Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wilwood bearings Second gens

Do the Wilwood hubs take a factory type bearing?

Got an extra set of early hubs wondering about using a hybrid bearing for late spindles.

Call Wilwood and get the bearing number, then compare it to a factory setup.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Last time I called their tech I knew more than they guy on the phone about the caliper!

Did you ask for the bearing number, if they use factory bearings? I would imagine they'd have no clue what bearings a second gen Camaro hub uses.

Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

I'll see if they have it on their parts schematic.

No the tech guys had no clue on their GM Metric caliper questions I was asking, not bearings. I might can see if there is a number on the old ones to reference. I would think if I got the same guy he'd just give me a Wilwood part #.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Fix
      I would think if I got the same guy he'd just give me a Wilwood part #.
      That'd be my guess.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Country Flag: United States
      I know that they take the factory bearings on a Mustang II setup (SET12/13) and I also know that those bearings are interchangeable with the standard GM SET6/2 or SET6/34 setups as the outside diameters of the cups are the same.

To the best of my knowledge, Wilwood has a few forgings with different flange offsets which they then machine for as many kits as they possibly can. That would certainly explain why some of their kits have such large track width changes.

What are you considering a "Hybrid" bearing?

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Skip next time you call Wilwood ask for carl, I'm not sure if he's still there but that man knows his product, every time I talk to the tech guy he knows NOTHING!!!
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Thanks I'll see if Carl is still there.

Tobin the A34 bearing is listed by some others as a hybrid to use in early rotors on late spindles. The ID is correct for the later spindles.

Inner bearing is the same (A6). Outer bearing is an A34.

Early outer:
      BCA/NATIONAL Part # A2 More Info {Cone Length=0.475" Bore=0.75" Outer Diameter=1.781" Width=0.61 Stand Out=0.135" Cup Length=0.475" Cone Radius=1.046"}

Late outer:
      BCA/NATIONAL Part # A3 {Cone Length=0.55" Bore=0.8437" Outer Diameter=1.9687" Width=0.69 Stand Out=0.14" Cup Length=0.55" Cone Radius=1.046"}

Hybrid outer:
      BCA/NATIONAL Part # A34 More Info {Cone Length=0.475" Bore=0.8437" Outer Diameter=1.781" Width=0.61 Stand Out=0.135" Cup Length=0.475" Cone Radius=1.05"}

The outer bearing for the late model kit is the same as the "hybrid A34". Not sure about the race as I didn't knock it out of my new Wilwoods. Early kit (an old used set I have) has a different outer bearing, and the race is different as the hybrid doesn't drop in correctly. I guess I'll have to go get some earlybearings and see if they are identical to the "early" Wilwood.

Thanks for the clarification...I wasn't sure how you were using the hybrid term given the context. Since "early" and "late" are relative terms, I've always found it simpler to just be explicit and use dimensions.

The SET34 bearings share the OD of the SET2 but that's it as the cups are different angles. We regularly interchange the two for second generation F-body applications depending on the spindles being used, but you do need to swap cups to do so. Sounds like you've gotten it sorted out.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Yes I have an old set of used Wilwoods after I bought them found they were "early". And it looks like even the "new" Wilwoods for "late" spindles just use the hybrid so probably the same hub for early and late kits.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com