Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Trick to getting GM HEI Distributor into 68 Camaro?

Is there a trick to getting GM HEI Distributor into 68 Camaro? When I try to install the distributor hits the firewall.
      Thanks for any help.

Yep - that's a problem with all 1st gens, the HEI won't fit a stock firewall.
      Some guys beat the firewall back with a hammer, but I wouldn't.
      Spend the money for an MSD small cap dist and be done with it
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

before the car was in paint I clearanced the fire wall.

You could use mounts that move the engine 3/4" forward or just junk the HEI and get an MSD pro billet and coil.

Check your frame position. With the frame in the correct position there IS room for a large HEI distributor while using a stock cross member. Look in the forward body mount brackets (near the firewall) and you will see a small .610" (a little smaller than 5/8") hole. If you put a dowel or alignment pin in this hole it should align with a corresponding hole in the body and the pin should point straight up and down. Sometimes the frames are removed from these cars and not put back in the stock position or they get bumped and move over time. I had an HEI in my freshly restored 69 Z/28 RS. It was a close fit but it did fit.

Country Flag: United States
      B.f.h. ! ( LOL)
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE
      B.f.h. ! ( LOL)
      I did that 8 years ago!! Still have the scars on the firewall too. I also broke the seam to the upper cowl doing it!
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Yeah , me too.
      Actually my car already had it done when I bought it.
      Fastrc5 , just "massage" the firewall until you get enough clearance.
      Or if you don't want to rig it , buy an MSD.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

I bought an MSD Billet after cracking my HEI cap on my old 68.

My issue is the trans cross member is the wrong one and tilts the motor down in the back.(hack mechanic) Check all you mounts and body bushings for wear and such.

Information for any other first-gen Pontiac guys- HEI does fit and not have any problem with the firewall with a Pontiac engine. HEI however, does not work with the tri-power manifold. I learned that one on my GTO.
      1969 Firebird convertible M4 (project)

Manual steering, drum brakes, top and windows.
      Pontiac 350 7.6:1 compression ratio w/ 2.56s out back! 0-60 in under 5 minutes

Metallic brown w/ an eagle airbrushed on the hood! Worse yet the original color was red...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com