Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Homemade IRS

Hybrid View

Homemade IRS

I have an idea on a IRS and want some ideas. Would it be possible to use an existing rear end, narrow it enough then make some brackets to solid mount the pumpkin? On a project I'm thinking of, I might need an IRS due to the driveshaft ending up too short. Under 12". Hoping I can use one of the rear ends I have and not have to get an IRS specific pumkin.

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      sounds pretty small. Datsun?

What kinda wheel base are you running with?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Like so

Ok admit it you're scared
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

Its C4 Vette stuff BTW
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

What axles do you have laying around?
      You can probably whip something up using 4x4 front axle parts.
      You'll probably be better off just getting an IRS, though.

Scared yea! I'd still drive it though! I was thinking of 4x4 axels too. The wheelbase is 109".

However, it is a shortwheel base van, with the idea of relocating the engine to behind the front seats, like the old A100 vans/ pickups. Doing rough estimates the "standard" driveshaft with a live rear end with make one short driveshaft. Basically the tranny would almost bolt directly to the pinion, hence the need for IRS. With the engine back there turbos can take the place under the hood. All the mid engine van conversions have been on the 127" wheelbase except for this shortened one. Mid engine Van

This is the subframe he used and it looks like it pivots at the front with the rear solidly attached to it. Not too fond of the whole engine being on a moving suspension member. I would airbag the van as well.

Country Flag: United States
      This VW bus was in Hot Rod a while back...has the same engine mounted rear suspension. Also was a Hot Rod mag Top10 in 2006.
      http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...3_1962_vw_bus/

Get a newer Vette transaxle, mounted to the motor. Not as cheap, but still do-able. The setback could even be more with one of those.

i would recomend jaguar.... its basically a dana 44, and it is real easy to install... here are some pics of what i did..

i believe the irs in the mid 90s thunderbirds is 8.8" ring gear, pretty stout setup. if you need any help making some custom cv joints, pm me
      1991 T/A - LS1 swap in progress
      2000 GTP - Slow DD

Twin Turbo, when you added the upper control arm to your C3 IRS, was there any problem with the axleshafts binding?

Country Flag: Netherlands
      No, because right now the stub is floating. If I wanted to built it all with the pivots and lengths in compliance with the halfhsaft the geometry would be less than desired. Floating the stubs is just for mockup, I still have to order some telescopic shafts like the vipers and the panteras have, then I'll put the clip back in the diff. I needed new shafts anyway since the rear susp. is significantly wider than stock so I figures, why stick with that geometry. This way I have more room above the outboard upper arm mount also.

BTW folks, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a C4 Dana 44 IRS ('88-'96 style) in the Classifieds. Can easily ship this in several boxes.
      • '70 Mercedes 280SL (wife's)
      • '55 Nomad
      • 71 BMW 2800CS
      • '06 Chrysler 300c SRT8 (wife's)

Viper IRS

Hey guys, In case you're interested.

I have a COMPLETE IRS set-up out of a 98 Viper GTS. All parts are in excellent condition. This includes the following:

Rear frame section (all mounting points, factory correct) 60.6" track width
      2 Complete Differentials (3.08)
      4 half shafts
      R & L suspension corners (complete w/ brakes)
      sway bar, brakes lines/cables & ALL attaching hardware.

$3400 COMPLETE w/ brakes

If you're looking to go IRS, you will not find a stronger, better engineered set up. Take a look a what the Vipers are doing with these out back. Drag, Road racing, they can take a beating & will out perform almost all other rear suspension set-ups in the handleing dept. The aftermarket IRS are worthless in anything more that 400 hp & super expensive. If you are in the process of building your chassis, the install is not as difficult as you may think. It's actually very similar to back-halving a car.

I've got $3400 into it & just want to make my money back. I think it's steal considering what you get vs. other diff/suspension set-ups.
      Please contact me (email or pm)if you/'re interested.

thanx,
      scotty H.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com