Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 101 of 121 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 ... LastLast
    Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2412
      Country Flag: United States
      My jig really has no plates for the floater snouts, so I had to make a rig to check it one side at a time. It was kind of a pain, so when the drivers side checked out ok, I just assumed the passenger side would be ok too. You know what they say about when you assume. Moser welded a back brace on that housing which for some reason only pulled on the passenger side. When I went to do a 4 wheel alignment on the car, it was toed out on the passenger side for some reason. Found it right before I left for Motorstate, didn't have time to pull the housing and send it back before the event.

Jay, have you run that car yet? Don't think your beloved GMR floater is without issues. I got to help Chris wrench on Blue Balls GMR floater at Gingerman. It appeared that the hub was machined a little loose for the hub seal. While at speed, the seal fell out oiling down the track, causing the car to get black flagged. Ended up having to use a punch to stake the hub in 4 places to keep the seal in place. Then we noticed that the housing wasn't equipped with any inner axle grease seals?? I think you need to hold your endorsements of a product until you have tested them.
      Ron Schwarz

Ron, I believe jay was commenting in goood fun.

Your statements are incorrect though, All hubs are machined to the exact specifications of what the engineers at Timken require for that specific seal, So the hubs are NOT incorrectly machined (in fact it is within a fraction of a thousands of an inch to the suggested setting) saying they are would be incorrect. Yes, he did have a seal issue but immidently pointing out that the hub was inproperly machined is incorrect and a false assumption. There are multiple factors that can cause this to happen, none of which have ANY relavence to the tolerance of the hub body itself. If the hubs were to be incorrec then ALL the hubs would be having issues... Including the other hub on the rear end under BB which did NOT have any problem the entire time. In fact BB was on the track sunday running all day. Two other cars were out there with GMR floaters running all weekend... no issue.

The Seals can and are rarely slightly under tolerance from Timken, it is very possible. This combined with other elements such as not enough lubrication between the seal and snout, increased heat do to higher rotor tempetatures creating over 225deg at the hub, and not using our recommended press in silicone / cement to help hold seals up to 700 deg. There are multiple other factors that can cause this... and it is VERY rare at that. The hubs are double, triple, and quadriple checked for tolerance and the seal is correct. BB is about the tenth car with the GMR floater on it, so its well past the "test" phase so to speak.

As for the Inner Axle seals, well that is not up to us. I have mentioned to cris multiple time that is certenly an option, currently he is trying someting similar but a little different. Seals can be installed at any time, not sure why you mentioned that as if we are reaponsible, we do not even make inner seals... yet. I have and do suggest a very specific method on how they are installed because they are often NOT installed correctly causing more harm then good, especially in a PT application.

I just wanted to clear up a few things, your statements were not only mis-informed but I feel as though you were directly trying to take a stab at GMR. Not sure why, last time we talked I was under the impression everything was good between us, guess that is not the case. Car is looking good and dispite your incorrect statements I do not have anything against you, I wish the best for you even though your not running our product. Im sure your car will be back running top notch in no time, great build and even better driver!

Jason

Hey Jason, I'm not trying to rip your product, hell I love the stuff. I was just explaining to Jay that any part, no matter how well its made can have issues. Through the years I've seen some of the best parts in the buisness fail under duress, sometimes due to installation issues, sometimes taking parts beyond there limits, and sometimes a poorly made part as the case of my housing. Working the bugs out of these things is a full time job, and can be quite taxing.

If you notice in this build thread I'm not in the habit of calling out any parts manufacturers, and let me tell you ther have been some real problems. After having your GMR parts in my hand in Michigan, I can see the attention to detail that goes into making them, I guess its just been another long aggrevating day and that post just rubbed me abit.
      Ron Schwarz

Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      My jig really has no plates for the floater snouts, so I had to make a rig to check it one side at a time. It was kind of a pain, so when the drivers side checked out ok, I just assumed the passenger side would be ok too. You know what they say about when you assume. Moser welded a back brace on that housing which for some reason only pulled on the passenger side. When I went to do a 4 wheel alignment on the car, it was toed out on the passenger side for some reason. Found it right before I left for Motorstate, didn't have time to pull the housing and send it back before the event.

