Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Idea for Hydraulic parking brake

I just wanted to throw out an idea that is in its infancy stage of contemplation in order to get some of you guys input on a parking brake idea.

I was recently driving an early 60's International Travel-All and I noticed one interesting component that I had never seen before. On the dashboard was a 3 inch long lever that operated a valve that had been plumbed into the brake line running to the rear brakes. To apply the parking brake you 1) push on the foot brake, 2) engage the parking brake lever, 3) release the foot brake. I assume this valve keeps the pressure that was created by the normal foot brake applied to the rear brakes, thus acting as a parking brake.

Through some internet browsing I found that many aircraft parking brakes operate using a similar concept. What do you guys think of the idea as it could be applied to our vehicles? Does anyone make a valve for this sort of application? Doesn't it seem like this could be easier than fabricating parking brake cables in some applications?

Lets hear what you all think!!
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

On a suburban I helped build they used a line lock plumbed into the rear brakes, same idea just modern equipment. Heres a pick of the burb http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/eventco.../photo_05.html
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

It's a nice thought, but let me give ya a fer-instance.
      Let's say your car runs over the edge of (insert bad thing here) and it snags/rips your lowered car's hydraulic brake tube/lines/whatever.
      Well, it's gonna be hard to apply hydraulic pressure w/o a transfer medium.
      That's the whole point behind an "emergency brake." If not, it sure would be a LOT easier to install rear discs off a C5 on our cars.

Country Flag: United States
      What John said! The point is not a "parking" brake, but an "emergency" brake in case the hydraulics fail for some reason.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Here's a good thread on e-brakes which gets into
      the topic of fluid-locks (line-locks)...

I think as a backup e-brake, line-locks are inexpensive
      and effective. But in an emergency, I want a
      mechanical clamp.

There's a link in the above thread to a $30 gadget
      from Jamar that does the job and appears to have
      an auto-release to protect against driving with the
      brakes locked.

Ok, I see what you guys mean about the "emergency" aspect of the idea. I suppose I hadn't thought of using a line-lock as something that does the same thing, but it does make sense.

I kinda like the product that HSV provided the link for. I mean, for someone with an automatic that is looking for an easy (albeit less effective in emergency situations) solution, that kind of thing would work well.

Either way, thanks for your input guys!!
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

If you ran over the edge of something bad and cut your rear brake line(s), I think you'd notice before you even got a chance to park the car.

Matt

Random thoughts;

Anyone ever try to stop a car with that "emergency" brake?

In any case, a lot of large trucks, motor homes, tow trucks, etc. use the line lock style of parking brake.

On the other hand, I believe our Maryland State Inspection requires a mechanical parking brake.

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442
      Anyone ever try to stop a car with that "emergency" brake?
      Twice.

My first car was a 66 Mustang coupe which still had
      the original single-reservoir master. It failed before
      I had gotten around to swapping it out. That e-brake
      was scary slow, but it eventually did the job.

The other time I was the front seat passenger in
      an awful wreck. A kid ran a stop light going over
      60 mph and t-boned our driver's side door and front
      fender. The driver was knocked unconcious by the
      impact. I was out for a half-second. When I got my
      bearings, I saw that our car was rolling towards a
      ditch which had a steep 10-foot drop. When the driver
      didn't respond to my yelling, I reached over and
      yanked the console e-brake. It stopped us instantly
      and prevented a nasty tumble into that ditch. We
      all walked away from that accident with relatively
      minor injuries.

I always preferred under-dash pedal e-brakes to
      the console handles found in most Dern Furin' cars.
      But ever since that accident, I've been a big fan of
      them. When I rod my 66 Mustang vert, it will get
      one too.

Well as for using it as a parking brake which they were designed for, to lock a car after parking because old trannys didnt have park and older low compression engines were never ment to hold a car.
      Now can we use parking brakes for an emergency brake in the event of a hydralic failure,,,yes doe we ever do it not mostly.
      But NAPA has sold mechanical /hydralic brake locks for years. I have even seen a fella use one and a spring/bungie strap to launch a drag car. He only had one arm.
      Nothing wrong with incorporating one into your car, might even prove usefull for antitheft too.
      Lee

Hi guys,

Going back to this old thread for a second...if a linelock were to be used and say the battery quit after being parked for a long time, would the linelock disengage?? Or is it a device that needs current just when its first applied?

Thanks!
      Manuel Scettri
      ------------------------------------------------
      1973 Firebird - Pontiac 455
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      2016 KIA Sportage diesel - The Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by jp455
      Hi guys,

Going back to this old thread for a second...if a linelock were to be used and say the battery quit after being parked for a long time, would the linelock disengage?? Or is it a device that needs current just when its first applied?

Thanks!
      Needs current to be active and hold pressure. It is just a spring loaded solinoid. Press the brakes. Activate solinoid. That hold the pressure on the front brakes. Once the button is release (or the battery dies) the solinoid will open and pressure is released.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Anyone know how long a line-lock can be applied before it kills the battery? Or how much juice a solenoid draws? It'd be curious and informative to know. I have a line-lock on my car, which was a street/strip car...now it is all apart. But I'm keeping the line-lock installed, and it'd make a good parking brake with the 5-speed that's going in. Just curious as to how long it should/could be applied.
      Wayne Smith
      '70 Camaro - 406 - Street/Strip being converted to Pro-Touring (best 1/4 run - 11.05 @ 121, 1.50 60' - NA)
      '47 Chevy truck - 250 L6 / 5 spd - Resto Rod/Work Truck in the works

I know we have a valve like that on one of our wreckers, and the boss says not to park it overnight with the hydraulic brakes active, because it'll push past the seals in the caliper.

don't use a line lock, i bought one off Ebay for $30. Apply brakes, push knob down... you are locked!

I don't think you can pass annual inspection in Va with anything other than a mechanical ebrake.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by ks71z28
      don't use a line lock, i bought one off Ebay for $30. Apply brakes, push knob down... you are locked!
      Then it would work fine as a "parking brake."

Would work if you needed the car stopped while running, any other time just leave it in gear.

Yeah, probably not the safest way to go. But niether is driving a 40 year old car, :-) .

There are a lot of parking brakes on newer cars that would never work as an "emergency brake." I agree that a mechanical system is nice as a backup to hydrollc in the case of emergency. That said a lot of mechanical systems are not capable of locking the tires or stopping a car at speed.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Is there any risk of damaging piston seals or anything like that in the calipers from sustained clamping (say overnight) if you were to use a hydraulic-style parking brake?

Jeff K.

Country Flag: Sweden
      Here is My version of a parking/emergency brake.
      (Not finished on pics."Under construction")

I used an old Toyota Clutch Slave Cylinder , connected to the original parkingbrake pedal/wire. Correction :"MASTER cylinder"
      Itīs not very "High Tech" looking , but You get the idea.

Rear calipers are Wilwood Dynalites .
      So as a parkingbrake ,it works really good.
      When pushing the P-brake pedal while driving,there is no problem to stop the car. (even locks the tires)

I know that it could be a problem if the piston seals are leaking, when parked.
      So i allways leave it in gear.

Before , I had Wilwoods single piston floating Mechanical Spot Calipers in the rear for P-brake. Didnīt work at all.

I talked to a guy at The Swedish Motor Vehicle Inspection Co.
      He said that even some newer Mercedesī and BMWīs barely passes the tests. Parking/Emerg.- brakes are to weak.

Anyone have experience with these new Wilwoods?
      http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-...-cpb/index.asp

So,...continue post ideas about P-brake solutions.

----------------------------------------------------------
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com