Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Idea for Hydraulic parking brake

I just wanted to throw out an idea that is in its infancy stage of contemplation in order to get some of you guys input on a parking brake idea.

I was recently driving an early 60's International Travel-All and I noticed one interesting component that I had never seen before. On the dashboard was a 3 inch long lever that operated a valve that had been plumbed into the brake line running to the rear brakes. To apply the parking brake you 1) push on the foot brake, 2) engage the parking brake lever, 3) release the foot brake. I assume this valve keeps the pressure that was created by the normal foot brake applied to the rear brakes, thus acting as a parking brake.

Through some internet browsing I found that many aircraft parking brakes operate using a similar concept. What do you guys think of the idea as it could be applied to our vehicles? Does anyone make a valve for this sort of application? Doesn't it seem like this could be easier than fabricating parking brake cables in some applications?

Lets hear what you all think!!

Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com