Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

best way to adjust rockers??

motor is a 496 BBC. hydraulic roller cam. AFR heads. the rockers are comp pro-magnums. i was wondering the best way to adjust the rockers. i think i have them a bit too tight..motor was running good and would actually idle before. i had to lossen 5 exhaust rockers to re-torque headstuds. before this, the motor would actually idle at about 850 and ran good. now she won't idle, and runs pretty rough. the only thing that i can think of is that the rockers were not adjusted properly.
      here's what i did...

made sure intake valve just closed. took slack out of rocker until pushrod had resistance turning. went another half turn and locked it down. i'm curious as to zero lash being when the pushrod has resistance when turning or when there is no more slack for the pushrod to move up and down...

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

wir müssen Leben bis wir Sterben...

Country Flag: United States
      Well zero lash is when you are able to turn the push rod a little bit around, while there is no slack to move the push rod up and down.

If you do a search on youtube.com, there are some nice videos showing how to adjust valve lash.

Comp Cam has a short informative video on youtube as well as V8 TV.

good luck
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

lash setting

Not to ask a stupid question, but did you make sure it was at TDC on each cylinder before you set the lash? One way to tell if one is really of is to look at the setscrew in the middle- the intake & exhausts should be of similar depths respective to each other. If you see one slightly off, that might be your first place to look.

yep, made sure. soon as the intake valve closed, i adjusted the exhaust. i checked out the youtube stuff. pretty informative. i'm gonna try to readjust the valves tonight and see what happens.
      what kind of problem can i expect if i don't get it tight enough, other than noise? thanks again...

another thing i was thinkin, if i adjust the valves when cold, won't the pressure be high when the valves pump up?

OHCbird, where at in NE florida are you from?
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

wir müssen Leben bis wir Sterben...

1. If to loose: noise, reduced duration (not overall lift), more wear.

2. No- the hydraulics take up the slack & are limited by the internal plunger of the lifter.

3. Jax, but I'm in Iraq, again. I'll be back sometime later this year (fingers crossed). I'll drop you a line when I get back down there.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com