Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 Camaro with LS1...Fuel Cell or No Fuel Cell...

Hi Guys,

I purchased this car with a location already welded up to fit in a fuel cell in the trunk... Please see pic...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...31955069gHJhGA

I'm thinking that this might be my best bet...Just use a fuel cell for the LS1 swap... A Cell such as this... http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...00AS&x=13&y=13

However, the car did come with a new trunk pan and a new fuel tank and sending unit... The previous owner had plans to convert back to the original stock appearance of the fuel system. I don't even think this tank/unit will work with the fuel injected LS1 anyway...

What have all of you other LS1 First Gen swappers done? Fuel Cells or Fuel Tanks...???

I don't really love the look of the fuel Cell in the trunk but it would save some fabrication and I could always sell the new trunk pan, sending unit, and Fuel Tank...

Thanks,
      TIM

'68 Camaro SS 383+D1SC, Orion Silver (Dyno #'s Soon!)
      '95 Camaro Z28 383 LT1 (405 RWHP/428 RWTQ, SAE - DynoJet)
      '99 Corvette LS1

Country Flag: United States
      I am doing an ls1 swap in a 72 nova and I didn't want to use a fuel cell either, so I bit the bullet and bought a rock valley stainless fuel tank to fit in the stock location and it has an intank fuel pump for the ls1.

It is a really nice peice, I highly recommend them but they are expensive.
      72 Nova SS, on the back burner for now.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct in the middle of an ls1 swap, but thinking about changing directions to a duramax diesel swap.

Really Nice Tank...I'd love one...I'm afraid to ask the price...

I may have to be a little tighter on my budget...

TIM
      '99 Corvette LS1

Tim

I pm'ed you some more info

The main reason I went this route was that by the time I would have bought a good fuel cell, a good fuel pump etc...I was going to save about $200 over the rock valley tank, but then again I was looking at aeromotive pumps(theyre kinda pricey too)
      Last edited by justanova; 01-06-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add more info

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct in the middle of an ls1 swap, but thinking about changing directions to a duramax diesel swap.

I also went with the rockvalley tank when I went my LS1 swap. its got a built in pump, etc. these are awesome tanks and the price isnt really more than any other route you will take incuding modifiying your stock tank, so I would recomend the rockvalley tank or someone who makes one similar. just my 2 cents!
      colt zantop

1968 camaro LS1.......aka......."NJECTED"

I bought a new '69 tank and sent it to Madman Racing (in Houston) and they fabbed up a custom sump and return line inlet onto it. So, I have two 3/8 plugs at the bottom of the sump, and another 3/8 plug at the top for the return line.

I used an external Aeromotive inline pump.

It cost around $150 for Brian to fab and tig weld that sump in. Their website is www.MadmanAndCoRacing.com . Ask for Brian, tell him Tony Whatley referred you.
      Co-Founder, LS1TECH.com

Forged Wheel Dealer, Contact me for a quote!
      www.DV8Motoring.com

Thanks 9 Ball...

The fab work on the stock tank looks nice...I might just have to give 'em a call some time in the near future...

TIM
      '99 Corvette LS1

I have a that same RCI fuel cell, except mine has the baffles and foam inside it. I figured that'd be one of the cheaper routes to go, but I'd have gotten a 15 gal. instead b/c the 20 gal. won't fit in the bottom of the trunk. I'm gonna cut the floor out and mount it to a piece of plate welded flush to the higher sides of the trunk, so the trunk will be almost totally flat. My trunk floor is rusted through anyway, so this is a good fix for me.
      Pro-Touring 1969 Trans Am clone,2002 LS1/6spd,4.10s,FM-15,Comp 921 kit, S&P headers, 3" Flowmaster 1 Chamber exhaust with Dr.Gas X-pipe, 20 gal. aluminum fuel cell,Walbro 255,2001 Firehawk black leather seats,dash, and 6spd console, 17x9.5 L.G. Motorsports World Challenge wheels,Hotchkis sway bars, etc., etc., etc.... SOLD

just an fyi, Brad Laczny (username is whytry)is guaging interest on some parts in the market place section and one item is a sumped 68 camaro tank with dual -8 outlets.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com