Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

SBC Pulleys,Brackets, Serpentine? Help w/ selection...

OK, I'm down to pulleys/brackets
      SBC, 73' Camaro I don't have 10K in the block, it's just an old 4-bolt w/ around 300 HP,
      I've only got about $1500 in it.
      I don't want old school v-belts
      I will run AC and PS

I am looking at Vintage Air Front Runner or Billet Specialties Tru Trac, but I'm not looking to drop 2000$+ on a setup (I can't see putting more $ into a pulley set than I have in the whole block)

So, my criteria
      - Low Cost
      - AC pump on pass. side
      - serpentine belt(s)
      - standard resevior PS is fine
      - no need for polished or flash, natural finish is fine

So, what branckets/pulleys do you recommend or run yourself?
      or just bite the bullet and get a Front Runner?

Update>>> I succumbed to the power of the aluminum truss of the V.A. setup, order placed<<<
      Anyone with one with any feedback?

Country Flag: United States
      bite the bullet

You could always look in the junkyards for a GM style serpentine system....should be under $250..that being a guess.

Good question, I'm undecided also. I was looking at the March 21150 kit. I can get it through Jegs for $1435. What about a Group Purchase through GP Superstore?
      Keith

Try Grove Components. Cheaper. BETTER.

any other non-mainstream suggestions?

I really like my Concept One system and the guys who make it will work with you if you need something custom.
      http://www.conceptonepulleys.com/
      there is also Jones Racing where you can build your own hardcore system (havent tried them but looks cool). http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

Gm Tpi

Quote Originally Posted by The T-man
      any other non-mainstream suggestions?
      I was in the same boat as you, couldn't see spending more on serpentine billet than i have in my entire block...

I suggest you look at a TPI setup from a third gen camaro or firebird. They meet all of your criteria, and you can get them on eBay for $150-$200. I can personally vouch for Eric Elzy who sells there as camaro688, but doesn't always have them listed. You could do a junk yard crawl yourself too, if you want to.

You'll need the smog delete idler puller but i got the brackets, all bolts, and all pulleys plus smog delete idler for a little over $200. They were all cleaned up and sandblasted and steel parts were painted so i bolted it right on. When you order AC or PS pump or belts or any other replacement parts, you can just go to your local autoparts store and say you need part X for a '92 Camaro--cheap, and reliable.

Next best choice, in my opinion, is the GM performance parts serpentine set-up powder coated (which i think is basically the same thing) for about $800.

I can't believe I have convinced myself that the V.A. Frontrunner is worth buying, my order is pending

anyone bought this and wished they hadn't ???

Hey its your money not ours...if you dont want it dont get it

well, I figured I will never have to think about my access. and pulleysd/brackets again

I have the VA front runner system, and yet to install it. I do have a GM factory serp system, powder coated black and the pulleys that go wtih it, they are powder coated red! Sorry, I purchased it that way from a swap meet some time ago. If you are interested in the GM one let me know. It is sitting in a crate outside all wrapped up. It is very clean and would work great. Change the color to what you want, some hardware and you are off and running, factory style to boot.

PM me if you are interested, love to help out a fellow brother! I can get you pictures if you are intersted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy
      I was in the same boat as you, couldn't see spending more on serpentine billet than i have in my entire block...

I suggest you look at a TPI setup from a third gen camaro or firebird. They meet all of your criteria, and you can get them on eBay for $150-$200. I can personally vouch for Eric Elzy who sells there as camaro688, but doesn't always have them listed. You could do a junk yard crawl yourself too, if you want to.

You'll need the smog delete idler puller but i got the brackets, all bolts, and all pulleys plus smog delete idler for a little over $200. They were all cleaned up and sandblasted and steel parts were painted so i bolted it right on. When you order AC or PS pump or belts or any other replacement parts, you can just go to your local autoparts store and say you need part X for a '92 Camaro--cheap, and reliable.

Next best choice, in my opinion, is the GM performance parts serpentine set-up powder coated (which i think is basically the same thing) for about $800.

do you have any pictures of your set up?

I have the VA in black hardcoat and love it. Installation was easy and everything fit right the first time. Yeah, it's pricey but not so bad when you consider that you get a new water pump, alternator, p/s pump, and a/c compressor. It came out cheaper and easier than buying everything seperately.

I'm running the late 80's serp setup too. Nice. And like was mentioned earlier, you can get replacement parts anywhere.

Doug
      Doug Gulley

66 C10 383, AFR 190, Accel SuperRam, Hyd Roller 230*/236* 280XFI, aftermarket T56, *under construction*

I'm suprised no one has mentioned
      Black Mountain Precision

1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Lowend
      I'm suprised no one has mentioned
      Black Mountain Precision
      I would assume that the cog belt set up is noisy …. And it looks wide not good for cramped engine compartments

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com