Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What primer to put over Etching Primer?

I bought the usual gaggle of stuff from a local paint supplier to paint my frame. (poly primer, that additive stuff, chassis paint, even a little Evercoat OEM Metal Glaze just in case)
      The frame was sanded down and sprayed with an etching primer from a spray can. I had no need for a gallon of DP90 + gallon of Catalyst.
      I'm reading the Evercoat Slick Sand Polyester Primer surfacer can and it says right on the back in tiny print...."do not apply directly to Etching Primer".

wth?

I can talk to the paint shop about this on Thursday but I don't know how much to trust them now!

What should I do from here? Apply poly primer anyway? Let the etching primer air out for a few days? Use something additional before the poly primer?

69 RS
      LS7, T56 and other cool stuff
      Back on track in late 2020!
      Build Thread

NO, DO NOT spray the PE now. Poly Primer will soften and lift 1K etch primer like stripper. You need to 2K prime it for a barrier coat, then scuff and shot the PE filler, but DO NOT break through any of the 2K. Also, so you know, if you would have used DP90 you could have sprayed right on top of it as it is catalized

the poly primer is basicly sprayable body filler(bondo as most know it) u can go over properly sanded bare metal but not over etch prime , what you should of done was either use a epoxy primer and then the poly or just the poly, as said above now you have to put a 2k primer or epoxy over the etch prime, also keep in mind that you CANNOT paint over polyester primer, it must be reprimed with a 2k primer then sanded and then painted! good luck! isnt body work fun......... (i own a body shop!! lol)

Thanks for the heads up Frank and Jason.

I went to the yahoo's that sold me that stuff and I now have a NASON brand "SelectPrime 421-19 2K Urethane Primer and a 4-1 catalyst for it.

This new guy I talked to said I could apply this over my Etching Primer and paint over this new stuff too.
      It's as if I don't really need this SlickSand poly primer now. Advice?

The paint they had sold me is also NASON brand, 422-05 Chassis Black. I've yet to read the fine print on it. Hopefully it'll go over a urethane 2k primer. :-/

I told them I'd be bringing back the slick sand if I don't need it. lol.

That Nason Primer Will Work Fine, I've Used It Before Its Not Too Bad For A Mid Grade Primer, And Yes You Can Use Your Paint Directly Over It....good Luck!

standox says you can ep pre coat (epoxy primer) over etch, let sit 1 hr then go wet on wet right to polyester, i am sure others you can to and thats what i would do, do not waste the time sanding the urethane primer

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com