Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

I have a ride height issue.....

Alright....I got a ride height issue here. One side of my car appears to be higher than the other side. The drivers side is fine however on the passanger side there are issues both front and rear. I took a measurement from the top of the tire in the rear (at centerline of wheel) to the bottom of the wheel lip. On the drivers side it's 2 1/8 inches. The passanger side is 2 1/2 inches, a difference of 3/8 of an inch. In the front the drivers side wheel lip (at centerline of wheel) is 25 1/8 inches from the ground and on the passanger side is 25 7/8 inches, a difference of 3/4 of an inch. Now, I know whats causing the front to be high is the spring on that side isn't seated properly. I'm guessing that if I can get that spring seated properly in front that maybe it will take care of my 3/8 problem in the rear. My question is, if it doesn't, would I be crazy to put a 3/8 lowering block on the passanger side to get it down to where it needs to be? I know that some first gen camaros have a problem with "leaning" to one side. I want to fix that if that's my problem. Thanks.

Last edited by trapin; 06-01-2008 at 04:16 PM.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Get the front spring seated properly in the pocket. Then take measurements from the fender lip to the hub center of the wheel. If it's still off, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Casual onlookers won't notice it if it's off by even as much as a half inch. It'd just be a headache in your mind.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Tony, make sure your garage slab in level. My car sits different heights in the rear if the pavement or concrete is unlevel.
      1969 CAMARO RS

2002 LS1-T56 Dyno results: 452 rwhp, 425 rwtq
      Project pics of my '69
      Lateral-G Feature Page
      Camaro Performers Magazine Feature

It's fairly level in there. Not enough of an imperfection to throw off the numbers. I know this probably would not be a problem for some...but I notice it. And if I don't get it fixed it's going to drive me crazy.

- Start date; June '01

I'll say you have a ride height issue!!! if there is 2 1/2" between the tire and wheel well, its way too hi... LOL

Like you said, fix the spring first. I would bet that makes it better at least. If it's still off, I would drive the car for a bit and see if it settles any. Adding a spacer LATER can be done...REMEMBER YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING ONLY STUFF THAT MATTERS TO GET IT ON THE ROAD (Steves Roll, Stop, Steer criteria).

Quote Originally Posted by Rubes
      Like you said, fix the spring first. I would bet that makes it better at least. If it's still off, I would drive the car for a bit and see if it settles any. Adding a spacer LATER can be done...
      I agree! Definitely reset the spring, but I wouldn't mess with any ride-height stuff until you've driven it and given the suspension a chance to flex and settle. Let us know how it works out!
      Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
      2006 Infiniti G35x
      Former Build - 1988 Monte Carlo SS - ZZ4-cammed TPI 355, F-body serpentine conversion, World-Class 5-speed, Eibachs/Bilsteins, Howe tall LBJs, 34mm hollow front swaybar, 3/4" straight rear bar, 17" Coys C55s, 12" front discs, and more. Sold on 2/28/11.

It's gravitational forces at work. Move the car over 3 feet and re-measure. Also, you car will be lower at the equator, I think.

No seriously, set your shocks to dead soft. Bounce up and down on the car a few times (the bumpers, not the roof) and re-measure. Probably just the evil stiction at work. And yes, one corner can affect another. Nothing to worry about until the car has some miles on it.

Car looks great by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      It's gravitational forces at work. Move the car over 3 feet and re-measure. Also, you car will be lower at the equator, I think.

No seriously, set your shocks to dead soft. Bounce up and down on the car a few times (the bumpers, not the roof) and re-measure. Probably just the evil stiction at work. And yes, one corner can affect another. Nothing to worry about until the car has some miles on it.

Car looks great by the way.
      As Steve said, don't worry about this until the car is moving. Afer some miles the springs will settle a bit. The garage floor is not the ideal for this and "pretty level" is not level enough. If we are talking 3/8" here, than you need to take it to a shop with a plate and scales. Don't get distracted by this right now. It is a non issue.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Distraction is pretty much a way of life for me.

I'll go ahead and wiggle that front spring some. Once it's seated I'll just let the springs settle where they may. If any adjustment is needed after 500 miles than I might do something.

I'm only fussing about this now because I got the car back on the ground and am preparing to do my front brake install. I had to take a break from the door glass...it was driving me out of my mind.

Thanks guys. Oh...and I owe you for that little pop there Steve. LOL!!!

- Start date; June '01

Quote Originally Posted by trapin
      Distraction is pretty much a way of life for me.
      Thats why you asked us to help you remember??
      I should start a thread of my own to have people kick my butt to get mine done too.

Tony,

I have a tip on the glass. Adjust the bottom stops so that the top of the glass is sandwiched between the inner guides and the outside felt. If it goes too low, the windows will rattle when they are all the way down.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Have you tried/compared the measurements from the ground to the center of the front/lower A-arm bolt?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

No I've not. I will check that tomorrow.

Andrew, thanks for the tip. I'll remember that one.

- Start date; June '01

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com