Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Corvette brake for my 71 chevelle

I am new here and have seen a lot of posting for upgrades for a corvette brakes. I would like to get some help on doing this type of or upgrade. I have a disk set up in front and 10 bolt out back. I would like to piece it together as I have pretty good access to parts at little or no cost. I am not sure if a c4,c5,c6 set would be best. I am looking for little mod but best performance. Part number or list of items need would be great. I have 97-05 C5 calipers front and rear. black not red ones.

---------Fabian Sanchez-----------
      71 velle Project Syckness ATS,Rushforth wheels,PRRC, Autometer,UMI, Hotchkis,QA1,hood-latches.com, comp cams,

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43881

First off, a few questions for you to think about. What size wheels do you plan to run? Based on the picture you posted, are we to assume that you're going to be changing to lower profile wheels and tires or are you hoping to stick with the drag setup shown? If you're hoping to stick with the drag setup, it may be possible to run the C5 components with minimal wheel backspacing up front, but you should check fitment with the templates offered by most of the big-brake companies selling C5/C6 based kits. There isn't a whole lot of reason to put big-brakes on the front of a car with drag skinnies since you're tire limited with respect to braking performance, but to each his own.

Also, since you already have OE discs up front, that means that you'll need to source either OE drum hubs or an aftermarket equivalent in order to run most of the C5/C6 kits currently on the market since they all use the slip-on C4/C5/C6 rotors.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

sorry this is a pic of the car when I bought it last year. This was a great staring point for my project.(Gift from the wife) I am looking to run 18 or 19 up front and 20's out back. I am looking to build a daily that handles like a vette. Its has a 383 with a mild cam, gear drive, demon carb, edelbrock intake, baldwin motion valve covers. I also have a original baldwin motion hood that will be going on pretty soon. I have also installed QA1 12 point shocks out back with 1" hotchkis lowering coils and tubular arms Upper and lower out back. I will be working on the front end this weekend and would like to get some idea on what it will take.
      71 velle Project Syckness ATS,Rushforth wheels,PRRC, Autometer,UMI, Hotchkis,QA1,hood-latches.com, comp cams,

Are your caliper assemblies complete with caliper bodies, pins, boots, pad abutment brackets (PABs) and pads? I ask because if they're not and you need to buy PABs anyway, you can easily fit 340mm [13.4"] C6 Z51 rotors or larger inside of 19" wheels and the cost difference isn't that great. The 20's in the back are going to dwarf a 305mm [12"] rotor combination like the base C5/C6 use, so I was thinking you may be happier with the 330mm [13"] Z51 rear.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Attached is what I have so far. These were given to me by a buddy who decidd to use Wilwood 6S. I can pretty go any route at this time. Any sugg would help as brake swaps are unfamiliar terretory to me. I have been to SEMA last couple of years an plan on going this year. I seen a couple of car with the set up I posted. But Z51 would be best I am sure I can get my hands on a set. Would they be just for the rear of front as well.

Thanks for all your input.

If you use what you have for the rear the easy swap is ls1 F-body rear brackets. The C5 stuff will bolt right to it. I do not know if they can be used for the Z51 like Tobin is talking about. With the stock rear the brackets bolt right on and only need a small spacer to center the caliper over the rotor. On some axles the wheel register will need to be turned down on the very inside edge so the rotor will seat properly. by swapping the brackets side to side the e-brake will pull forward and can be made to work with the stock intermediate cable. If you get the e-brake cable brackets from the f-body it will make it easier as you can cut them up and use them for both the e-brake and holding the flex lines.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

What year of LS1 F-body should I use for the rear? Will this push out the wheel?

If you want to buy a complete kit, I can highly recommend http://www.touring-classics.com/index.htm. They are a sponsor here, and the brakes are awesome. Noel is a nice guy and a big help.Great customer service too!

I am looking to make my own kit as I have more time and resources than money. I have a buddy at a junk yard that helps me out with parts. I think I can get the parts for pennies on the dollar. I can buy it but would like to buy only what is really needed. Like the hubs, bearings, rotors and pads. I would like to get parts numbers or part info on what I can use with minimal mod. Any one has a template for the brakets for a A Body conversion? I will be using the Kore3 hubs and brakets.

Quote Originally Posted by 1badchevelle
      What year of LS1 F-body should I use for the rear? Will this push out the wheel?
      Any 98-02 f-body will work, yes it will push out the wheel the difference in thickness between the brake drum and the new rotor.
      I used the C4 heavy duty rotor for mine in the front I was planning on running TTII's and they won't work with the C5 rotor. I used the SpeedTech brackets http://www.speedtech-performance.com...prod/prd51.htm
      I picked up mine used here on the board for quite a bit less.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com