Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I am a big fan of the Hot Rod Garage show on the Motor Trend YouTube channel, and on the last episode, they did a LS3 swap into an A-body. Good stuff here, except they totally glossed over how they are managing the 4L65E electronics...
      that was a pretty good one, they make it look so easy, with the lift, and the sponsorships...
      I can't imagine how long the episodes would be if they covered everything.
      Keith C.

It's been a while since I have updated this thread or even taken the GTO out for a spin. I've been having a lot of fun with the Cougar, but lately I have been thinking about how I can improve the GTO.

Hooker is about to release a lot of very well engineered components for A-body swaps and it is tempting to redo my swap to make things better. Holley has new mounts, headers, and crossmembers that are engineered to work together and work around the Holley oil pan. Currently my inner tie rods hit the Autokraft pan so it would be nice to fix that.

I would also like to have new stainless headers and a full stainless exhaust, which Hooker will offer. I realize that it seems kind of dumb to redo a car that runs and drives, but I am always trying to make things better.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is swapping over to a 4L80E. Seems kind of nuts, but I have never owned a performance car with an automatic and I would really enjoy seeing what I can do in terms of tuning the transmission. To make the auto trans possible, I would also swap the ECU to a Holley Dominator.

I am open to all inputs....

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

You are Nuckin Futs Andrew!

Your GTO is well done already. Like I have said before, just build another. I know, with the Cougar and GTO space is becoming an issue.

I have the solution.

I will bring you my Buick and a 5.3. You can swap it in with a 4L80E and as many Holley parts as you like. You can even add a turbo.

Heck, I'll even let you pay for it so you don't feel like a fee loader...
      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

After I had made my previous posts, I realized that I never posted a picture of the MC as it was finally installed. You can see the new 5/16" rear line along with the adapter that was needed. The rear port for the front brakes worked as is.

I hope this is ok to post to your build thread. Wasn't sure where to put it...

I'm contemplating swapping my vac boosted MC to this non boosted MC.

I've been doing some autocross events and I want to make the brakes on my 79 TA more reactive to my inputs. Front brakes were upgraded up front to LS1 calipers and 13" rotors. I thought this would help the brakes to work sooner (or be more reactive) with more piston area but it seems roughly the same. Maybe it has more braking ability but the same reaction. They look much nicer than the factory brakes behind the wheel but looks aren't everything.

I don't like the slow reaction of hitting the pedal when approaching a corner and it takes a bit before I get the brakes to react. It seems like the booster is slowing my input down if that seems logical. Plus the factory MC is 1.125" bore.

The car still has the factory drums in the rear for now. I have most of the parts to swap in the LS1 12" rear disc minus some new rotors and pads.

What do you think? Was this a worthwhile swap? Or is there something else that I may be overlooking?
      Mike
      15 Camaro 2SS 1LE summer ride

00 Yukon work ride - parts hauler

69 Camaro LS Turbo - project car

thinking about how I can improve the GTO.
      How much of a rebuild are you thinking?
      Chassis upgrades - coilovers and boxing frame would be a good step (I forget current status of frame)
      Minitub? Nice to get more rubber contact out back if you are going to be adding more power as well.

Or you could just order up a Roadster Shop chassis and save yourself the trouble!
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

So a friend of mine brought this to my attention...

Apparently it has been getting some airtime on various car related shows...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

It's been a while since I have updated this thread or even taken the GTO out for a spin. I've been having a lot of fun with the Cougar, but lately I have been thinking about how I can improve the GTO.

Hooker is about to release a lot of very well engineered components for A-body swaps and it is tempting to redo my swap to make things better. Holley has new mounts, headers, and crossmembers that are engineered to work together and work around the Holley oil pan. Currently my inner tie rods hit the Autokraft pan so it would be nice to fix that.

I would also like to have new stainless headers and a full stainless exhaust, which Hooker will offer. I realize that it seems kind of dumb to redo a car that runs and drives, but I am always trying to make things better.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is swapping over to a 4L80E. Seems kind of nuts, but I have never owned a performance car with an automatic and I would really enjoy seeing what I can do in terms of tuning the transmission. To make the auto trans possible, I would also swap the ECU to a Holley Dominator.

I am open to all inputs....

Andrew
      I can totally understand you wanting to make improvements and push the car to new heights. I guess I'd wonder how you could go from manual to auto? I have still to get my car on the road, but when my drivetrain was stolen I saw this as an opportunity to get what I wanted in the first place being manual. I guess the ability to fine tune the 4L80E will make up for that. I'm sure you know this, just a reminder that the transmissions response will only be a result of the internals. I've always looked at what you've done with your GTO as an A Body inspiration. I see it as something the average guy can accomplish by building a great performing classic muscle car without breaking the bank.

I'll be watching.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Country Flag: Canada
      I don't know about the automatic but I'm all for you switching stuff up ...
      A because that means I will know how well stuff fits without buying it myself lol
      B because if something doesn't fit to "my" liking but does to yours I could buy your old stuff lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I can totally understand you wanting to make improvements and push the car to new heights. I guess I'd wonder how you could go from manual to auto? I have still to get my car on the road, but when my drivetrain was stolen I saw this as an opportunity to get what I wanted in the first place being manual. I guess the ability to fine tune the 4L80E will make up for that. I'm sure you know this, just a reminder that the transmissions response will only be a result of the internals. I've always looked at what you've done with your GTO as an A Body inspiration. I see it as something the average guy can accomplish by building a great performing classic muscle car without breaking the bank.

I'll be watching.
      Chris,

Thanks for the compliment! If I ever go forward with something different in the GTO, the 4L80e will have a turbo 5.3L in front of it :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Maybe a LT4 with a 4L80e?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Direct injection seems ideal for TURBO!

Dibs on your 6.2!
      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

Someone made a post recently on the Pontiac forum lamenting the lack of young people at car shows and it inspired me to write this...

http://www.timelessmuscle.com/editor...-and-greasers/

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Just read this whole thread today, thank you for all this great information! Any updates on the GTO?

Matt from NH
      70 Camaro
      Project Wicked Pissa https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-Wicked-Pissa

That was a great write up (timeless). And that's coming from a waxer! I work on my cars but don't drive them near as hard as most on this board. Still, I think we should do everything we can to help promote the hobby in a fashion. It's amazing what kids can build today.

Quote Originally Posted by mdes0 View Post
      Just read this whole thread today, thank you for all this great information! Any updates on the GTO?
      Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, the GTO is tucked away in my garage under a cover and probably won't see the light of day for another 2-3 years. Life circumstances and my current residence do not allow for two projects at the same time. I've been driving the Cougar on a daily basis and will probably take it to Holley LSFest this year, for the third time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      That was a great write up (timeless). And that's coming from a waxer! I work on my cars but don't drive them near as hard as most on this board. Still, I think we should do everything we can to help promote the hobby in a fashion. It's amazing what kids can build today.
      The "kids" are definitely building a lot of interesting stuff! The GTO will eventually get a driveline upgrade at some point.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Someone made a post recently on the Pontiac forum lamenting the lack of young people at car shows and it inspired me to write this...

http://www.timelessmuscle.com/editor...-and-greasers/

Andrew
      Bravo Andrew. Well said (written).

1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Bravo Andrew. Well said (written).
      Thanks!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Bumping this thread up, for no other reason than it has been over 10 years since I did this LS swap.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Bumping this thread up, for no other reason than it has been over 10 years since I did this LS swap.

Andrew
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Gotta bring that Goat back into the world now. Great write-up in Timeless Magazine too. I'm getting all caught up my friend. ;-)
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com