Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Autocross

Country Flag: United States

Autocross

Road America Elkhart Lake,Wi. optima Faceoff June 2013.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Cars I've autocrossed . . .

Early to mid 2000's

Mid to late 2000's

More recently

And a little ancient history (1970's) - I did autocross this car but this unofficially timed (and probably incorrect on some level or other) stretch on a Time-Speed-Distance sports car rallye is the closest picture to autocrossing I can find for this one.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

I have just started attending solo events in my area, with everything going on it has taken 3 years to get four events in. The first time was with the cobra the last three have been with the Camaro. The Camaro has Hotchkis suspension with qa1 shocks, ssbc disc brakes front and back, and a rack and pinion steering. The wife and I went autocrossing trice this year in May and she rode along every time. After the first time she wanted her on helmet, know she would like it if she got her on car. We are planning on making three more events this year.Name:  546410_431873380163901_2051017136_n.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  44.6 KBName:  10264779_780597381958164_5017807392126738877_n.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  41.4 KBName:  10336658_787434004607835_3065638685772316866_n.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  47.6 KB

How is this thread not more active? I thought this was a Pro-Touring board?

Few of my daily driver dodging some cones a few weeks back:

Quote Originally Posted by SSninja View Post
      .......How is this thread not more active? I thought this was a Pro-Touring board......
      I think most of the pics / vids end up in the thread of the event they were taken at.

I'm hoping you experienced Auto cross guys/gals can help me out. I just participated in my first Autocross event Cincinnati - (starting line school) and I am hooked! I've been wanting to drive my car the way it should/can for a couple years now and I finally took the plunge last weekend. I'm not sure what class I'd be in though, thats where I need the help. I'm driving a 69 Camaro with a 350 sbc and mild cam, ridetech level two kit, Detroit speed sub frame connectors, 18" wheels/tires, T-56 trans with hydraulic throw out bearing, 4.11 rear end, stock steering gear box and everything else is stock...interior, body, etc. So what should I be in? Someone told me CAM-T. Is that correct? Wanted to check with you guys that know your stuff.

Thanks!
      Brian

Sounds right.

All by itself, that non-stock cam would put you in CP/XP/EM against trailered cars on race slicks if you were to run it in the more traditional SCCA Solo Street/Street Touring/Street Prepared/Prepared/Modified class structure.

Norm
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

Yep, CAM-T it is. How did you like the starting Line School? You learned a lot about weight transfer and grip I suppose?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

The school was great! It was exactly what I needed to learn what Autocross is all about, how to walk the track, what the different cones mean, how to pick the proper line, that spinning tires and sliding the rear end out can be fun and look cool, but it only slows you down.

It also really helped me with proper turning technique during the oval exercise and proper slalom technique. I thought I was going to do the worst in slalom, but it turns out I'm pretty good at that! Unfortunately I was in the last group for the full track in the afternoon and a massive storm rolled through a half hour before my turn so I didn't get to push myself and my car to the max since the track was still pretty wet for most of my turn. The last three runs were not bad though, but I still think I had some left in me.

My best time was a 44.3 and the best of the day from a guy with a corvette running slicks was 35.4 so I think I still did ok based on that and the fact I was working with a wet/semi wet track. Had a REALLY fun time and I plan on hitting at least one event a month! Already have the helmet ordered and I'm getting magnetic numbers now. Good times!!

Hope you're getting an 'SA' rated helmet.

Just in case you decide to try HPDE's out on the big tracks. 'M' rated helmets generally aren't enough there.

Norm

I am getting an M2010 helmet. I don't plan on doing any track days or road courses since my car doesn't have any real safety eat on it....I have three point seat belts, but thats it...no roll bar, fire suppressant system etc, so I wouldn't feel comfortable out there with this car....well that and the wife promised I wouldn't race the car on the road courses or drag strip....she seems to want me around for a while.

If anybody see's a Autocross I Central Florida will you please PM me.. I seem to be out of sync
      Thanks
      BobH

Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
      If anybody see's a Autocross I Central Florida will you please PM me.. I seem to be out of sync
      Thanks
      BobH
      Central Florida region SCCA has several auto-x events regularly. Also, depending on your location, making the trip to run at Brooksville airport with FAST, BMWCCA, or the Corvette club might be viable. Also, don't forget to check out events at the FIRM for open track days, etc.

Also, if you're on facebook, join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424578697756657/

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info
      BobH

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com