Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

BirdsandBowties column

Well, I finally decided to have Jim (birdsandbowties here on the forum) build me a tilt wheel. I have been watching his threads and everyone seems very happy with his work. I have talked with him several times and I asked if he'd ever built a '68 Camaro column with the dimmer switch on the column instead of the floor. I am pleased to say he told me he has wanted to and away we go. Naturally I'm looking forward to it. You guys need to look at some of the pics of the columns he's done in the past. I really wanted the look of the original instead of the Flaming River or Ididit ones , and his are considerably less expensive. besides I hear sometimes they're a little tricky to set up. Just what I've heard. anyway I can't wait! Well, I guess I'll have to but....

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

starting on this today, first things first , need to shave a key and set up all parts for the column, this will be a cool column, I will have all measurements to build another if anyone wants one, I will try to get pics posted tonight

Well Jim, You know I'm anxious...

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

okay, I know you have been waiting for these, I got it mocked up today , its a little shorter than the 69 columns and the mounts for the bracket to bolt to the dash are way different, so I had to switch those out , took the old ones off and welded the holes shut and put new ones from another 68 non tilt on it so the original bracket works and taadaaa we have this !

tomorrow or next day I will shave the shift bowl down to work with the stock style plastic covers for the column, gonna look cool !

sitting next to another 68 tilt it looks just right
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks good, and just whetted my appetite!!! That's getting the columns down to the bare essentials. I know I'm ready...

Carl Wilson

I blast and clean every single part to a column, even the parts you don't see have a coat of clear or black on them, nothing will rust inside my columns its completely protected

Of all things....Patience was never my virtue....lol

Carl Wilson

got it together and sittin pretty, I still need to put together a shaft but you can see it looks killer !

Looking good!! Can't wait until it's installed....................................this does come with installation doesn't it? hahaha............

Carl Wilson

I really do need a vacation

I've heard Jonesboro, AR is nice this time of year. hint hint.......

Carl Wilson

Jim,
      Will my column (on the upper part) look like the one on the right, or the one on the left. The one on the right has a cleaner look as opposed to the "box" on the steering column where the blinker goes.

Did you survive the storm?

Carl Wilson

its the last pic in the thread, it will have the box off to the side , has to have room for the actuator for the high beams,,,,lots of flooding, were good though

got a shaft installed and put a bright light switch in with a rod, got it to where it clears the 67-68 mount, and with a little sanding on the plastic covers they will clear the rod and the rod will not show,,,lookin pretty cool !

Well guys, Mr F.E. Dex brought me my column this afternoon. I will take pictures after it's installed. Looks good so far though..

Carl Wilson

I'm interested in one of these but a couple of questions come to mind. 1. Does it use the factory half-round plug? 2. Does the floor dimmer switch wiring plug just run up to the column and plug in. Any pics of the finished product?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

It uses the straight plug like on the '69. you can rewire your existing curved plug or do as I did and order a adapter from American autowire that goes from the curved to the flat plug. They have them on Fleabay for somewhere around $47, but American Autowire has them for $19. Guess which one I got! The floor dimmer wiring plug now plugs into the steering column. I will try to get some pics posted this evening.

Carl Wilson

Ok took me a little longer than I expected to get the pics here. These shots are of the tilt GM steering column Jim Dion (BirdsandBowties) did for me. He has moved the dimmer switch from the floor to the column. This is a '68 Camaro.

Here's first picture, Just a installed front view:

Side view: I know I've got a mess.

This view shows where the dimmer wires now attach to the column:

This one is where the wires coming from the column and goes to the wiring harness. This is the block that attaches to the column:

Steve,
      If need any more pictures let me know. If you have any questions about my setup I will try to help.
      Carl

Carl Wilson

Jim built some good stuff. I have a regular column from him. Wished I had known about the option of moving the dimmer switch to the column back then.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      Jim built some good stuff. I have a regular column from him. Wished I had known about the option of moving the dimmer switch to the column back then.
      I don't know when you bought yours, but I think this is his first one! I'm happy.

Carl Wilson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com