Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Project FNQUIK

Country Flag: United States
      Cool!

Congrats on the great test fit of your motor! looks awesome!
      Pat

Thanks guys I got the 4l85 in today but it's to far to the drivers side of the tunnel. Tomorrow I'm going to loosen the engine mounts to see if I can shift it to the center.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

A little update for today. We relieved some pressure on the frame mounts with the engine crane and got the mounts loosened and got enough slack to push the trans over to center it. I bought a used X Factor cross member a while back and never realized how its made. It's two maybe 3/16" thick pieces sandwiched together on each side of the trans mount platform. Different for sure. Its for a T 56 but it lines up pretty well. It will take some mods to get it to work but it will let me hold the trans up for us to get my drive line angle figured out.

Country Flag: Canada
      Looks to be coming together really well. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Thanks guys I got the 4l85 in today but it's to far to the drivers side of the tunnel. Tomorrow I'm going to loosen the engine mounts to see if I can shift it to the center.
      Wayne,

Did you get a 4L85e that GM sells?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Man that's one hell of a nice car man. I love the undercoat inside the panels. Good choice on the lsa drive line. I wish I could tear my Buick down as far as you did, but they don't make panels for mine. I'm impressed by what you've done.

Thanks guys ! Andrew, yes its the 4l85E that comes with the Connect and cruise kit. Its made to take the power of the 720hp 572 they sell. It has 5 gear planetary set to help take the power.
      Wayne

I have a small update but first a question
      If I drop my motor mount point down 1/4"-3/8" will this give me any difference in my tranny mount height or will it just carry the same amount I drop to the mount? How many degrees could I gain either way if dropping the same amount if from the engine mount to the trans mount is 44" ? Or is this a crazy question?

Thanks in advance

Here's the reason why I ask.

This is what I have for space under the oil pan to my frame. about 5/8" I'm close to 3.5 - 4 degrees down now.

Here is what I have between my G Force cross member and the transmission mount. (That's a 2x4 on the flat) I could also use more room to keep the 4l85 lower in the tunnel. I need room for a connection on the drivers side.

Spaceman and I fit the passenger header in and it fits with nothing hitting but some are close. collector to the floor is about 3/8" and to the idler arm is a c hair.

02 sensor is a no go for sure it will have to be moved to the outside of the collector.

The frame mount it almost touching the header tube it will be trimmed.

Wayne

If you drop the motor down the rear of the transmission doesn't change but the angle does. That would really bring your driveline angle to 3 degrees. The issue with that then is the other clearance issues you have already noticed. Another thing that will pop up the increase in header angle might place the header collector into the floor. Honestly based off of what I'm seeing on that oil pan i wouldn't drop the engine anymore. Go to amazon and buy yourself a digital angle finder for about $40. Get it close to 3 degrees and you will be plenty fine

Worked in the garage again yesterday. We lifted the motor to get the drivers side header in and put the metal spacer under the trans mount for the test. I got 3.80 degrees down the way it is. The best guess on the frame for level is .40 degrees down so 3.40 for the final angle. The rear needs to be worked on we changed shocks and didn't set ride height.

Both of the ARH headers are in and there is a ton of room on the drivers side, at least an inch away from any tube to the steering box. The collector is within 3/8" of the drivers side floor. The passenger side has plenty of room accept the idler arm was touching at full right lock. I adjusted the stop on the A arm and it's taken care of. The passenger side frame mount needs the upper rear corner trimmed, we will remove 1/2" diagonally. The headers look to have enough room to go back an inch without a problem which would probably take care of the frame mount and idler touching, but make the collector closer to the floor. with the 4l80 it would make the trans even tighter in the tunnel. Moving it forward the idler would prevent it. One thing is the 02 sensors won't fit where they have the bungs on the inside towards the trans on the 4l80 which has a very wide pan on it, but with the narrower T56 should fit. ?

I used a G Force 4l80 cross member and the trans mount needed a spacer. Spaceman made it from 1" square tubing. The only thing is, the cross member is the lowest piece under the car. I can see it being a problem when we hit the road. (figuratively I hope. ).

Here are a few pictures from underneath the car. The headers are even or maybe a little above the bottom of the sub frame.

From above near steering box.

This is deceiving there is 1" from every tube.

This swap has
      S&P swap plates to keep the bellhousing mount surface in the same place
      American Racing Headers 1-7/8" 3" collectors. Very well made.
      Energy suspension motor mounts to fit the 69, 350 SBC frame mounts.
      An AuotKraft oil pan kit.
      A G Force 4l80 cross member. Super Beefy.
      Wayne

My buddy Spaceman and I started the cable hood latch conversion (He did all the welding and a lot of the figuring) and got the top part of the latch in place and are lining the bottom up to find the final location. We'll set and mount it.
      Here's the starting location.

Test fitting the plate

First mark up

First actual test fit.

I tried to clearance the holes on the radiator side to move the plate to the drivers side but it threw off the front piece that bolts to the header panel. Thank god for finish washers. Luckily I stopped before needing them.

Thanks 1967LS2
      Wayne

Wayne been a while since I looked at this thread. WOW!! I love the power combo you are using, I want a 6 speed for mine but we will see. So much has been accomplished on this car. Amazing work and planning. Looking forward to one day seeing video of you driving it. Me, well I need to get back to plugging away at my son's truck. Lol

Chris

Chris
      1967 ElCamino
      2004 Chevy SSR (my sons)
      1951 Chevy pickup(my sons)

1967 Elky https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...587-Evil-Angel

1951 truck https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...3-year-old-son

Thanks, I'm trying. All the little things add up, with a big project sometimes it's tough to imagine.
      Wayne

Country Flag: Canada
      That ought to hold the hood down nice and tight. I really like the quality of your build. Outstanding!

I like the hood latch! Don't go much farther without test-fitting the header/valance panel brace. You might need to do some work there.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Thanks for the heads up John we bolted it in to the core support and header panel. It fit, but we haven't tried the lower panel yet. Right now I have a piece of aluminum fuel line as a spacer. I looked on line for some real spacer with a thicker wall. I'll be ordering that soon.
      Thanks windows.
      Wayne

Amazing to see such a tear down and rebuild. Fantastic project. Keep up the great work.
      68 Camaro SS/RS
      67 C10 stepside
      69 K10 shortbed
      79 Malibu

Thanks 68TT, we're being help up right now but for a good reason. Tomorrow I have a plumber coming to install both the pipe and the heater in the garage. It needs to be tapped in to the existing pipe and my wife is terrified of fire since my mother in law had one in the 70's. So for her piece of mind its getting done by the plumber.
      Plus after moving my parts around the house for 7 years its like a treasure hunt when I need something.
      I use a product for rust removal called Safest Rust Remover it has always done a great job and is safe, unless you move the container for the wife's car to come in for the winter and forget a piece in it over the winter and summer like I did. It ate right through the metal. I think it was the 120 degree days when I didn't go in the garage and open windows. I was amazed. A new one is on its way.
      Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      Hey Wayne,

It's great to see some action on your project! My project has been in hibernation it seems like for 3 years! My wife is going to be able to retire (teacher) in May and FINALLY move to Houston with me. It has been a VERY long 3-1/2 years of driving an 8-hour round trip to Louisiana and back every weekend... Let's try and finish our rides this year... that sound good to you??
      That's great to hear. Hope it all works and you both can hit the road!
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com