Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fuel Filters

Country Flag: United States
      WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, Those filters are the self same everyone has on just about any GM car out there and if there so restrictive tell me why they will feed a 505 hp LS7?
      Now as some say if you need more flow add 2 filters in parralel, BUT I can guarantee you those are the least restrictive filters I have ever used.
      As for flow a friend has modded them (not sure how) to hook to either -8 or -10 and he flows enough to feed a 980 hp BBC and he only swapped ends as it was a bitch to hook up.
      As for being restrictive your only going to see a restriction IF it is getting stopped up.
      I see 500hp GM cars still running with these filters so plugged I couldnt even blow through them.
      One this tells you how adptive the stock setups are and how good the pumps and filters are.
      as for keeping up with the Walbro 255 , you will see no restriction issues with the GM ones, As for hooking it up just get the fuel line repair section from NAPA and adapt from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
      I to run the 100 and 10 micron setup. My problem is the 10 micron filter needs to be changed every 1000 to 1500 miles. I can tell when it need changing by the fuel pressure and the sound of the pump. Is any one else having this problem?
      I didn't know it until tonight, but hell yeah I'm having this problem.

Does anybody know what OEM filter ratings are in microns? Is a 10 micron filter really necessary?

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I have a Pro-flo EFI and use two Fram HPG-1 filters. One before the pump and one after. They are kinda big so theres alot of filtering area. So far no problems. JR

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I didn't know it until tonight, but hell yeah I'm having this problem.

Does anybody know what OEM filter ratings are in microns? Is a 10 micron filter really necessary?

jp
      Here is a very popular filter used by GM and others.

http://info.rockauto.com/WIX/DetailW...asp?Part=33481

According to the WIX specs it is a 4 micron filter. Sometimes stock is best! LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nicely done!

Per Andrew's link: 4 micron filter for an OEM spec. So Aeromotive's 10 micron filter is not that restrictive, and using it doesn't automatically mean that it will need replacement any more often than traditional filters.

Oh, and because I'm a little bored right now, I figured out Aeromotive's flow rate in gallons/minute: 5.5. Compare that to the Wix filter at 1-2. 4 micron filtration (40% of the size of the Aeromotive), 2 gallons/minute (40% of the flow of the Aeromotive). No magic there, and they probably both use similar materials for the filter itself.

jp
      John Parsons

Right: a 4 micron filter for an OEM spec. So Aeromotive's 10 micron filter is not that restrictive, and using it doesn't automatically mean that it will need replacement any more often than traditional filters.

Oh, and because I'm a little bored right now, I figured out Aeromotive's flow rate in gallons/minute: 5.5. Compare that to the Wix filter at 1-2. 4 micron filtration (40% of the size of the Aeromotive), 2 gallons/minute (40% of the flow of the Aeromotive). No magic there, and they probably both use similar materials for the filter itself.

jp
      Nope, no magic. But in an earlier post Doug Flynn posted how that little filter works just fine on his big block Nova that runs 10s. I really believe those garden hose sized pumps and filters are only needed at power levels that 90% of us never reach.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Nope, no magic. But in an earlier post Doug Flynn posted how that little filter works just fine on his big block Nova that runs 10s. I really believe those garden hose sized pumps and filters are only needed at power levels that 90% of us never reach.

Andrew
      Yep, overkill of a fuel system is something a lot of people do, just like going too big on headers & exhaust or too big on cams. Heck, right now I'm doing the EFI tune on a 600hp blown 383 that the owner bought twin A1000's for! Even 1 is more than enough! I can't get him to tell me who decided he needed two of them... LOL!

But then again some of us guys really do need pumps that will push 500 lb/hr...

As far as the OEM 4 micron filter you could always Y-block it and run 2 in parallel for double the flow rate if you really needed the extra flow capacity.

However, 2 GPM is roughly 12.1 lb/minute, or 726 pph; at a .50 BSFC that OEM filter can support 1450hp or so.
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

In Andrews earlier post he pasted the 4-micron rating.

