Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

'69 Dodge Dart suspension question

Can a '69 Dart suspension be altered to handle well, and provide a decent ride? If so, I would appreciate the direction needed to take to make the alterations. Thanks, Ed.

Country Flag: United States
      Yes......depends on what you want to do with the car and budget?

Call RMS chassis.....AlterKtion front susp, 4link rear susp, designed for Abodies. Add subframe connectors to the above and it will handle well, this would be on the higher budget.......not to promote another forum but check out www.bigblockdart.com for good info

Rjsjea,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out AlterKtion and Bigblockdart.

Merry Christmas,

Ed

if you have the $$ Art Morrison can build a full frame chasis for your dart, you will get the stance you want, the handling, and the comfortable ride you want, the CAD design it specificallly for your car...

http://www.artmorrison.com/

they are on the forum to so if you have any questions you could ask them!
      Colin Russ

Young Gun,

Yeah, if I had cubic dollars I pay a visit to Art Morrison. He, and his group, are artists when it comes to chassis.

Thx,

Ed

I've been out of the Chrysler stuff for quite a few years, but doesn't Mopar Performance offer upgraded torsion bars and leaf springs for the A-bodies? That would be a starting point I would think. Along with some good shocks, and subframe connectors.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson
      73 VW Super Beetle "Sports Bug"
      95 Taurus SHO 5-speed -- new open-track beater

I am sure others will chime in with the benefits of XV.

I offer maximizing the stock architecture. Complete rebuild, with poly bushings everywhere, C body tie rods, larger diamater torsion bars, sway bars, and premium shocks. Re-inforce the lower control arm too. Subframe connectors are a must.
      Premium power-steering boxes are our there, Manual boxes too.

There are sub frames out there, but they will have you broke
      Check out magnum force for Tubular upper control arms, as a second step option, above the basic architecture, without breaking the bank....

XV doesnt make Abody suspension. Magnum Force has been said to have fitment issues.

Backtobasics--I agree with maximizing stock....depending on motor size, because torsion bars,starter clearance can be a pain in the A$$ with headers.

The simplest, easiest combo for suspension is 1.12 torsion bars, 1.0 front sway bar, 120# rear leafs and the best shocks you can afford. This combo has been called out as the baseline for mopar handling applications by the chassis book for a long time now. A variation on this is a 1.125 front sway bar with a .75 rear sway bar. This is also assuming you have the requisite chassis stiffening, a modern alignment, decent brakes, good steering box, good bushings and so on.

But, what is the intended application and budget and where are you starting from? Are you SCCA class racing, open track day driving, NASA HPDE member, street machine, psuedo drag racer or what? There are some slightly differing requirements and options for all of them as far as what is allowable or available. Is your car apart for a rebuild, is it a driver that you want to upgrade in segments, do you want to jump into all of it at once?

Like backtobasics and rjsjea said... If you want to do it cheap then go with whe stock style. If you have the extra cash then you might want to upgrade. But remember that one of the biggest things that you can do to improve the handling is to get some good tires as they are the only thing contacting the road. After that if you want more than it is all about geometry and the setup.

What did you end up with on this? Old post I know....
      2003 Crewcab Dually Dirtymax

1980 Malibu...6.0 LSx turbo on the stand.

2000 SS th400 little juice

2002 C5 glide swap, motor shopping

1970 Nova... still waiting.

Country Flag: Canada
      hemideny.com, its better than the aterkation, im running it in my 69 dart, thats getting a 5.7 hemi with a 88 mm borgewarner turbo

Hey Wade, also from Edmonton. Used to be a counterman at Performance Parts when they were called BestBuy on 170st before they moved to 149st.
      Anyway, the link would be www.hemidenny.com - You missed one "n"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com