Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

I wanted it low, but this is ridiculous.

Finally got my GTO on the ground and it's just too damn low up front. So low that I'm wondering if something is wrong. I've got 1.5" of ground clearance at my downpipes (with R/A manifolds, not even headers), and just about 2" at my scattershield. I can't get my low-pro aluminum jack under the frame or even past the front swaybar. That's low! It looks great, but I sure can't drive it this way.

Here's my current front setup: SPC upper and lower arms with Howe tall balljoints on stock spindles. Eibach springs and Hotchkis shocks (as recommended by SC&C). The balljoints lowered the car .75", springs are 1-2", and SPC lowers are 1", for a total advertised drop 2.75-3.75". To offset that, I've got .75" spacers on top of the springs and 1" of spacers in the SPC lowers. So I should only be looking at a 1-2" drop, and it's obviously much, much more. And I don't even have any front sheetmetal installed (no hood, fenders, inners, header panel, grilles, etc).

Right now, my upper control arms are at almost a 25-degree angle, which certainly doesn't look right. It's so low that the front sway bar is laying on the outer tie rods. I've got to do something - considering swapping to BB Hotchkis springs, but I might just reinstall the stock springs.

Thoughts?
      Matt
      1965 Pontiac GTO – Spotts 421 Tripower | TKO600 | 3.90s | Vintage AC | Baers | Hotchkis/SPC/BMR Suspension | Intro Vistas | BFG KDW Redlines | 06 GTO Seats

If your lower control are pointing up (balljoint farther from ground than pickup point) at a 25 degree angle, that is a problem. I'd start with springs. Wonder if Eibach shipped you the wrong length? Or wrong rate?

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Jeez without a photo it sounds like something is installed incorrectly, or you were possibly mistakenly sent springs without the right free length.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

I've seen quite a few sets of Eibach springs that actually drop the car up to an inch more than advertised. I've also heard that with the Pontiac motors you should use the big block springs. Honestly, I'd love to see pictures of your situation if at all possible before making any assumptions.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

remember the front suspension is set on a near 2 to 1 ratio. Take an inch off of free spring height will lower the car close to 2 inches.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by zbugger
      I've seen quite a few sets of Eibach springs that actually drop the car up to an inch more than advertised. I've also heard that with the Pontiac motors you should use the big block springs. Honestly, I'd love to see pictures of your situation if at all possible before making any assumptions.
      actualy a pontiac with alu heads and manifold ecetera is mutchs closer to a iron headed shevy smal block in weight

I'll take pics today and post. I think something must be wrong as well.

When I bought the Eibachs, there was no SB/BB designation like the Hotchkis springs, and I think that's still the case. I chose Eibach over other brands, because that's what SC&C recommends with their Stage II+ package.

And just to clarify, the control arms are indeed at a 25-degree angle, with the lower balljoints being farther from the ground than the LCA mounts.

Will report back later.
      Matt
      1965 Pontiac GTO – Spotts 421 Tripower | TKO600 | 3.90s | Vintage AC | Baers | Hotchkis/SPC/BMR Suspension | Intro Vistas | BFG KDW Redlines | 06 GTO Seats

Took another look at things today, and took some pics. I think they speak for themselves that there is a problem here. Note the car is that low without any front sheetmetal.
      Matt

I'm guessing somone sent you the wrong spring. Way wrong.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

First pic shows distance from my swaybar to the ground - about 3.75" - obviously unacceptable. And that's with almost 2" of spacers on the front springs.

Second pic is of one of my other early GTOs - stock suspension, but also with a 1.25" front bar. That car has 10.5" of ground clearance at the front bar.

How could this front suspension possibly lower the car almost 10" over stock?
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      I'm guessing somone sent you the wrong spring. Way wrong.
      I thought the same thing, but I double-checked the part numbers and they appear to be right: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=EIB%2D3855%2D140&N=70 0+4294908153+4294907393+4294924707+400280+115&auto view=sku
      Matt

Do you have the spindles on the correct sides? Otherwise it has to be springs or wrong low control arms.
      Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage David
      actualy a pontiac with alu heads and manifold ecetera is mutchs closer to a iron headed shevy smal block in weight
      Yeah, well, I read his sig and figured all iron. Sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Goat
      Took another look at things today, and took some pics. I think they speak for themselves that there is a problem here. Note the car is that low without any front sheetmetal.
      It does look like something is wrong there. The tie rod looks pretty damn close to the frame from the angle of the picture. It also looks like you have less than an inch till the bump stop hits the frame. Do you still have the stock springs? I know it's a bit of work, but just for giggles it would be a good experiment to reinstall those to check actuall drop from the eibach's in comparison. And it totally looks like the angle of the lower control arm is wrong, but I haven't seen the SPC lowers in person to compare them against the stock stuff.
      Allen Ortega

I agree, that and the spring cup looks pretty deep too. Remember the spring will set your height and every mount surface change will effect everything.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

To answer a few questions - heads and intake are iron. Eibach doesn't have the BB/SB designation like the Hotchkis springs.

Spindles are stock and definitely on the correct sides.

I already have the shocks out and bar disconnected in preparation for re-installing the stock springs, but I really wanted some feedback (and I need to talk to Marcus tomorrow) before I start throwing parts at it.
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      I agree, that and the spring cup looks pretty deep too. Remember the spring will set your height and every mount surface change will effect everything.
      The SPC lowers have a 1" drop built into them, and they sell shims to allow ride height adjustment. I think the new Hotchkis lowers are the same design. Anyway, I've got a full 1" of spacers already installed, so the spring is sitting up at the top of the cup already. Without those spacers, the car would be sitting on the headpipes.
      Matt

Like I said before, I've seen Eibach's with a greater than advertised drop. I've seen them go from the advertised 1" to damn near a 3" drop if not a little more. It's usually the opposite that I've seen with the Hotchkis springs. Those I've seen drop less than advertised. Do us a favor and take some measurements off the stock and Eibach springs while they're out. Free height, wire thickness, coil count, that kinda thing. Not that it'll do us any good, but it'll get us a ball park of what you're working with.
      Allen Ortega

If its a true 1" at the LCA that would translate into a 2" total drop at body line. Combined with all the other parts your probably looking at a 5" drop total at body line. Take your measurments Allen stated then pop that stock spring back in. See where it goes.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by zbugger
      Yeah, well, I read his sig and figured all iron. Sue me.
      whats the matter did you had a bad day!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage David
      whats the matter did you had a bad day!!!!!
      No, I just made an assumption from known variables that were given to me by the first hand user and after much debate decided to use my assumption to my best abilities to create a suggestion that would fit the imposed situation. Not a shot at you. I'm just also known as an *******, smartass, jackass, and a punk ass. It's my born spirit. Feel free to use it against me. I do.
      Allen Ortega

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com