Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      there is never that much weight in the middle of the fixture to be honest, we had a 64 impala on there and the most deflection we had was less than 2mm, it is harder to level the fixture with 6 legs but once the 4 are set it would be easy to tack extra legs in place, as for the roof i am not sure what car you are referring to but if its the 80 camaro then its because we know the roof is solid condition and it doesn't hurt it although we usually use 2 2" x 4" lengths of wood on edge and put the chain lifts at each end so it lifts the car rather than trying to pinch the roof in, as for the nova, i may be selling it to start another project so didnt bother putting pics up and i lost most of my inbuild pics when my old computer crashed!

Country Flag: United States
      It was the 80 Camaro I saw. I'll have to consider that method to lift my car after a close inspection of the roof. I hadn't seen a car being lifted like that so I was intrigued. Thanks again for all the info, you've been a big help. And your Nova is beautiful! If you start another project be sure to post it up.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Why don't you buy a collision repair JIG/ frame from a shop thats buying new like this one :
      http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsa...nkode=22439573

This cost about $ 3000
      Olav

when building from a shell you have to be able to get right under the car and there is way too much in the way with this set up, it would have its uses but is not really build friendly for us,

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      that and the fab table you can build out of $3k worth of material would be out of this world. Im talkin flat screen and porta pottie. LOL
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

too right!!!lol

Awesome thread. Ton of great info. I do have some questions though.

I want to build a universal table for a few builds coming up. I have an 85 Chevy S-10 and 1991 K5 Blazer that I want to build full tube chassis' for. My dad has a 64 Chevy C-10 that we wants to do the same. And my wife would like an old Nova built one day, so that we be the next project. Honestly, I would love to keep building chassis', so flexibility is key. I don't want to have to build multiple tables.

Anyway, I like the design of Mike's tables; I-beams, no plate, 3 feet wide and the use of outriggers. I also think setting the body or existing frame to ride height, mounting or welding to the jig and then building around that makes sense.

My question is, what about building a chassis with air suspension that you want to lay flat on the ground when suspension is lowered?

It would seem that you can still build at frame at ride height off the table or you could set the frame directly on the table and build that way. But I basically have to choose one way and go with it throughout the whole build?

I know for the S-10, I want 4" of ride height. My thought process is this. Let me know how you would improve on it or if you would tackle this a completely different way?

I could easily lay 2" x 4" box tubing crossmembers across the top surface of the I-beam jig, set the current frame/cab/bed on those crossmembers, and establish my ride height. I could then weld supports to the rockers, bed, etc to secure the truck to the jig. I then can remove the cross members and the old frame and leave the shell of the truck and build off of that at ride height. However, to ensure the truck "lays" frame, I would have to use outriggers that elevate my wheels and tires 4" above the jig to ensure I have the travel and clearance to lay frame?

Thanks for any advice and input?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampHouse Kustoms View Post
      I could easily lay 2" x 4" box tubing crossmembers across the top surface of the I-beam jig, set the current frame/cab/bed on those crossmembers, and establish my ride height. I could then weld supports to the rockers, bed, etc to secure the truck to the jig. I then can remove the cross members and the old frame and leave the shell of the truck and build off of that at ride height. However, to ensure the truck "lays" frame, I would have to use outriggers that elevate my wheels and tires 4" above the jig to ensure I have the travel and clearance to lay frame?
      Welcome! Glad to see you made it.

I'm using air suspension on my build as well, though I'm not planning to lay frame. On my build I'm adapting Viper suspension to the chassis and need to narrow the track. In order to figure out how much I'm going to narrow, I am doing exactly what you described in order to simulate full compression of my shocks and then check for fender clearance at full lock. My shocks compress 2.1 inches so I'll be laying a 2x4 tube across the jig to simulate both wheels in full compression at the same time. When I build my rear wheel tubs I'll do the same thing. Though by then the car will hopefully be on the ground and I'll just drop the car down.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

I was thinking about this the other day and what I would maybe do next time I needed to build a car on a frame.

I like the idea of just buying a lift and doing what few if any mods to it and when I was done I would have had a lift for the car. Just use the platform to build it on and then add the lift legs later.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Here's a jig for a tube chassis. Pretty neat. They build laser cut bulkheads that bolt together to hold the tubes.

This video shows the chassis coming together.

This video shows some of the planning, cad work, and laser work.

Quote Originally Posted by racing_dave View Post
      Here's a jig for a tube chassis. Pretty neat. They build laser cut bulkheads that bolt together to hold the tubes.

This video shows the chassis coming together.

This video shows some of the planning, cad work, and laser work.
      Very cool! I like all the laser cut jig forms.

Robert

here is a little taste of the setup we use.

Jason

bump.........just because this is such a great thread

damn i wish all our cars were the same so we could build some fixtures like that and whip stuff out. very nice.
      Scotts Speed and Custom

norcal1320.com

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Damn Dave, that is some inspiring stuff. Wish we could get to that level. Thanks welcome to the site too.

wonder how many crew members it takes to build a truck in 4 months.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

AS far as the question of how to get a car onto the jig,I did mine kind of the opposite (blue I-beam jig with ChevyII on it a few pages back.) Once the car was gutted and had some supports welded inside I lifted one end with my cherry picker and blocked it up,then the other end and blocked it up.I made some wheeled dollies out of framing lumber and Harbor Frieght casters and rolled the I beams under the car,bolted the stringers in between the I beams,then lowered the car onto the beams using the cherry picker again. In fact I was able to wheel the jig into position in my shop like that with the car on it-it hardly weighed anything at that point.Then I lifted one end of the jig at a time (with the car strapped down-you can see that in the photos) and put the legs on and leveled the whole thing.
      I made some body clamps that clamp onto the pinch welds at the bottom of the rockers to hold the car up off the jig.They also were capable of jacking the car so I could set ride height with the wheels mocked into place.Once I had everything where I wanted it and centered on the jig I welded the car to the jig and got the leveling clamps out of my way. I'll try and get some pictures of the clamps up here before too long.
      I'm working alone in my home shop,don't have a forklift or any type of overhead crane-get creative!

Wow this thread hasn't seen any action for way over a year. Are any of you guys still around?

Quote Originally Posted by LS1MonteSS View Post
      Wow this thread hasn't seen any action for way over a year. Are any of you guys still around?
      Was thinkin the same thing.. I am getting ready to build a rack and this thread has been really helpful! I love the internet!
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

I'll be building a table when i get home in a couple months. Most likely out of I beam and drilling holes down both beams to bolt attachments to. Hopefully I can find some used I beam in a size that'll work
      Traven

Just found this thread. Will be watching

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com