Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 61 66 67 68 69 70 71
    Results 1,401 to 1,412 of 1412
      Country Flag: United States
      I received my Quick Time LS Low Profile bellhousing. Therefore, I got the T56 Magnum installed. I had no idea the transmission had a "normal" 5 degree indexing toward the driver... When I installed a White Lightning shifter, I had to use a 2-1/4" offset in it to get lined up with my console:

Now, with a higher revving engine, I needed to match my differential to this new setup. Since I had previously swapped over to a 35-spline floater setup, I needed a new pumkin to match. I selected Strange's HD PRO Aluminum chunk with their 35-spline "S-Track" torque-biased setup with 3.70 gears:

In addition, I have been racing my '89 Mustang for the last 6-7 years. I installed Maximum Motorsports torque arm setup on it and I loved the difference it made to the car! Therefore, I am losing my top bars on my Bug's rear setup and doing the same thing. I shopped around for a while to see what products were available. Since I have a Chassiswork's rear clip and Fab 9 housing, I decided to go with their torque arm setup:

With the removal of the top canted control arms, the housing needs to be located with the use of a Watts Link or a Panhard bar. I decided to go with a Panhard bar. I located the brackets I need to build my Panhard bar setup from UB Machine:

Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

I also have a few changes for the front suspension as well! A number of years ago, I got GMR to build me a set of spindles and hubs. To get the correct geometry (instant center and roll center) that I want to run, I just wasn't getting enough clearance between my front tires and the top of the inner fenders. In addition, the bottom of my bellhousing and transmission were hanging a little too low for street driving. Therefore, I checked around on available products that would remedy my situation. I settled on Speedtech's AFX spindles. I looked at their "Extreme" spindles but they had too much drop in them as well.

I did end up using their Extreme steering arms for better turn-in while autocrossing since it provides much better Ackermann effect:

I worked with the guys at QA1 for my ball joints. They were great to work with! I needed Chrysler "small" screw-in housings with 2nd Gen Camaro ball studs. No problem! Great guys! I will be back in touch with them soon for my Carbon Fiber Driveshaft!

Ray

As an added measure of convenience/safety, I wanted to have the ability to raise my front end if necessary to aid in loading the car in a trailer, deal with a sloped driveway, etc. While checking out the Supercar Kit cars, I saw a product used with these cars that's similar to the product used on the new C8 Corvettes. This company sells a kit that can lift the car 1", 1-1/2", or 2-1/2". I selected the 2-1/2" model. That lift number is at the shock. Since my shocks are installed at an angle, that probably translates to about a 2" rise when needed. This isn't the exact kit (this one is for all 4 corners), but it gives you an idea of the product.

This is an example of them installed. With my 7" Penske shocks, I will still be able to run a 10" spring with the setup:

Here's one of the kit cars with them installed:

Ray

You may have wondered why I went with Mid-Length headers this time around. I've decided to have as smooth as possible undercarriage on the car. I plan to construct a belly pan on the car. The Bug normally has running boards on it. With my extended fenders on the car, these running boards are extended on each end to match up with the fenders. I've decided to construct my own sheet metal running boards. I want to make them "deep" enough to house a set of sidepipes on the car. I've always liked the sound of the C2 Corvette's chambered muffler sidepipes. Therefore, that's what I'm going to construct for my car.

With the Mid-Length headers, I'll be able to exit from under the car right behind the front fenders and carry right down the side of the car. I plan to have heat sleeves placed on the pipes/mufflers to ensure I don't affect any paint or burn any legs! For the events that may have a decibel rating limitation, I plan to construct a "quieter" exhaust version with Cobra mufflers with packing. There will be a V-band clamp at the collectors to facilitate this quick swap out when necessary.
      Ray

Do you have more info on those shock collar things, like where to get them? I'd like to look into that.

On those mufflers, those are the ones I love to run. They sound outstanding on LS engines. The last set I put on were on my mother's 2001 Silverado with an HO 5.3. You can quiet them down but keep the same tone by putting 12 inch glass packs at the very back of the exhaust, although where you'll find 12 extra inches on a sidepiped Bug is beyond me. If you ran the exhaust out the back, they'd fit between the axle and tips. But as they are, they won't be obnoxiously loud anyway.

Nice job fitting the Miata dash, it really looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Do you have more info on those shock collar things, like where to get them? I'd like to look into that.

On those mufflers, those are the ones I love to run. They sound outstanding on LS engines. The last set I put on were on my mother's 2001 Silverado with an HO 5.3. You can quiet them down but keep the same tone by putting 12 inch glass packs at the very back of the exhaust, although where you'll find 12 extra inches on a sidepiped Bug is beyond me. If you ran the exhaust out the back, they'd fit between the axle and tips. But as they are, they won't be obnoxiously loud anyway.
      Hey Vimes,

I unpacked my actual setup:

Here's a link to their website: https://www.ramliftpro.com/

They are located in the Houston, Texas area. The lifting is controlled by a momentary switch. I discussed their operation with the owner. He said you can stop the lift at any height within its lift range. He said you could operate your vehicle at any desired lift. Pretty cool stuff!

In reference to the chambered mufflers, I plan to run these on track days and around town to Coffee and Cars events, etc. If there is a decibel limit event I want to compete in, I did order a set of Classic Chambered's "Cobra" mufflers as well. As mentioned, since it will be a very simple exhaust run from the V-Band clamp at the header, I will swap the whole system, when necessary.

Both mufflers have a 3" inside diameter:

The Cobra mufflers have fiberglass packing in them to quiet them down and the Powerstick chambered mufflers don't. The chambered mufflers have a 3-1/2" outside diameter and the Cobra mufflers are 4". I'll build everything to fit the 4" diameter.

As mentioned, I will have both system covered with Heat Sleeves. Their material is stretchable from 2" - 4" to fit over the pipe/mufflers:

Here's the company's website:

http://classicchambered.com/index.html

Here's a short video of my 40" Powersticks on a Small Block Chevy:

I can't wait to hear them on an LS motor. They only LS motor I've heard them on is Detroit Speed's 3rd Gen Camaro
      Ray

That Ramlift Pro is pretty sweet! Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      Nice job fitting the Miata dash, it really looks good.
      Hey Boosted,

Thanks! Because the Bug's cab sits between the fenders, we actually had to cut 4" off of each side of the dash to match the width needed.

The gauge cluster pod works really well with the RLC Racing Logging unit I purchased a numbers of years back:

I plan to place a couple of analog gauges flanking the logger:

Unfortunately, the company has since went out of business. I think I have all the bits and pieces to still use it. If it craps out, I can swap it out at that time. I have too much invested in it to go a different way now!

As previously mentioned, when all of the modifications are complete, I plan to cover the entire dash/console with a simulated leather to pull it all together.
      Ray

Thanks for the link.

On those mufflers, don't be surprised if you find yourself cruising down the highway in a range between 50MPH to 80MPH, WOT going up and downshifting for the decel just to listen to it. They sound awesome on an LS engine, especially with a crossover.

Any updates on the bug? Love what your doing with this.

Looking for updates, Does anyone know the project status?

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 61 66 67 68 69 70 71

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com