Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by scotzilla
      noone said its madatory! Its convinient and a usefull tool for someone who is going to build alot of cars over thier lifetime. THanks for argueing a moot point and saving the poor souls on protouring.com. We get it! you dont think jigs are neccessary to build a straight and square piece. I AGREE WITH YOU. I want to build one, use one and profit from one. Most fabrication and restoration shops have one. You can allign your car with a measuring tape and some chalk- I guess there is no need for these fancy laser alignment racks that get the job done in a more effiecent and exact manner.

This thread is about different designs and to discuss which ones work best in certain applications
      Obviously you're assuming since you created the thread you're the only one getting information from it. The information I posted is both relevant and related, even if it isn't the method you choose to use. Other people may read it and find it helpful.

I don't have the time or the patience to argue with someone this much on a message board. I'll leave you alone to discuss whatever you want in this thread.

Mathius

please show me where i assumed im the only one getting info from it- You are arguing about the need for one- Not design and functionality. I appreciate everyone input-
      Scotts Speed and Custom

norcal1320.com

Country Flag: United States
      I think screw jack legs would be best for leveling.....a larger diameter square tube with holes and pins would also do but adjustability would be limited as far as leveling.

BTW Mathius, the only arguing i see is your needing to inform others that they posses the skill of a seasoned sheetmetal worker and that they don't need a jig to perform this seamingly simple task. I actually agreed wih you in the beginning but you are still trying to pass your point...which we agreed to.

Listen, I know how it is, your buddies at work sitting around the water bottle at break bragging about how jigs are for un skilled ya hoos and how things where back in the day. I get it. It just sounds funny to others when you try to pass on the ideology to others who don't get it. Trust me....I understand.

Lets try to help Scotzilla on his needs please. I think he has been more than patient with this.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      Listen, I know how it is, your buddies at work sitting around the water bottle at break bragging about how jigs are for un skilled ya hoos and how things where back in the day. I get it. It just sounds funny to others when you try to pass on the ideology to others who don't get it. Trust me....I understand.
      Now you're just making assumptions about me. This whole thread is turning ridiculous, all because I wanted to point out that you don't need a jig to build a frame.

I'm still an apprentice. I don't put down the skills of anyone.

Lets try to help Scotzilla on his needs please. I think he has been more than patient with this.
      See, this is where we differ in opinion, because while I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic in his first response, I'm positive he was in his second, when he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotzilla
      THanks for argueing a moot point and saving the poor souls on protouring.com.
      The way I see it, I'm trying to come in and help some people that don't have the time, space, or money to build a jig, and he's being a total a$$ because I'm not giving information he wanted. And for what reason? Because he started the thread?

I don't want to continue arguing, but you guys really need to lighten up before you start making assumptions about people and jumping on them because the information isn't exactly what you wanted.

Mathius

mathius- since you cant take a hint let me lay it down for you- Its called a thread jack- Person A starts a thread about how to do something and person B changes the subject from how to do something to, you dont need to do that at all. THANKS for your opinion but I still want to build a jig.

And the only person assuming things is you-

[QUOTE] The way I see it, I'm trying to come in and help some people that don't have the time, space, or money to build a jig, and he's being a total a$$ because I'm not giving information he wanted. And for what reason? Because he started the thread?

I do have the time , money and space to build a jig (see the sig) and im not being an ass cause i started the thread- You are being an ass cause youve jacked the thread- Usually when you argue a point you state your opinion and then qualify it with fact or evidence. If you think im the only one that doesnt care about why a cassis fabrication shop doesnt need a useful tool like a jig then start a new thread and see how many people agree, or even take the time to argue with you. THe only reason I am is an attempt to keep this thread on track.

Like stated previously- I took you point with a grain of salt- I like your ideas about shims and using angle and clamps for temporary fixtures- thanks- lets agree to disagree
      Scotts Speed and Custom

norcal1320.com

i got my chassis jig from a circle track chassis shop that had stopped making a particular chassis and the other chassis's they make were jig'd on there other jig, i got a 18 ft jig for 500 bucks a complete steal.

Guys, this is a great discussion, even though the personal stuff is a bit on the edge. Two points from the mods:

1. The OP doesn't own the thread, but it is considered discourteous to change the subject.

2. It is a rare thread where a "spirited" discussion changes the minds of the participants. However, the technical data and interchange is often useful to other members of the board, even when the participants get a bit frustrated that others disagree with them.

Please watch the personal stuff, and carry on.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

There is no hard feelings towards Mathius, he has his opinion and I agree with it and see his point. I have no idea why he is pushing it we can discuss that eles where.

But yes lets move on.

Jake, how mobile is that set up? Would weight be a hinderance? Would a flat section of floor be a necessity? And lastly...I don't see your Camaro on it...I hope that is atleast the frame for it. How is business?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Just a thought, could house type screw jacks be adapted for the adjustable legs? They are cheap,very simple and some have a rating of up 12000 lbs.

Art

There is no hard feelings towards Mathius, he has his opinion and I agree with it and see his point. I have no idea why he is pushing it we can discuss that eles where.