I too shake my head when a pump 1/2 the size of the engine is being used, and it hangs down in the breeze for all to see (and catch on.)

From a reliability standpoint, a pump just large enough to do the job will yeild the best results. Less heat is a good thing for a pump and tank system. I really like the later model speed modulated pumps, and there are some available for the aftermarket as well. Pretty slick, but for most a 190-255lbh in-tank Walboro is more than enough.

I really like the in-tank 255 and C5 FPR. At close to 530FWHP supercharged, it is plenty of pump.
      Last edited by CarlC; 01-26-2009 at 08:33 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Uh, trying not to be defensive ...

All my brackets and what-not are built for Aeromotive stuff. So I'll stay with it. At least for now, and especially since I think I found the problem. It was such a simple thing, and I'm pissed at myself for only checking the one filter instead of both of them.

And my pump is a solid 11 inches off the ground, and hanging in the breeze keeps it cool.

jp
      John Parsons

However, 2 GPM is roughly 12.1 lb/minute, or 726 pph; at a .50 BSFC that OEM filter can support 1450hp or so.
      Cool! Thanks for that calculation. Can you point me to that formula? I'd like to understand more.

jp
      John Parsons

Not you JP. Yours is done nicely. I just cringe when I see some builds that have all that stuff hanging down well below a minimum safe level for both impact and asthetic values.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Latest news:

Aeromotive Tech Support tells me my scenario is common: the 10 micron filter gets dirty, forcing the pump to deal with fuel pressure in excess of 100 psi in order to put 40 psi at the rails. After some time, the pump gets hot, the fuel goes into cavitation, and it fails.

They recommend that you replace the 10 micron element after 100 miles or so after a newly built car or a newly built fuel system is placed into service, since the new system is the dirtiest it will ever be.

Add in my hose problems, and the whole scenario makes sense.

So there you go: an EFI vapor lock problem that has nothing to do with deadhead vs after-rail regulator plumbing.

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
      Not you JP. Yours is done nicely. I just cringe when I see some builds that have all that stuff hanging down well below a minimum safe level for both impact and asthetic values.
      Thanks! I worked hard to find a way to get my pump up out of the way for safety reasons.

jp
      John Parsons

Cool! Thanks for that calculation. Can you point me to that formula? I'd like to understand more.

jp
      Fuel Flow [lb/hr] / BSFC [lb/(hr HP)] = HP

That's assuming no factor of safety for injector duty cycle, power adders, etc...

You can't extrapolate one filter's flow rate from another based strictly on pore size (micron). It's conceivable to have a 10 micron filter that flows less than a 4 micron filter for the same pressure drop. You really need data (flow rate / pressure drop) to be making comparisons.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hammered
      You can't extrapolate one filter's flow rate from another based strictly on pore size (micron).
      I didn't. I used Aeromotive's published flow rate to compare the two filter elements. I was merely commenting that the micron size had a linear relationship with the flow rate, so my figures were reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammered
      Fuel Flow [lb/hr] / BSFC [lb/(hr HP)] = HP
      Thanks! I'll save that.

jp
      John Parsons

Sorry, I misread your email to mean that you were calculating one from another.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

That GM filter seems like its proven itself.

This product fits 5692 vehicle variants.
      Buick: 8 models, 44 variants between 1984 and 1991.
      Cadillac: 7 models, 225 variants between 1986 and 2006.
      Chevrolet: 47 models, 2396 variants between 1983 and 2006.
      GMC: 42 models, 2848 variants between 1983 and 2006.
      Medium Truck: 4 models, 23 variants between 1992 and 2002.
      Oldsmobile: 6 models, 66 variants between 1984 and 1996.
      Pontiac: 8 models, 90 variants between 1982 and 1993.

Ill stick with OEM whenever possible, Ive worked for an OEM for 15 years so I know how much testing goes into these parts.

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/p/_.../25171792.html

Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

so using a stock 3/8 line i just need to put a section out of it, add a fitting on each of the ends, flare them and install. Im using the vapor works setup and it seems like a good idea to have another fuel filter closer to the engine bay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com