Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adult ADHD?

Country Flag: United States

Adult ADHD?

Anyone here suffer from it, what are you taking for it if anything?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I should be taking something. Im IDHD. 2 of my 4 kids take straterra.

I've considered going on meds just to help me get things done at work and at home. I always have 10 projects going at once, and rarely finish anything when I should.

/Hey look a SQUIRREL!
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

What are we talking about again ??

Wanna go ride bikes ??

its worth going to some one about. I thought I was ADD. but turns out sometimes bipolar can be mis diagnosed (sp? ) certian things are different. I take a few meds. my father does too for the same thing. My sister is bipolar as well.
      yea, holidays can be a riot.....

i have a slight case of add, they first stuck me on bipolar meds (most of the people in my family are bipolar) well once they stuck me on the meds i was the meanest kid ever. once they took me off of that, they stuck me on ritalin.

now ritalin made me feel like i wanted to litterally kill or hurt someone really bad, and i hated that. the slightest thing pissed me off.

i will say meds are out of the question for me. dont know how alot of you people feel about them
      Matt

I was at the Doc today & asked about ADD, he had me answer 20 questions or so & said it looked like I have it. I figured. He told me to look at Straterra's (sp?) website. Wondering if it helps those who use it & if you have any side affects.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

PS. That's probably why I can't get anything done!
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Wow. I found this thread again.

Seriously. As a child... it was an experiment with Ritalin. My feelings (and findings from some years ago, when I recieved all of the transcripts/medical records of this time period (1971-1976) back in 1990) was that the med's really had no effect. Their medical opinion was formed long before they coined the term ADD or ADHD years later... as it was a new study, so none the less it was an interesting read. Mainly because I remember everything I was tested for. Sleep disorders, hyperactivity, deprivation testing, I had multiple EEG's, multiple IQ test's... etc, etc. And all of this was observed between the age's of 3-5.

Their finding's were... that quickly I lost interest in things that were not considered an "over-riding challenge", mentally... coupled with an IQ of 174. At the ripe age of 4.

So like many here, I understand when someone says they have 10 things going on at once. I am the same way, with the only difference being.... I'm at that level but, with a multiplier of 10. No meds beyond age 4-5. I figured out that I just needed to keep myself busy with things that peak my interest and are a constant challenge... or I get bored with it... and it then falls to the way side, rarely or never to be delt with again or if it was it was not with the same enthusiasm.

Now, I work in the edge of chaos, of "chaos management"... as it keeps me quite busy.

My buddy at work has selective ADD, I think--well he claims has ADD and can't concentrate on anything at work, but when it comes to talking cars somehow he manages to focus...haha
      1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Chevy Big Block 468, TKO 600 Trans, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, Eaton/Motive 3:73's, 18" Coddington Junkyard Dogs, Nitto NT555 rubber, Autometers http://www.fquick.com/Bandit
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2458763

Used to be not long ago, this and a few others were the 'carpel tunnel' of mental evaluations. In other words if you showed any symptoms of these you were 'labeled' with it and medicated.
      Don't be 100% with the docs '20?s' unless you look into it real good.
      There are alot of other stuff out there and the treatment isn't always the same. The wife just went to another training on Anxiety,and it will look like adhd,add,cod etc. depending on severity.

Doug

ADD is real, there may be a genetic link to depression, bipolar disorder and other mind problems. It wouldn't hurt to check it out with a professional. The upside is that most folks with this disorder are extremely intelligent, we just start to many projects.

ADD is real, but I bet less than 10% of the people that are diagnosed with it truly have it.

"just take these pills for the rest of your life and it will be OK"

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit
      My buddy at work has selective ADD, I think--well he claims has ADD and can't concentrate on anything at work, but when it comes to talking cars somehow he manages to focus...haha
      Funny, I didn't realize we work with the same guy.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

i still take vitamine T
      It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

Ha!

I have too many irons on the fire as well... Maybe I have some form of it? Oh well, playing with the half deck that I was delt...

I havv ADD and I have been treating it for the last year and half. They started me on Straterra which was horrible because it made me sick and all I wanted to do was lay in bead and have mean thoughts.... They usuly try to perscribe Straterra first because it is a non stimulant but most people including myself have great results with Adderall. Adderall is basicly a leagal medicinal form of crystal meth.. it is a mix of anphedimine salts that give you extream focous and loads of extra energy. Alot of college kids abuse it because it will allow them to study for 8 hours at a time with out even batting an eye.. Now in an ADD/ADHD fellow like myself it makes it so that I can keep the same train of thought for more than 30 sec and instead of starting 50 small projects and maby getting 2 done, I am able to organize myself and get everything done with time and energy left over to boot... When you first start taking the drug it make you feel like superman because you go from not fininshing everyting to doing in one day would have taken you 2 weeks to accomplish. Basicly what even you need to do it makes you able to do it and at a level that you were never before able to achieve. Overall it has had a tremendous effect on my life my job performance has gone up and my organizational skill have increased greatly. I used to feel like a prisioner in my own body wanting to do simple tasks but just not able to do them and now I get it done and feel great about myself for doing it...

I've been on Strattera for a little over a year and I absolutely love it. I was on Dexedrine for about 10 years and I got a little concerned about my heart with taking an amphetamine and all. So I dumped it and flew solo for a few years, but I was having all kinds of problems, so I got mack on meds.

Strattera is an amazing drug, I highly recommend it. It does make some people feel kind of sick, sometimes it makes me feel crappy too. But holy ****, my concentration and motivation have gone through the roof!

Actually, people with ADD can concentrate on particular when they really try. Kids with it are often able to zone in on things like video games.

I used to believe all this was a crock. But my (now) 6 ½” year old just couldn’t sit still. We started to really notice it around 3. When he got to 1st grade, where there is a bit more structure and requirements to concentrate, he started having trouble. Academics were surprisingly above par, but he couldn’t sit still or stay in his seat, made noises, especially during times when the teacher was reading to the class and such. Basically when he wasn’t doing something ‘hands on’. We did all sorts of stuff with him, even a daily journal from the teacher about his day (she rules, thank god we got a caring teacher).

Once I started to really pay attention to every little thing he did, I realized he literally couldn’t stand still. Standing in line at McDonalds was torture. You could see him trying, but he couldn’t do it, you could see him straining to stand still, and it upset me a lot. The kid has a running motor in him. He could do anything you asked if it involved moving/doing. But he couldn’t put it in neutral. After months of trying everything but meds, we tried something called focaline. We have been doing the minimum dose and it has been perfect. Holy hat. We often skip the weekends, hoping he won’t build any tolerance and need a higher dosage. I’m also hoping he grows out of most of it – the docs seem to think he will.

Back to adult ADD. He & I are a lot alike. I just never realized it until we sat down with medical professionals and went through all the tests & questionnaires. I totally have it. I had many of the same issues he did when I was young (and some even today). But I guess I learned to cope, somehow. I guess eventually I got old enough to realize I had to ‘deal’. I don’t think a 6 year old understands that concept enough to actually consciously do it. I actually find my morning Red Bull helps me a bunch. I buy it by the case at Sam’s Club.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

When I was a kid I was on ritalin for a while. My parents said it helped, but I don't know why they took me off of it. Recently the subject of ADHD had come up so I took an online test for it & my score showed that I have ADHD. So I asked the doc about it Friday. He told me to go to Stratera's website & if I want to try it he will write a prescription. Maybe it will help me get stuff done around the house. I have too many projects started, & very little finished. Once the challenge is gone, I am not interested in it any more.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I started Stratera today, I told my wife to pay attention & see if there is any difference in the next week or so. Hopefully I won't have any side affects to it.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com