Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

watts link bellcrank bearing loads

I'm designing a watts link bellcrank to be mounted on a 9". I will be using a big bolt in single shear for the pivot but the safety factor is huge so I am not concerned (besides it looks like a common method). The links will be in double shear and either 5/8 or 3/4 rod ends. My question is the load I should design the bellcrank bearings to handle. I'm looking at opposing tapered roller bearings with seals on both sides. I was thinking that 7500 lb radial load capability might be a good point to start from. That would give me a substantial safety factor to account for impact loads, etc. Even if if the bearings did fail, the bolt would not. Does 7500 lbs sound like a good place to start?

Thanks for any info

70 Mach I, dry sump & lots of mods
      70 1/2 Z28 project car

Right off the top of my head, I would say it should never see more than the weight of the rear of the car. Provided your not cornering at more than 1G. Now hitting curbs, there's no telling how high it may go. But, the more I think about it, the moment arm from the CG to the football (RC) is what will actually be applying the force, again with the weight of the rear. What's your RRC height? CG height? And, weight of the rear of the car?

Or, you can call Weaver and ask them what they design for. Not many companies make footballs, Weaver happens to be one.

Weaver Racing Products, 704-609-7423

Kevin

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5IjZf...www.fays2.net/

Is this for the mustang in your sig? Why not buy one?

Kevin,
      Thanks for the info. I called Weaver today.

I can't use a Fays set-up because it won't work with rear mounted coil-overs.

Thanks again
      70 Mach I, dry sump & lots of mods
      70 1/2 Z28 project car

The mid 1990's Ford Crown Victoria cars came with a rear-end mounted watts linkage. You could find one of those bearing/linkage assemblies and adapt it to your 9 inch: or just narrow the Vicky rear and throw it in. It comes with a forged arm and a good size bearing. I'd take a picture of mine but it's buried in my garage. It's been designed and tested to take the abuse. It'd probably be cheaper as well.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com