Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Custom lenses?

Country Flag: United States

Custom lenses?

Cross point to make sure the fabrication guys see this post... (scroll to bottom of page for latest update)

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...82#post1175382

Best,
      Kris

custom taillight lenses

Name:  DSC00957 (1).JPG
Views: 378
Size:  158.9 KBName:  DSC00956 (1).JPG
Views: 366
Size:  155.4 KB
      This is what I did with my all steel 32 ford coupe, we made a custom metal box and inserted into the body. Made a wood plug made out of oak and shaped it to the contour of the body leaving a 1/8 gap top and bottom in order for the lens to be pulled over the wood buck. I then took it to a sign shop in Phoenix picked out a color of lens that I liked. They then heated the lens to form over the buck. I had to buy a full 4 X 8 sheet of plastic which made a total of three taillights. Broke the first one trimming the corners. Second ones in the coupe and still have a back up. I would say visit your local Commercial Sign shop.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

What blown 32 just posted is pretty much what I first described about forming your own lens, plus the sign shop tip. Won't give you an inner texture, but that's pretty much the average way to bend sheet plastic.

Plastic heated to the correct temp range will be soft enough to bend & conform, but not flow out all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by verticalflight View Post
      Cross point to make sure the fabrication guys see this post... (scroll to bottom of page for latest update)

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...82#post1175382

Best,
      Kris
      For the inner pattern why not make a paint mask and spray Kandy or tinted clear to make it look patterned? The light will vary between painted and unpainted areas.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com