Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Which rear end for a 67 Camaro??

Is there any particular stock rear end that is a direct bolt in to a 67 Camaro that will handle around 500 HP out of any stock application??

Country Flag: United States
      Only bolt in are from 1st gen camaro's and the 8.5" from Nova's, not sure of exact year range.

For living with 500 hp it depends. You can make a stock rear end last if you don't drive to agressively. It also depends on if you are running manual vs. automatic, drag racing, etc.

I'd look for a nice built up 8.5" 10 bolt or 12 bolt.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Ok, what do the 12 bolts come in? I may just build up my 10 bolt if it is going to be complicated.

Only 12 bolt that is going to "bolt in" is from another 67-69 Camaro.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

You can always order a complete assembly new from Moser engineering. A new 12 bolt that is set up to your specs that is. Probably around 2,000.00.

Imho, a '67 deserve's a 12-bolt.

pdq67

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfireman
      Ok, what do the 12 bolts come in? I may just build up my 10 bolt if it is going to be complicated.
      I'm not sure why a '67 deserves a 12 bolt. If so, why wouldn't a '68 or '69?

Anyway unless your running a built big block with slicks the proper 10bolt will hold up especially when you consider the vehicle weight. Plenty of people are flogging 10bolts at the tracks with slicks and heavier cars.

However, if your 10 bolt is the stock one it's not a 8.5" that Chad recommmended. Those came in the Novas and their respective GM clones. Yours would be a 8.2" which is not as strong and may not handle your power levels. They also sold the 8.5" in 2nd Gens, but be careful as those are slightly wider overall and the spring perches would need modification (hince no longer a true bolt in). So, 10 bolt you would need a Nova rear starting from '71 I believe (do a web search).

One downside to the 12 bolt (besides being more expensive, a little harder to find unlesss you buy new, and greater parasitic losses) is that there are three carrier sizes, so gear size is limited depending on carrier (although there are sometimes spacers available to cheat it).

Oh, there is a downside to using a 10 bolt. When you're bench racing you can't brag "I got a 12 bolt" to impress your friends.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

a 72-75 nova 10 bolt (8.5") will be an exact fit. I picked 2 up off of ebay this past year for myself and my dad and they fit perfectly (width is the same as well as the perch locations).

Mine was ~$400 delivered and is a posi. He paid $250 for this with an open diff.

I put new axles in mine already and will be doing a carrier in the next year or so. I'll have a rear that can handle 750 hp for under 1k

We replaced the perches for mono leaf springs when we did mine using a Camaro rear. A 70-81 Camaro rear is a hair wider. It's been since around 1991 when we did mine.
      http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1969
      a 72-75 nova 10 bolt (8.5") will be an exact fit.

Can also use 72-75

chevy - Nova
      olds - Omega
      pontiac- Ventura
      buick - Apollo

all the same car basicly.

Mine is from an olds with multileaf works great.
      -Ed Nelson

1967 Firebird.......
      1970 Corvette. -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hidro
      Can also use 72-75

chevy - Nova
      olds - Omega
      pontiac- Ventura
      buick - Apollo

all the same car basicly.

Mine is from an olds with multileaf works great.
      Actually you can go as far back as 68 on these cars. Some will have monoleaf but that can easily be converted with a global west kit, etc. Second gen F-car (70-81) are wider and the spring perches are in a different position as someone mentioned.

Also, the aftermarket is full of 12-bolts and 9-inch ford styles that are a direct bolt in with a wide variety of gear choices (Moser, Strange, Currie, etc). Some accept stock brakes and some only accept aftermarket...some things to consider... good luck- Ron
      Ron
      69 Camaro Redfire, thanks to
      Marquez Design | Ring Brothers

The earliest you could get a 8.5 10 bolt is 1970

Quote Originally Posted by redfire69
      Actually you can go as far back as 68 on these cars. Some will have monoleaf but that can easily be converted with a global west kit, etc. Second gen F-car (70-81) are wider and the spring perches are in a different position as someone mentioned.

Also, the aftermarket is full of 12-bolts and 9-inch ford styles that are a direct bolt in with a wide variety of gear choices (Moser, Strange, Currie, etc). Some accept stock brakes and some only accept aftermarket...some things to consider... good luck- Ron
      The only direct bolt in is the 72-75's though...

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1969
      The only direct bolt in is the 72-75's though...
      No offense, but how do you mean? I know it depends on mono/multi but I've swapped a 10 bolt from a 68 Nova mono to a 69 Camaro multi w/no problem. No fabbing, just global west poly/spacer kit.

Also if the 67 above has a radius rod, then none of these are really bolt-in ...JMO...
      Ron
      69 Camaro Redfire, thanks to
      Marquez Design | Ring Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by redfire69
      No offense, but how do you mean? I know it depends on mono/multi but I've swapped a 10 bolt from a 68 Nova mono to a 69 Camaro multi w/no problem. No fabbing, just global west poly/spacer kit.

Also if the 67 above has a radius rod, then none of these are really bolt-in ...JMO...
      I think he means the X bodies didn't start using 8.5" rears until 1972. Earlier ones only came with the 8.2" 10 bolt which is the same as the 1st Gen Camaro 10 bolts.

http://novaresource.org/axle.htm
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Stay away from the 8.2, The 8.5 is a very good rear and there are tons of good parts for them to make them durable. They should be very plentiful also.

The 8.5 GM 10 bolt rear will hold up 500hp without issue.
      I would recommend welding the axle tubes to the center section so you never have to worry about spinning the center .

Another vote for the 8.5 10 bolt. Very strong when built decent.
      Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com