Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Big guys unite!

Quote Originally Posted by trapin
      Tony you're right....that High Fructose Corn Syrup is literally in EVERYTHING. It's ridiculous.
      I know - Nothing is off limits with what that stuff is in. We go out of our way to actually read the labels now. And if it's the first few ingredients, we won't get it.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyL
      the headaches are killer. Im going through a whole gambut of tests and stuff. I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was 220/130 The doctor about had a stroke! Needless to say I'm on blood pressure meds. lol. Time to start taking my health seriously, Before something seriously takes my health.
      Tony those BP numbers are frightening. You need to be doing what I'm doing. I've been taking meds for my BP for a few years now but my doc says if I'd just lose the damn weight I could come off of them. That is my ultimate goal.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

The police acdemey is a great way to loose weight lol

So far ive lost 12lbs. in 3 weeks, my fat % is at 8.2 and i weight 172 so theres alot of muscle lol oh and im only 5' 7''

But seriously the quickest way to loose weight without shocking your metabolism is to cut the sugar intake (no soda, fruit juice, sweet tea) For Vitamin-C i take E-mergenC, there little packs of vitamin c supplements each with 1000mg per serving which is about %200 daily value.

Eat lots of salad, i dont care if you hate it haha, its filling and has close to zero calories and fat. Grilled chicken breast is what i mostly, no fat, high in protien. You might want to think about taking some Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to help you immune system properly burn the calories from the food you eat.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by harshman
      I'd be ideal weight if I was 2' taller.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Hey guys this is Matt's wife, Jill. He came across this thread & had me read it. After reading it I wanted to add my thoughts to help you guys out. Cutting out soda definitely does help but like it was said, you've got to wean off of it to avoid the headaches. About 8 months ago Matt came across an article regarding "banned" foods in Europe. They all contained hydrogenated & partially hydrogenated oils. Just google it & what you find will scare you into eating right. I had just gone to the grocery store & we ended up throwing out 3/4 of what we had in the trash. I was a little reluctant because of the $ that was wasted but was disgusted enough by what we had read. Some of the other not so good foods are high fructose corn syrup (as mentioned by Tony), enriched flour & bleached flour. Since we threw all that food away, I went to the store the next day & was there for about 2 hours reading labels trying to find healthy foods. It was really hard in the beginning but now it's no problem. We now eat primarily organic or all natural foods even our meats. Because of this we can eat pretty much the same things as before (chips, cookies, etc.) just different brands. Some of the tastes took a little getting used to but we enjoy them more now than the food we used to eat. I know that when people start talking about organic foods, huge prices usually run through your mind. That's the first thing that I thought of. Thankfully, a lot of local grocery stores are starting to carry good affordable organic/all natural foods. Our grocery bill has maybe gone up $20 a week but that includes organic fruits & veggies delivered to the house (the fruits & veggies truly do taste better than anything from the store). By simply making this change & nothing else Matt lost 25 pounds & I lost 10-15 pounds. If we add exercise we both know that will help even more.
      I know this was kind of long, sorry about that, but I just wanted to give everyone a little more info & to wish you all good luck!
      Jill

^ Great info. Basically i dont eat anything that came out of a can, and most stuff that comes out of boxes (except Special K)

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

I have to make some changes as well for health reasons. I am 5'11 and 260. I used to drink 5-6 liters of Dr. Pepper a day. I was able to ween my self off of it by switching to unsweetened tea and using artificial sweetener. I quit chewing 5 years ago and now just have the occasional social drink. My eating habits are horrible, I work out of town so I eat out everyday. I don't take my lunch because if I did I would never get out of the office. My goal is to lose 20# by the end of the year
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellow69
      They all contained hydrogenated & partially hydrogenated oils. Just google it & what you find will scare you into eating right.
      Good info Jill! That's another synthetic concoction that was basically invented so oil/fat would not turn into liquid form at room temp. (I think that's right) Anyway, that's definitely more junk you shouldn't be putting in your body.

On another note, I was watching the boob tube one day, and this lady who was a dietician had a McDonalds hambuger, no biggie - so what? Well it was 6 years old!! And it looked like it came right from the drive thru! There wasn't even mold on the bread or cheese! I haven't eaten there since.

Losing weight is real simple. It is as simple as calories and fat. You simply need to burn more calories then you take in, and the less fat calories you intake the better. After seeing my interview at Year one, I was fricken DONE! I was 256, my highest ever, and was pretty disgusted when I saw my profile.

I simply stopped eating Checkers burgers everyday, Sausage Mc muffins every morning, Ribeyes at night. I am on NO DIET what so ever, but I eat a lot of Mahi, Mahi, Chicken breast, Filet Migon, rotissiere chicken (be careful where this comes from, Costcos is the perfect food, not butter added, Bostom market is worse then a Checkers burger, REALLY!), Apples, Broccoli, instead of fries (have not had a fry in 6 months). Very little fried food. I am by no means fanatical though, and will eat a mc muffin from time to time, going to breakfast soon as I finish this post, chicken fried steak and eggs I think. Difference is for now is I will have for lunch, grilled chicken, for dinner, crab legs (no butter) and steamed vegetables. Because of the 1200 calorie breakfast I will not lose any weight today, but I will not gain weight either. I have a stationary bike I ride sometimes, but not often enough. but I do think that helps as it says I burn 300 calories when I ride 30 minutes. Sex burns a lot of calories, so I try to substitute that for bike riding every chance I get!

