Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

TH400 To a carbed 5.3?

Not to familiar with the gen III engines, but anyone know if I can run my th400 with a 5.3 gen III engine?I dont really wanna spend $$$ to get a 60e or 80e plus controller,just tryin work with what I got for the time being to get the velle on the road, any input will be appreciated.thnx guys and gals

they will work together. Alot of drag racing guys run the the 400 with LS1's. There is an adapter bracket that is needed and the cost isn't much.

LS1tech.com has quite a bit of information on this topic and where to buy the adapter plate.

Andrew

thnx for the reply, I wont be doin any drag racing, hows the reliability and drivibilty on the street? or should I just go with 700r4 as recomended by a friend?

TH400's are tough trannys, but for everyday cruising and driving a 700r4 is defintely the better bet. Personally, I would go with the 4l60e, which will bolt right up to your 5.3.

Set of twist machine paddles and you are all set! good luck

Country Flag: United States
      I bolted an old Muncie bellhousing up to the back of a 5.3 LS1. Only issue was the lack of one bolt hole. Nothing a drill and a tap wouldn't fix.
      The problem is with the flex plate. The LS engines use a "metric" flex plate. The bolt holes for the torque converter won't match up. I don't see whay a stock LS flex plate couldn't be redrilled with some carefullt measuring.
      A TH350 would save some weight and free up some power.
      I agree otherwise, work with what you have and get it on the street.
      Does Summit/Jegs offer an "adapter" flex plate?

Country Flag: United States
      I just looked at your photo album. The car looks good. Even slow progress is good progress (as in my case), yours reminds me of mine.

It's come a long way in the last year, full frame, different front suspension,Vette IRS and Halibrand wheels.
      I haven't messed with it in 3 months though.

The 5.3 has a stout bottom end and the TH400 can take abuse. Do you plan on using EFI or the Holley carb/MSD ignition combo?
      You could always turbo the thing later on too.
      Keep up the good work.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com