Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

New idea for flush mount windshield

Has anybody looked into Speedglass for use in flush mounting windshields (and back windows too)?

They sell it formed using factory windshields as molds and 1" oversize. It's the oversize that is the problem solver. I wouldn't have to fill the gap left by omitting the factory gasket. Their website indicates that urethane adhesives can be used to mount the window.

They come in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" thicknesses, are shatterproof, scratch proof, can be tinted, and are lighter than standard glass.

I can't think of a downside ...

Anybody ever explore this before?

jp
      Last edited by parsonsj; 01-29-2005 at 01:18 PM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Well I went to your link...........but either I'm an idiot and can't navigate their site or their site's not very friendly...........I can't find any info on front or back glass............

It would definitely be something that I would want to look into though.

Oops. Link fixed.

jp
      John Parsons

hmmm interesting... anyone know what stock glass will sell for anyway?

i have used this stuff many times in race cars . it's basicly lexan that has a scratch resistant coating . it's not scratch proof . it will still get scratches. but is much better than uncoated. also it will collapse at high speeds if not supported in the middle. i would stick to glass in a street car.

Appreciate the advice, but I prefer the technical information. The website says the 1/8" needs center support, but that the 3/16" and 1/4" thickness versions don't.

jp
      Last edited by parsonsj; 01-29-2005 at 06:24 PM.
      John Parsons

Wohhhhhhh Wilbur..................that stuff's expensive..........I could buy 5 windshields for the price of one of those...........Plus I would constantly be worried the wipers would eventually wear through the coating..........I know it says wiper friendly.......but still don't think I would trust it.

I was thinking it was an alternative to having the chrome trim on the windshield and back glass............

That's what I would like.............an alternative and making it look like a late model fluch mount.
      1968 Twin Turbo Camaro

I like this one alot better.

http://www.racingshields.com/

I have a sample here and you can scrub it with steel wool and it wont scratch. and Ita fog resistant also.

If I didn't have a convertable id deff have it for a back window. Ive considered one for the front since the car will be a weekend ride only.

I have a set of Speedglass front and back windows on order. 3/16 thick, 1" oversize in all dimensions. Apparently, I'm the last to know that this is the standard way of doing flush mount windows used by the big builders.

My Vintage glass (factory tint in front, smoked gray in back) are now for sale.

What a time saver!

jp
      John Parsons

At the risk of sounding like an idiot..........what takes the place of the chrome? I mean.........do they offer some sort of rubber that goes between the body and glass...........or is it really just for race applications?
      1968 Twin Turbo Camaro

what takes the place of the chrome?
      Take a look at any late model car, and you'll see that the glass has a black stripe painted on the inside. That stripe is to allow urethane adhesive to hold the window in place. Late models usually don't have molding to hold the window, they just have molding to hide the edge of the glass (though some don't even have that).

The problem with simply using this technique with factory glass on our 35 yr old cars is that the glass is too small. There isn't any way to glue the glass to the window frame without modification. Many guys have altered their window frames to make the opening smaller so they can do the flush mount technique (e.g., Dennis Linson, Brian Schein). I was gonna do the same thing until I discovered this Lexan-based Speedglass. It can be cut to fit exactly inside the window frame of our old cars, giving us about 3/4" of glueable surface so that standard late model urethane window adhesive can glue the glass into place.

jp
      John Parsons

Ok..........I understand that part...........I guess I was wondering if you had a source for something to hide the edge of the glass..........if you don't mind me asking..........what is it that you plan on doing for this or are you just leaving your's open?
      1968 Twin Turbo Camaro

Not sure yet about hiding the edge of the glass. I may just leave it: sand it, polish it, and leave it exposed. Remember that the edge of the glass will be recessed into the frame, so it won't really be visible (hence the term flush-mount: a smooth surface between glass and sheetmetal). I would try for an 1/16" gap between the sheetmetal and the glass. A more germane question is how to get the glass to exactly follow the contour of the roof and cowl lines. That may require late model window edge trim to hide some minor flaws.

jp
      Last edited by parsonsj; 01-31-2005 at 03:56 PM. Reason: "between" has three 'e's
      John Parsons

Prob no help here but on a 3rdgen Ive seen it sealed in like normal. This way it looked like a factory install.

If I can dig up the pic's I'll link em for ya.

The car was on cardomain. Blue with white stripes. The guy did the front and rear.

Good stuff on the blue 3rd gen.

thanks!

jp
      John Parsons

Thanks for the info JP !
      I was hoping to do a flush mount on my next car. this will make it so much easyer.
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

this will make it so much easier
      You bet it will. No body modifications are required. The plastic is quite flexible and can easily be formed to fit the slightly different width flush mount requires.

Now, the glass fitting is done after the car is painted, and the body/paint and interior guys don't have to deal with altered window frames.

jp
      John Parsons

Will you ever stop posting this stuff!?!?!

I was fine with my old style non flush mount windows. Then you have to show me that I won't spend 75 hours trying to mod my window frames, and can go this route.
      Damn you!! One more thing to add to the very long list...

Tyler

I tried to find the prices or a distributor on the site and couldn't find either. Anyone have the prices or know a company that sells the product? Do they sell direct?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com