Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Any members from Germany?

just wondering if there were any members on here from Germany. It looks like i'll be moving over next summer/spring, and was just wanting to see if there were any fellow PT guys over there. later...

Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

wir müssen Leben bis wir Sterben...

hi jeff,
      not directly, but i´m a german and i live in Luxembourg.
      Luxembourg is on the borderline to germany

do you go in holiday to germany or for ever ?
      greets
      Klaus

from the looks of things, i'll be moving over for good. my wife is from there and her family is still there. i'll probably be moving in or around the Stuttgart area. i can't wait to get my car finished so i can take it with me next summer. how hard is it to get TÜV on older cars in Germany. last time i was there, i drove german cars, and didn't have to worry about it.
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

Country Flag: United States
      gmjj13, I'm there right now, but I'll be out after the summer. Look me up when you get here.

From what I can tell TÜV for a stock older car is not too bad. TÜV for a modified is a different story. Knowing it was temporary, I didn't bring mine with (yes I have been gonig through withdrawl all this time).
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Jeff,

getting it licensed shouldn't be a problem. You can always first have it licensed here in the Netherlands. Once you have the Dutch license, the Germans have to accept it as part of European legislation.

I'm not really familiar with the German rules once it comes to liability and the annual TUV check for older cars (newer cars need a TUV approval for every modification made, even as simple as a gas cap), but I know there are some modified cars running around there so it should be possible.

BTW; Nurburgring is not too far from Stuttgart!!!

i'll definately keep that in mind. what all is required for the dutch license? thanks for everyone's input so far, its nice to meet some cool people prior to the big move...
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Quote Originally Posted by gmjj13
      what all is required for the dutch license?
      Just the prove that you've officially imported it into the Europian Community. Don't worry about it, importing cars older than 360 months into the Netherlands can be imported as antiqueties, so you pay 0% (yes, it says zero!) importtax and low sales tax (6%) over the declared value, so for custom purposes it isn't going to be worth much . After that you can make an appointment with one of the testingstations (RDW = RijksDienstWegverkeer) who will test it for being safe on the roads and to stamp the VIN number onto a place that can't be easily remove (e.g. the rear frame rails opposed to the front subframe). Once you pass that, you will get your Dutch license.

Cars prior to 1973 don't have a model-license (typegoedkeuring) so every mod is allowed as long as it is safe! You can even put a 16 cilinder in it. These cars are not even tested for emissions! Basically it's just lighting, brakes, steering. If/when you want to do it that way, let me know and I'll help you through it.

René

do i have to be a citizen of the netherlands in order to do this?
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

Quote Originally Posted by neki67
      Jeff,

getting it licensed shouldn't be a problem. You can always first have it licensed here in the Netherlands. Once you have the Dutch license, the Germans have to accept it as part of European legislation.

I'm not really familiar with the German rules once it comes to liability and the annual TUV check for older cars (newer cars need a TUV approval for every modification made, even as simple as a gas cap), but I know there are some modified cars running around there so it should be possible.

BTW; Nurburgring is not too far from Stuttgart!!!
      The TÜV is the problem, and I don't think bringing it though the Netherlands helps this. If you've had the car for more than 6months you don't need to pay taxes in Germany. So I don't see a benefit in doing that.

Here's what I have gotten from talking with a few people.
      If you want an historical permit, everything must be stock or stock replacement. This keeps the annual renewal costs cheap.

Once you modify, it must go under the same rules as the new cars. This means you pay a tax based on the emissions level and engine displacement. This can get extremely expensive, fast. To give an example, a 15year old catalyst fuel injected 2.0L car costs equivalent to $500/year to renew. Plus, each modification must be documented with papers. The papers must show that the part has met standards (through simulation and testing to standards) set by the TÜV for use on this particular vehicle. These are official forms completed by the manufacturer. Otherwise the car will have to undergo several thousands of dollars in testing to get the parts approved. If you change parts after TÜV, you have to get the TÜV updated, or you can have two problems:
      1) If the Polizei stops you or does a spot check and finds an undocumented mod, you will get fined heavily.
      2) If you get into an accident you will get fined heavily, the insurance company can deny coverage, and you can be held responsible for the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by amcmike
      Here's what I have gotten from talking with a few people. If you want an historical permit, everything must be stock or stock replacement. This keeps the annual renewal costs cheap.

Once you modify, it must go under the same rules as the new cars. This means you pay a tax based on the emissions level and engine displacement.

now i'm a bit confused. since my car is not stock, i will have to have thousands of dollars worth of testing done on it?
      that almost seems like its not worth finishing and bringing it over if its going to be tested to new car standards. the car is being built to better than new specs, safety wise and performance wise. i was hoping that it would be easier to get registered, since it should be safer and have better emisions than a stock car of the same year...

Mike, where at in Germany do you live? Talk to you later...
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

PMd ya.

i dont think so.
      the german tüv is not realy a problem.
      when you have do a good and clean work on your car, i see no problem.
      last week i have a visit in germany with my wifes oldsmobile.
      i live here in luxembourg, and the local Tüv from Luxembourg will see a complete test report from the german Tüv.

no problem. bigger engine, 4-link rear kit, complete suspension modified and so on.
      all modification now are certified.
      greets
      Klaus

Klaus,

thanks for the great info. what all is involved with getting modifications "certified"? Thanks.
      Jeff J. aka JJ

1969 Camaro
      1952 Chevy Truck

hi
      i will send you more and detailed info later today
      greets
      Klaus

the german rules are less restrictive than the Danish ones are, but it depends on the modifications... if you have a clost to stock vehiecle with bolt ons and a big engine you should have no problems what so ever... a DIY modified suspension, is another story, then you have to document that it will actually hold up! but if it is a company that made the suspension part, it can be approved without an actual TÜV paper if it is manufactured by a company that produces a big volume of this and have faliure tested it... infact it is under the same rule as alloywheels are approved..

i know this for a fact, asd i have installed a TCI ifs on my 32 ford, and had to go thru that very process...

jeff, i send you a pm
      greets
      Klaus

you guys got the best race track in the WORLD!!!! so jealous!!!!!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com