Jay, have you run that car yet? Don't think your beloved GMR floater is without issues. I got to help Chris wrench on Blue Balls GMR floater at Gingerman. It appeared that the hub was machined a little loose for the hub seal. While at speed, the seal fell out oiling down the track, causing the car to get black flagged. Ended up having to use a punch to stake the hub in 4 places to keep the seal in place. Then we noticed that the housing wasn't equipped with any inner axle grease seals?? I think you need to hold your endorsements of a product until you have tested them.
      Ron, my questions were sincere believe it or not and I was actually curious on what happened since you had originally mentioned you had checked for straightness.

My last comment about the snouts on the shelf was with a little humor (thus the poke and smile), as to possibly make you shake your head WITH a smile on your face. I guess my timing was bad and perhaps not recieved well since my tone is not heard through the keyboard.

I normally would have cleared all this inaccurately given info up myself but appears Jason has beat me to it for the most part. I will assume your calipers are not calibrated correctly to have made the claims you did. What measurement did you get on the seal bore/seal o.d. OR was this another "assumption"?

Now on to your comment to make ME shake my head WITH a smile on my face (it was in fun was'nt it?).... NO I have not run my latest car yet It is still on stands waiting patiently for its day. I am about a year and a half into it, and just over budget at around $5000.....can I have a little more time

Either way I really do respect your extreme tallent as a builder and ability to get it done!
      Jay

"Owner....fastest car on jackstands!"

Ron.... you're a stand up guy, man. Kudos to you for how you handle yourself. Looking fwd to meeting you and seeing you at optima.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Wow Jay, you need to learn when to let sleeping dogs lie, your not doing Jason any favors. There was no inaccuracy, the seal fell out at speed,oiled the car, and the track down, only floater failure I'm aware of at Motorstate. Didn't need a caliper to see the seal not holding in the bore tight enough. The fact that it had to be staked to keep it in is not an assumption, its a fact.

Hey sh#t happens, thats racing, it would have never been brought up if it weren't for your cute little posts.
      Ron Schwarz

Jay,

Enough...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Jay,

Please move on. Jason addressed this issue completely, from the point of GMR.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 08-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I never meant to make this about GMR, I truely beleive it is the best designed floater product on the market. I would be running it on my car if it wasn't for the fact that when I was wanting it, Jason was in the middle of a move,(was having problem catching up with Jason at that time). Hell, I'm really wishing I would have waited, and gone that route right now. Wasn't my intention to run down any product, this is a small community and feel we need to watch out for one another.

On the other side of that, I do grow tired of the "what your running is junk because its not the same as what I'm running" additudes that have been showing up in so many posts here lately. Look, ask Brett, or Kyle or anyone else who manufactures quality parts, parts fail, sometimes we don't even know why. Lets put this to bed, if I caused you any anxioty Jason, I appoligize.
      Ron Schwarz

Before this thing goes to optima, was thinking of changing it up a bit. Not really sure if I will like it or not, but was thinking of loosing the flat black on the hood and tops of the fenders, and going body color with white GT350 style stripes over the top of the car. Does anyone know how to photoshop that in, it sure would save me alot of work if I could look at it first, before laying down any paint. A pic like one of these or any front shot, I truely am clueless when it comes to that stuff. Thanks, Ron

Ron Schwarz

NO ! Don't do it Ron, it looks tough and boss right now. Don't change it to something kind of ghey like that.

Have to agree. Don't change a thing!

Would look good with just the shelby side stripes. would be a pain in the ass to repaint the top stripes if you had to touch up again.

You know how it is, you get tired of looking at something, and just want to change it up, I need to paint the top of the hood anyway. No matter what, I'd do it in vinyl so I could peel it back off. Saw these, and just thought they were cool, wish he would have done a front view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vtmg/
      Ron Schwarz

I like some of those, what's with the insane side pipes?

After getting invited to OUSTI this weekend, one of the many comments I made to my son was I would finally get to see this mustang and meeting you.

I like it the way it is. Everybody gets bored with the same thing after awhile, thats why they build another car (like your AMX), but I think the mustang is a winner the way it sits. Put a better tire on it and go kick a$$ at optima.
      Justin Snow

I feel the need to voice my disapproval as well LOL Don't change a thing man! That car is bad A already (that, and you'll save me the hassle of painting it back when you sell it to me).

Dan
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

Name:  stripes3.jpg
Views: 3917
Size:  223.6 KB

Yeah, I know it's just a quick sketch, but it does give some idea....

Thanks Dan, thats what I was looking for. Definitely a different look, I don't hate it, but it sure doesn't look as sinister that way, does it?
      Ron Schwarz

Page 101 of 121 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com