But yes lets move on.

Jake, how mobile is that set up? Would weight be a hinderance? Would a flat section of floor be a necessity? And lastly...I don't see your Camaro on it...I hope that is atleast the frame for it. How is business?
      vince, i need to get some wheels on it one of these days, however 2 floor jacks moves it pretty easy. its 18 ft 12 inch i beam, production made jig. you can shim the individual legs to level it however my shop is 3 yrs old and i had a good concrete guy pour the floor.
      business is ok, alittle slow right now, doesn't help we have goten over 100 inches of snow already this winter and its -5 right now, lol

finally picked up some new material to build one- I decided on some 6 inch i beams. We are gonna steal a buddies design to make it mobile by welding casters to the bottom of the i beam and then using acme thread that can pick up and level the table where ever it is. THat way you can use a lift to mount and dismount a car and then roll it over into a different area.
      Scotts Speed and Custom

norcal1320.com

Cool Scot, make sure you post pictures of your monstrocity. Castors, perfect.

Art, that would be good. Might be abit over kill but sure. You can use 2 ton bottle jacks too. Might be cheaper.

Jake, tell me about it. Its like the next ice age...it was like 49 degree tody. burrrrrrrr LOL hope it picks up for you. everyone is slow.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

where in norcal are you? Im in discovery bay and the shops in livermore
      Scotts Speed and Custom

norcal1320.com

Quote Originally Posted by bart007
      Just a thought, could house type screw jacks be adapted for the adjustable legs? They are cheap,very simple and some have a rating of up 12000 lbs.

Art
      Making a setup mobile is easy, there are tons of options. Braking is more important. You don't want that thing to start rolling when you have a 2000lb or more chassis attached to an already heavy steel jig, + the weight of the frame. I realize a chassis jig is for the frame, but at some point you will want to seat the body for test fitting.

Your screw type setup sounds ideal for a break. Screw the legs down to seat it in place. We have a setup on our 'lock' machines where you can actually push a foot pedal and it releases the brake. Maybe someone makes something like that on a castor?

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
      Making a setup mobile is easy, there are tons of options. Braking is more important. You don't want that thing to start rolling when you have a 2000lb or more chassis attached to an already heavy steel jig, + the weight of the frame. I realize a chassis jig is for the frame, but at some point you will want to seat the body for test fitting.

Your screw type setup sounds ideal for a break. Screw the legs down to seat it in place. We have a setup on our 'lock' machines where you can actually push a foot pedal and it releases the brake. Maybe someone makes something like that on a castor?

Mathius
      Great point. I've used 1" acme thread screws but don't recommend to be longer than 3" for the very reason Mathius stated. The more legs the better.

As for castors I recommend them to be used temporarily for moving or positioning. IE: backing off the jack screws to lower on to the casters or a adjustable castor mounting arm. Very dangerous to keep it on them. Also may damage the wheel or bearings. Casters are available with braking levers.

Scotzilla, im in San Carlos. Just south of San francisco.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

This thread got dumber by the minute for a while. Looks like JP got it back on track. For retactable casters check out my post and pic, 3/4 the way down in this thread:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...=welding+table

While I built them so I could move the table, the same design can be used fo leveling pads (basically the opposite, static casters). I've since added a single large ball bearing between the top of the caster and the bottom of the bolt. Focussing the load on the very center of the bolt has made it VERY easy to screw down.
      EDIT: To Mr. Quick's point about the strength of casters; the scafolding casters I used are huge and well with in their load range. They were probably expensive. The same can't be said for the casters I used for my TIG cart. I wanted to keep the cart low profile and was being cheap. The result after a year is four squar wheels ready to start puking bearings any minute now. Leason learned.
      1967 #s RS

A friend of mine just built one out of H-beam. It's all bolted together much like the ones in the pics. If you go with the acme screws for the leg adjustment enco and msc sells different lengths and sizes for a decent price. Post some pics when you get it done.

Great point. I've used 1" acme thread screws but don't recommend to be longer than 3" for the very reason Mathius stated. The more legs the better.

As for castors I recommend them to be used temporarily for moving or positioning. IE: backing off the jack screws to lower on to the casters or a adjustable castor mounting arm. Very dangerous to keep it on them. Also may damage the wheel or bearings. Casters are available with braking levers.

Scotzilla, im in San Carlos. Just south of San francisco.
      That's how the castors on our lock machines work. You hit the pedal, castors come down, feet go up. Hit the pedal, feet come down, castors go up. These things are WAY too heavy for me to try and get under them and see what they look like, not to mention my shop foreman would be asking me wtf I was doing.

Mathius

Jig Pic

heres a quick shot of mine.

figured I would ask here instead of starting a new thread, I going to be building a one time table for my project, and planned to use 4x4x1/8" or should I use something thicker? Plan was about 6 legs, 4'x16' 5 crossmembers and adjustable rubber feet to level it off. Would 1/8" be substantial enough? I won't be building my whole truck on this, just jigging the frame while I fabricate it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com