So the result, By SEMA I was 224. 32 LBS and a lot of people noticed. Nice slow weight loss. From morning dryer tight 42s to brand new dryer tight 38s at SEMA. By noon, 38s are good. Now after the holidays, LOTS of drinking and eating, I was 233 new years day, 4 days or eating right and 229 this morning.

My goal, I will never be 190 again, simply NOT willing to dedicate what it takes at 46 Y/O to get to a 23 Y/O weight, but 210 and 36" would be great. By Year One this year I hope to be 215 is the goal.

Now that I posted it in public, I guess I have to!

For the record, over the years I have been a professional dieter. Most successful diet by far was Adkins 5 years ago. I was 210 again in a fricken hurry, but felt like absolute Sheot! And there was no converting that diet into healthy eating without gaining a bunch of weight. Now, when I eat right, I simply feel better.

When gain weight because we eat to much bad stuff! Period.

Good luck Tony.
      Good luck Tony.

Jill...thank you very much for that information. If you have more, please don't hesitate to jump back in here. You know what I find interesting is...we have a crock of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" in our refridgerator and I noticed that it says "No Trans Fats". But then I look at the ingredients and it says it contains Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. What a minute....isn't that a Trans Fat? I don't get it.

I try to by Organic when I can but you're right in that it does get expensive. But organic food does taste so much better. In the Summer you can get strawberries from the farmers as you drive more north where they have the roadside stands. The berries tend to be half the size of the ones you get at the Supermarts but they have 3 times the flavor. The ones in the Supermarts are genetically engineered to grow bigger but as a result they taste almost like nothing.

TonySS...if you think that hamburger story was amazing you should see the documentary "Supersize Me". They did the same thing with a carton of McDonalds french fries and they lasted for over 3 months in a container and never changed their appearance.

- Start date; June '01

Frank...thanks for the input. I didn't know that about Boston Chicken, I'll be staying away from there. Funny, I was at Costco's yesterday and almost picked up a Rotisserie chicken. LOL!!!

I'm going to start getting my 30 minutes in on my lunch hour. The Tecnical Center has about 2 miles of underground tunnels that I can walk through as the weather is colder than hell right now.

- Start date; June '01

I'm going to start getting my 30 minutes in on my lunch hour. The Tecnical Center has about 2 miles of underground tunnels that I can walk through as the weather is colder than hell right now.
      30 minutes of sex on lunch hour? You really do have a good job!

Yeah, the was a story some time back, that Boston is just pumped full of everythg bad, exactly why it taste so good.

I looked up "hydrogenated oil" on google and this is one of 365,000 articles.

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutr...natedOils.html - 21k -

It's an interesting read.

Matt

Yogurt... replace your morning meals with non-fat vanilla yogurt and granola. Also the key is not to eat less but eat more.

Thats right eat six small meals a day, between breakfast lunch and dinner eat a small high protien, or high carb snack like unsalted peanuts, yogurt.

Im sure we've all heard that your body can digest and burn more calories more effecient if you intake smaller meals more often as opposed to 3 large meals.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Thanks Jill.

Well...that explains it. And I had a feeling that's what it was too.

- Start date; June '01

Might I suggest, since you're changing your eating habits, get a chart of food Ph like this.....There is belief that cancers and such can't survive in an alkali system...Healthy can help lose wieght AND possibly help prevent diseases..... Just some thoughts... (plus + is good)

Alkalising Foods/Drinks Relative pH Acidifying Foods/Drinks Relative pH
      Cucumber +31.5 pork-38.0
      Alfalfa Sprouts +29.3 Veal -35
      Soy Sprouts +29.5 Beef -34.5
      Avocado +15.6 Chicken -18
      Tomato +13.6 Eggs -18
      Summer Radish +39.4 Hard Cheese -18.1
      Kamut Grass +27.6 Quark -17.3
      Carrot +9.5 Cream -3.9
      Soy Beans (soaked) +12.8 White Bread -10
      Soy Lecithin (pure) +38 Wholemeal Bread -6.5
      Cabbage +14.1 Rye Bread -2.5
      Celery +13.3 Pistachios -16.6
      Garlic +13.2 Peanuts -12.8
      Spinach +13.1 Cashews -9.3
      Watercress +7.7 Margarine -7.5
      Leeks +7.2 Corn Oil -6.5
      Courgette +5.7 Butter -3.9
      Fresh Soy Beans +12 Artificial Sweeteners -26.5
      Tofu +3.2 Chocolate -24.6
      Lemons +9.9 White Sugar -17.6
      Limes +8.2 Fructose -9.5
      Cucumber +31.5 Honey -7.6
      Wheatgrass +33.8 Ketchup -12.4
      Sprouted Radish Seeds +28.4 Mayonnaise -12.5
      Barley Grass +28.1 Mustard -19.2
      Red Cabbage +6.3 Soy Sauce -26.2
      Almonds +3.6 Vinegar -39.4
      Olive Oil +1 Liquor -38.7
      Flax Seed Oil +3.5 Wine -16.4
      Turnip +8 Beer -26.8
      Asparagus +1.3 Coffee -25.1
      Onion +3.0 Fruit Juice (Natural) -8.7
      Watermelon -1.0 Fruit Juice (Processed) -33.6
      Tea (Black) -27.1
      Sorry for long post....

