Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Another new guy from FL

... and just like the guy I'm posting after, I have a Corvair, although it is not my pro-touring car.

I have enjoyed (well maybe not always at the time enjoyed) putting Chevy V8 motors into other cars. I still have all of the below, plus a 2006 car hauler and a 1998 Durango to move them as needed.

Past/ongoing projects:
      1975 Datsun 280Z with 1995 LT1/T56 from my Trans Am

(Lost most pics of this car when my computer crashed last year)
      Summary:
      $900 car, I got it with two rear wheels on it, a basket case. I recycled the drivetrain from my 1995 TA into it and bought a bunch of used parts to get it to where I could move it. Still needs interior, body, & paint work and some finishing touches on the swap. Car has an electronic Cobra reverse-wind speedometer since I did not want to fool with a cable adapter box.

1988 Toyota Supra with 2003 Chevy 5.3L LM7 truck motor/2006 TKO 600 trans

Summary:
      I had a beater Supra as a commuter car several years ago, and thought it would be neat to put a V8 into one. I found this one for around $800 and picked up another wrecked one for less than that. I had to cut & weld a new spare tire area into it due to a large rust hole. I made all the mounts & brackets myself. I did not use a T56 here since it didn't look like it would fit in the trans tunnel. I initially planned to add a single turbo to this car, but could not find the room to mount it. This car also needs paint. It has a phantom glitch in that the tachometer only works while the car is in reverse- still working this bug and a few others out.

1988 Mazda RX7 convertible w/ 2005 Chevy 5.3L L33 truck motor/1998 T56

Summary:
      $900 car I got in Orlando. It had sat outside for a long time, but was complete and had a pretty good body (very few rust repairs). I found a junkyard 30K mile L33 5.3L motor from a 2005 Silverado SS for $800 (this is the 310 HP high output version of the 5.3L truck motor) and a T56 in good shape for $500. I used a Hinson conversion kit along with my own fabrication as needed. I added a Racepak electronic dash to avoid the speedometer cable issue. Car is completely operational, but needs a new top and an AC control panel.

1995 Pontiac Trans Am 383 LT4 with homemade rear turbo/T56

Summary:
      Mid-life crisis #2... or was it #3? I got this car from a dealer in Orlando in 2000. I drove it as-was for a while, and then picked up a 1995 motor & tranny from a wrecked Z28. I had a buddy rebuild the motor with LT4 heads and splayed 4 bolt mains and low CR forged pistons. Did the bore & stroke to a 383 as well. I later added a home made rear turbo setup (couldn't fit it up front and wanted to keep the AC). With the first dyno tuning, car made 498 RWHP & 579 TQ. Added C5 brakes up front & larger 98+ disks in rear, along with larger swaybars. Initially had lowering springs, but too many rubs/scrapes, so OEM WS6 springs were used. Car has a HD 12 bolt rear with 3.73 gears and ZR-1 wheels, 17x9 and 17x11.

New arrival:
      1994 BMW 525iT w/ LM7 turbo (if it will fit) and T56.

Plan:
      I picked this car up along with a wrecked '95 525 sedan w/ manual tranny. The plan is to swap the manual setup into the wagon (all imported wagons were automatic), and then add another LM7 truck motor and the turbo I had for the Supra. This car has the wide 18" M-Parallel wheels, which was one of the reasons I bought it.

Oh yeah, the Corvairs are a 1965 Corsa Coupe & 1966 Corsa Convertible.

I've had the coupe for 30 years and got the convertible a few years back. The coupe is a project in perpetuity, I added 4 wheel disks from an E-body Toronado and have made some suspension upgrades. The convertible is a really nice car. It had a motor issue and the one I got for it was not much better, it has a major oil leak I need to fix.

All of these toys fit in a 60x40 toybox.

I moved in 2007 and this disrupted the projects, I hope to get back on track this fall.

Country Flag: United States
      That's quite the collection. Welcome to the site. What do we call you?

Country Flag: United States
      Wow, you've got some awesome projects/cars. Welcome to the site.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com