Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

I need suggestions

Ok so I need to dump the shock towers in the my cougar for engine clearance. I initially was thinking a mustang II conversion, but read about the flexing due to the subframe or whatever you want to call it not being designed to take the load without the shock towers. So, I remembered about year ones 66 mustang and they used the martz weld in subframe. Thought it might be a good idea since they used it on that and Bud Brutsman's 69, plus it had firewall braces. I was really leaning towards it because if they used it, it couldn't be all that bad. Then after more research and finding this forum, I found tbarts (spelling?) thread and people generally don't care for martz. So now I'm in a bit of a rut and don't have any idea where to go. Hard to compare since all the flexing is from GM cars with different set ups.

Im looking to get the cougar in the mid 0.8g range which is about modern mustang performance, mores better but this wont be some kind of race car. I want something I can drive whenever, where ever, and have a blast doing it. So it will see some track time, just I don't care much about racing others as I do enjoying myself and being able to drive it like I stole it without getting arrested. Pretty sure I'm going with a g-bar/link rear suspension since it seems people like it here. Will it do what I want? Or should I look elsewhere(suggestions appreciated)?

Also budget is about $5K at max.

one more thing It's going to be nose heavy with the motor approx. 750lbs so I'm not expecting miracles.

Kenneth N.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Boss 429 clone under construction

Country Flag: United States
      Why such a heavy engine? front end weight really hurts handling, even with the best suspension.
      David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Its going to be a stroked 460, waiting for boss heads to be realeased from jon kaase. So its a boat anchor. I could weigh a little less its just an estimate. Again not looking for miracles, just guidance. I'll try to keep the engine as light as possible. It will probably be in the high 600's at lightest. If I wanted a real corner carver I would have done an aluminum windsor with 3v cleveland heads for the motor.

Apparently I got the wrong engine weight info. Since a stock 460 weighs about 650lbs with iron heads this should be in the ball park or less.
      Kenneth N.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Boss 429 clone under construction

not to throw stones or anything but why do you want to cut up such a nice cougar? if it were me i' do the CHI headed 351c, you can get around 600hp or more from a built stroker clevie with those heads, throw in a 5 speed and some TCP or GW front suspension bits and the G-Bar in the rear.

hmmm, actually that's pretty close to what i'm going to do with my 69 standard cougar. the plan is for a long rod, roller cammed, aluminum headed 351w, AOD, TCP power rack, TCP G-Bar rear and probably a custom built Opentracker roller front suspension with coilovers.
      Do you have a 69 or 70 stang? If so then check out www.69STANG.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com