Well....I'm not quite overweight, but I thought I'd chime in on what I've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by rob07002
      I'm with ya Tony, but from experience, you cannot cut those foods entirely out of your diet and be succesful.
      Hence why Weight watchers is the most successful program out there. ;)
      My woman uses it and so do many of the people I know who have lost
      the weight, and kept it off. Portion control and calculating the healthiness
      of each item is key.
      Never understood all that stuff til I met her either.
      Now I look at the nutritional info for EACH item I purchase.

Atkins......you will gain more once you get off it.

My resolution was to start running more. ( I hate it ...hate it....hate it)
      I'm 33 and both sides of my family have Diabete's, and now I just
      found out I'm a LITTLE bit over my normal blood sugar levels. I'm
      still at the point of "lifestyle change" capacity. So I was working out
      religiously until my baby boy was born in Oct. I was also a big time
      partying drinking fool. (I'm Irish) That's all changed now.....baby changed all that.

My new years resolution will be to run as often as I can to keep my
      body clean and burn as much fat as possible. I'm 5'11" and 185lbs
      so I'm not "fat" but I could be in much better physical shape. Plus I'm
      going to be getting married on the beaches of the bahama's this summer. So I gotta cut up for it.

I was at Costco's yesterday and almost picked up a Rotisserie chicken. LOL!!!
      Costco ROCKS dude.....

Here's my breakdown for food advice.
      Chicken - Costco - 12 pack breasts $16-$20 max - Buy 2 or 3 packs.
      > (get Chicken flavor packs at your local grocery and bake.....they have so many flavors )
      Burger meat - Costco - Substitute with Turkey burger, you'll get used to it. Trust me.
      Bacon - Costco - 4 pack of Turkey bacon is the best out there, tried quite a few.
      Apples - Watch for Honeycrisp when they are in season. Best crispy apples ever IMO. Expensive though.
      Get a apple slicer/coring thingy...lol Then dip in peanut butter for a snack....dude they're awesome.
      Milk - ONLY 1% or skim milk for the protein. Milk has ALOT of protein in it.
      Potatoes - steer clear as much as possible. Especially chips or fried.
      DO NOT EVER microwave them either. It increases the Acrylamide in them.
      http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2...5-03-07-05.asp
      Eggs - Eat egg whites only, or only 1 yolk per 4 egg whites at the most.
      Get used to it. Yolks are horribly bad for you.
      Red Meat - Eat as little as possible, but if you DO eat it, get good lean pieces of steak.
      Carbs - Finally.....reduce your carb intake, be conscious of it, but DO NOT cut them out.
      I always load up on Carbs for breakfast.....most important meal of the day.

Give yourself a "Splurge" day ONLY if you're strict all week. Once a week you get to eat bad.

If you like tuna, I can give you an AWESOME quick tuna lunch idea
      that isn't like your normal boring tuna salad. trust me. PM me if you
      want the recipe. It's totally different and I eat it like candy.

I have been working out regularly my entire adult life. I have seen work out partners come and go. The usual problem is they shoot for the moon. I want to work out 6 days a week,blah, blah, blah You have to stick to a plan that is achievable and maintainable. It's much easier to stick less in your mouth than work it off at the gym.
      I agree with the weight watcher remark. My lady has lost a good amount of weight and keeps it off. It educates you on how much and what you can eat. If I was overweight I would probably do it and not tell anybody. haha
      Todd

Count me in. I used to be in great shape. I usually went to the gym 4 days a week, mountain biked 20-30 miles each weekend day. Then roughly 8 years ago I stopped exercising because work got busy, taking care of my son, etc.. The problem was my eating habits didn't stop when my physical activities stopped, so today I'm roughly 50 lbs. overweight.

My biggest issue has been that I didn't want to be that fat guy riding down the trail, or that fat guy at the gym and get the "look", so it was easier just not to do it.

I'm not sure about drinking soy milk, but at least I can start exercising and eating better. No more egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast, oatmeal please.
      Chris K.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
      STAIRS.

Another good tip is to have a cheat meal once a week. The whole idea is that it will help you stay on track with the junk food cravings and also is said to actually increase metabolism since the body isnt used to it, it will work harder to break those calories down.

Edit: I just read about the SPLURGE DAY! I wouldn't eat junk the whole DAY, just one meal.

I eat 5-6 times a day. 3 meals and 2-3 snackes. Some things I'll snack on are yogurt, peanuts and granola bars. Eating more often also helps keep your metabolism up high as opposed to skipping meals or eating 2 huge meals during the day.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com