Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LEDs in the gauge panel

I am currently working on a gauge cluster for my 81 camaro.
      Gauges are in a working. Now comes the LEDs for the idiot lights, high beam indicator, and turn signals. How do I wire them up to the cluster? Do I attach a lead wire from the printed circuit sheet? What materials will I need to tap the circuit sheet?

Radioshack makes a kit for soldering onto pc style boards. Check them out for the isntallation tools.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      Hopefully I can explain how my 67 dash stuff worked. I believe the same basic principles hold for your car.

Most "idiot" lights work in one of two ways. They either receive an electrical current through the circuit board via the wiring harness and the board acts as a ground. Or, the senor/switch acts as the ground to close the circuit. You will need to look at your wiring diagram to tell which way it works. Then replace the lights with LEDs accordingly.

Go to this site. http://www.superbrightleds.com/

It's a great source of information on LED usage in cars. They also sell individual LEDs with resistors already installed. I will be using these on my 67 'Bird.

It's really hard to give specific advice with seeing your diagram. My 67 was pretty basic. If you want some more info or help on this send me a copy of your diagram and maybe we can talk on the phone.

Hope this helps.
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

After removing the factory cluster/board in my Mustang I was left with the harness going into it, so after finding a wiring diagram I was able to find the wires I needed. I didn't cut the plug off the harness in case I ever wanted to go back to the stock cluster. For mounting I found some led holders at Radio Shack, sandblasted the "chrome" off of them and repainted them silver to better match the gauges. Here's a pic:

I haven't put my new steering wheel in yet, that one was just so I could move the car around.

Aaron
      Aaron
      1979 Trans Am

Country Flag: United States
      My factory gauge lights are 194 wedge base bulbs, I was going to buy these plastic bases for $.29 each to run to the leds for the turn signal.

http://superlumination.com/images/au.../194socket.jpg
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com