Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Largest Size Wheel....

Anyone know if I could runa 18x9.5" wheel on a stock sub with DSE lowers (Steering limiters) uppers and AFX stock height spindles...

Or am I just nuts?

tried a search, didn't come up with any solid info... cant afford to buy wheels and return them as it depends on what rear end I get also...

('68 camaro)

Country Flag: United States
      I beleive CarlC has a 17x9.5 w/4.5bs and 275/40/17 on the front of his 68 Camaro. He has Speed Tech's uppers and lowers though. Here is the link
      http://casanova.speedtech-performanc...de%20tires.htm
      Shannon

Modo Innovations
      940-391-9002

I think they would fit just fine if the backspacing was chosen properly and the steering arm issue is addressed.

The stock lower A-arms can be used. Lower tubulars are not necessary.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Carl, I was given the lower A-arms as a gift, not gonna throw 'em away now.

I had your site open as I posted this thread ;) I knew you were running 17x9.5" wheels I just didn't know if anyone had tried to run an 18x9.5. Nothing came up in search that appeared to be relevent :-\. I figure I will probobly get interference with the stock fenderwell, only I don't have much margin for error as my sponsor will be very unhappy if I order the wheels just to have to use something else.

Edit: I have short steering arms according to the #'s on David Pozzi's site, whew one thing I don't have to shell out dough for. LOL

Your site says you're running 5.5" of backspacing for your 17" wheel, maybe if I were to run a lower profile than 40 series i could maintain the same size wheel in the wheel well and get away with it?

Then again, your cars stance and wheels sure are growin on me ;)

Carl what offset do your wheels have? The wheels i'm looking at have 40mm front and 70mm rear offset

am I new, or is offset and backspacing the same exact thing?

Quote Originally Posted by aonghus
      am I new, or is offset and backspacing the same exact thing?
      You must be new. Offset and backspacing are two different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1
      You must be new. Offset and backspacing are two different animals.
      Couldn't find information to the contrary, what can I say.

Offset and backspacing are two different ways to represent the same thing. Most of us here use backspace.

I know that on two different 1968 Camaros (mine being one) that the 17x9.5x5.5BS rim fits, and that as little as -1/2* camber can be used. -1/2* is fine for a daily driven car. Personally, I would not go with a 18" rim that had a tire height any less than a 275/35. I do belive that a 275/35/18 would fit with fewer fitment issues than my 17's.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Back spacing - The measurement from the mounting pad to the inner edge of the wheel"
      Offset - The offset of the wheel is the distance from the mounting pad to the centerline of the wheel."

Negative offset - When the mounting surface is closer to the disk/drum
      (inside) of the wheel. Or the mounting pad is behind the centerline of the wheel. This type of wheel is commonly referred to as a deep-dish wheel. This offset is common in older vehicles and many of today's trucks and will bring the wheel/tire combination out away from the vehicle."

Positive offset - The mounting pad is forward of the centerline of the
      wheel, towards the street side of the wheel. This is common in most front wheel drive cars and some newer trucks. Generally speaking a positive offset wheel brings the wheels closer to the center of the vehicle."

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      I do belive that a 275/35/18 would fit with fewer fitment issues than my 17's.
      Is anyone else running a 275/35/18 on all fours? How do they fit?
      CarlC, what fitment issues do you think would be resolved? Would you be able to dial in more steering?
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by eville
      Is anyone else running a 275/35/18 on all fours? How do they fit?
      CarlC, what fitment issues do you think would be resolved? Would you be able to dial in more steering?
      Steve,

Did you end up fitting the 275/35/18s in front? Did you use a 18x9.5 w/ 5.5" BS? I just ordered those exact size tires for front and need to order my wheels now.

How do yours fit? Any rubbing or issues?

Dave
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com