Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

4 drum to 4 disc questions

Working on my old man's 1968 ford LTD 2 door... he loves his big old cruiser.
      One of the front bearings cooked and ate the drivers front spindle. the car has had 4 wheel, manual drum brakes on it, and we decided it was time for an upgrade.
      Now, i could have just called up companies and ordered up a set of aftermarket discs for all 4 corners, but i like to save some cash, use factory parts, and, with a car that he just drives and doesnt race or autocross, factory 4 wheel discs will work fine.
      So, after reserching, heres what i've got... 1977 ford Thunderbird front spindles have identical mounting points and bolt right on. that gets me the front setup taken care of, and relatively cheap, cuz they made about a million of those cars (dad and i have 3) and parts are readily available at any parts store. As for the rear, i discovered that a 9" big bearing housing has the same flange as a 8.8, so i nabbed a set of rear discs off of a 92 crown vic, drum in hat parking brake, the whole 9 yards. New parts and it aws good to go.
      Now, with the corners taken care of, i have to deal with plumbing. Running lines is easy, but i need to know what prop valve/ master cylinder setup to use... heres what i have currently to choose from...
      master cylinder/ prop valve off of 77 tbird
      Master cylinder/ prop valve off of 68 Galaxie with disc/ drum setup
      master ylinder off of 92 crown vic
      Master cylinder off of 95 town car

I'm not afraid to go searching for other parts, but i would really like to keep it as factory parts as possible, meaning, if my dad is driving in the middle of Idaho with his car and it breaks, all he has to do is locate a master cylinder for a _______ instead of having to call Wilwood. make sense?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Lee

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com