Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What Master Cylinder for 1st gen all drum to LS1 Front Disc Conversion

Everyone, I have searched through the threads and am not able to find what I am looking for, could someone point me in the right direction?

I have installed LS1 front disc calibers/rotors on my 68 camaro that was all drums.

Can I use the factory 1968 Drum+Drum Master Cylinder?

If not, which master cylinder will work and should I buy. I will eventually put the LS1 rear discs on as well, but probably not for a while. I do have a proportioning valve all ready to go, just need to make sure i have the correct master cylinder.

Thanks for your time and help, dave

Power or Manual brakes?

If power, you're looking for something with a 1" bore (that's the stock size for an LS1 F-body). Assuming you're running a stock style booster, the M/C from a 68-76 corvette with MANUAL brakes should bolt right up and work fine.

If you're running manual brakes, I think something with a 15/16 or 7/8 bore would work, but not sure what would have enough fluid volume. There's a M/C for a '77 Malibu with manual brakes that has a 15/16 bore, but it might not have enough stroke/volume to work....

Not sure what the stock bore size is for the F/R drums. I think it might be 1" which means it might actually work OK with power brakes. Just make sure that it doesn't have the Residual Pressure Valves in the outlet port for the front since that would make the front calipers tend to not release fully.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com