Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hillbilly Panhard bar?

Has anybody seen this type of setup before?
      It looks like a very poor design to me but I'm no suspension expert.

[/IMG]

Country Flag: United States

watts this?

Hey Tim, Its a watts linkage set up...did you get that off of Dennis site? project Jacka$$ he he
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

dennis68 Guest
      haha, very funny Vinnie

Hmmmm...let's see: Watts link bracket welded to the SHEETMETAL rear end cover....this doesn't happen to be on a '20s Ford product, does it? For some reason, you see the absolute scariest injuneering on street rods.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR
      Hmmmm...let's see: Watts link bracket welded to the SHEETMETAL rear end cover.....
      Look again... The watts diff bracket is bolted over top of the cover using the three uppper cover bolts. The black paint makes it hard to see bracket under the bolt heads.

I thought the same thing when I first looked at it but decided to look closer since I didnt think anyone would trust anything structural welded to the diff cover. Least I hope there isnt anyone out there who would.
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

dennis68 Guest
      Trying to figure out the point of running a Watts if your going to mount it so high. His RRCH must be like 20" at least.

Yep, that's a Watt's link, but I doubt if Mr. Watt would like his name associated with it. And yes, it does appear to be bolted on with more than one bolt, but golly, I hope this guy doesn't do more than go to the grocery store.

Rear roll center height? Dennis, you are learning so much, great catch. I guess maybe the guy is trying to go for a true anti-roll device, with the RRCH "above" the COG, the body can actually roll "opposite" to the direction that it normally would. Perhaps he is trying to eliminate the need for a rear sta-bar?!

A Watt's link is a great design, but this is a good example of poor execution.

Mark

Watts Link

In a way it reminded me of a Jacobs Ladder ....except different.

Anybody know if a "Watts Link" and a "Jacobs Ladder" is the same thing?

-Tim

Here is a Jacobs ladder...

you can see it behind the axle and it looks like this outside of the car...

Holy towering RC height Batman! The mount`s pretty darn iffy too. However that said, it looks MUCH MUCH better than a lot of the street rod "suspensions" I`ve worked on! We do quite a bit of street rod work in the shop and you guys absolutely would not believe some of the stuff people cobble together. Beyond geometry issues,much of the stuff is just plain thoughtless in design and dangerous. Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus SC&C
      ...However that said, it looks MUCH MUCH better than a lot of the street rod "suspensions" I`ve worked on! We do quite a bit of street rod work in the shop and you guys absolutely would not believe some of the stuff people cobble together. Beyond geometry issues,much of the stuff is just plain thoughtless in design and dangerous. Marcus
      Couldn't agree more. But the thing that really bothers me is most of those guys simply don't care as long as their cars look "cool" or "bitchin" or whatever they want to call them.
      The first step of becoming a better driver is to attend a track event, time yourself, and realize the fact you really suck.

Signed,
      A driver who laps Big Willow at 1:42.6 in a 134hp BMW - and I am still considered mediocre.

You said it! There`s a group within street rodding (and hot rodding for that matter but to a lesser extent) that don`t know how to do things right and plain don`t care. Some actually seem to revell in their own ignorance. :rolleyes5 Marcus

call me stupid if you want

okay now dont laugh but how do you guys get them pic,s in the posts ? i have tried and tried and tried and cant seem to figure it out can you tell me how please ? thank you

pics

The picture has to be hosted on a server somewhere. Then all you have to do is provide a link to it. Hopefully somebody else can describe it better.

Tim described it fine (Must've been one of those "moments of clarity" you hear about! )...it has to be hosted on the internet. Pictures that are only on your computer have to be attached.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Copo,

Tim and Matt are both correct about it needing to be hosted (in some cases). BUT with Vbb it doesn't need to be. Here's the easiest way to post a pic in the forums. Click the post reply button, and type your response as normal. Scroll down to where it says "Manage Attachments". Click that tab and it will open up a new window. Then click browse and find the picture that you would like to post from your hard drive. Then click OK and attach, and it will appear at the bottom of your post in thumbnail form.

IF the picture is already hosted on the net, then simply right click the pic, go to "properties" and copy the URL. Paste that URL in the reply box and put image tags around it. For example {img}ww.yourpic.cm/pic{/img}. However when actually posting the picture, use these brackets [ ] instead of the ones above. The ones above are only shown so that you can see the html.

okay thanks guys like this a peak at my project 540 copo
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com