Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 406 Small Block

406 Small Block

Hello everyone, do you guys think this is a pretty good deal for under $4,500 bucks? Im thinking about building a motor similar to this or getting this one:
      489 hp @ 6300 RPM 468 ft. lbs torque
      Select Hi Tin block 2 bolt main machined 030
      Power Making Featured Parts

• ALL NEW CANFIELD A EAGLE STEEL CRANK 3.75 STROKER crank with superior wear sized and indexed.499.00 SEALED POWER PISTON SETS HYPERUTECTIC 10.2 TO 1 PUMP GAS WITH ALUM HEADS OK
      • Childs & Albert - zz gapdura Moly File Fit Rings...
      • Durabond - cam bearings...
      • GM I-BEAM FORGED RODS
      • ARP - wavelock - rod bolts...
      • Clevite- -bearings tri metal 77 - rod and main... custom hi output cam lifter set ..
      • Cloyes - true roller set..
      • Comp - cams cam locks...
      • comp cams xe chrome moly pushrods
      • Dyna gear race - oil pump...
      • Dyna gear - pickup...
      • ARP - steel drive...
      • After market - oil pan. baffeld 7 qt BAFFLED WITH SPECIAL OIL CONTROL AND TRAP DOORS LOW GROUND CLEARANCE
      • After market - timing cover...
      • pioneer/arp - head bolts...
      • ARP/ - rocker studs 3/8...
      • Fel Pro blue - gasket sets...
      • LUM HEADS 200CC RUNNERS WITH POWER MAKING FEATURES!!. Bowls blended,full ...
      o Features - - -severe duty 2.08/1.60 valves plus ... 1.45 springs 10 degree super locks comp cam parts..good porting..7/16studs guide plates.gasket match p.c seals.chrome moly retainers[with race port work these heads are better than ANY OUT BOX HEADS YOU COULD PUT ON FROM SAME MANUFACTURE
      • hi perfromance roller rockers-1.5 ratio...
      o comp cams or custom series- - cam PLUS MATCHING INTAKES POLISHED
      • Features - 108 center line 568 - 568 lift corrected 1.5 ratio = 568/568 lift. 248/248 dur @ 050 awesome power range . lopey muscle car idle. 80% streetable and will run vacum access with canister this is custom for the engine and is very street feindly for power output
      Total parts 6676.00and labor value 2800 = $9475 average retail cost YOUR LOW PRICE FOR 406 CU IN OF 4495 A 2400 SAVINGS!!!! 1 ONLY AVAILBLE,CAM CAN BE CANGED TO CUSTOMERS SPECS NO CHARGE FOR SAME TYPE OF CAM. SOLD LESS CARB AND DIST

Thanks,
      Zach

68 Camaro - never to be finished
      06 Silverado - Forged 370, L92 Heads, big cam, 4l80e ect. eventual donor for the above
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmB2y7uX38I

It sounds decent...I just put together a rotating assembly for a customer of mine in Sweden which consisted of that very same 4340 Eagle forged 3.75 crank, Eagle H-beam rods, Speed Pro pistons/ring set and Clevite bearings for just over $1580 before shipping. Do you get an actual dyno sheet with the motor if you decide to buy it outright? -Jabin

I am not sure if i get the dyno sheet ill ask, I have talked to a few other people and they said that the power seemed under rated @468 lbs and 489 hp... oh and if i decide to build the motor and not buy this one i would use forged pistons
      68 Camaro - never to be finished
      06 Silverado - Forged 370, L92 Heads, big cam, 4l80e ect. eventual donor for the above
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmB2y7uX38I

I hate hyper explosive pistons. At least get TRWs. I have had zero luck when customers have bought so called dyno motors, only to find they are off by 25% or more. zbut with all that said, even if it is not 100% HP, it still is not a bad price.

I see. It's safe to be conservative, though on numbers if you are trying to sell a motor-that way you don't get burned. The guy I'm working with currently runs a 12.5:1 355 on pump gas (98-octane in Sweden) and he currently runs 11.48@114mph in the 1/4. He's going with a 406 which I'm helping him with and doing the machining for an estimated 550-600hp or so. And he plans to top it off with a 200-shot of NOS. We have hopes of him hitting high 9's and consistent 10.20's-we'll see. Good luck with your build and if you need any help reach me at [email protected] I along with many on this board can help you out! See ya, Jabin

Country Flag: United States
      -What type of cam is it? Solid, Hydraulic, Roller, Hydraulic roller? More than likely not a roller cam for that price. With specs that big, I prefer roller cams.
      -Depending on how you are building the rest of your car, you may be dissapointed with the powerband. (Tall single plane intake, 2.08 intake valves, big cam). If this is a pure street car and the cam is hydraulic or solid, I'd step down a coupla sizes on the cam. And if the engine is not built yet, go with a 2.055" intake valve.
      -And as stated, better to pay a premium for forged pistons. SRP's are about $200 more than those H.E.'s . Plus Forged is a lot easier to say than "Hyper-You-Teck-Tick"
      -It says GM rods. Find out what length they are?
      If you cannot get clear answers from the seller--Pass.

I bought my engine (355) from this builder (Mark Lim) a few years back. I found his engines on Ebay and found that his shop was just about two hours from home. So, I went to visit. I like dealing with someone in person myself...

Shop is just a big concrete-floored steel building out in the country. Lots of old project cars in the tall grass outside and lots of parts and engine stands inside. Mark and I talked for about 45 minutes. I told him what I wanted and he made suggestions. When all was said and done he quoted me a price and said it would take about 3 weeks. Two weeks later I got a call, "engine is ready."

I've had no problems with my engine. Haven't really gotten out to beat on it much yet (too many other things to finish up...), but have blasted it up to 6k without anything coming apart. That little 600cfm Edelbrock carb isn't keeping up much by that point though. ; ) You can read about the engine by clicking the link in my sig.

While I've had good luck, I do know of one other person who bought an engine from Mark and didn't have as good of luck. If you want more info about that you can email me at [email protected]
      John

Quote Originally Posted by gmachinz
      It sounds decent...I just put together a rotating assembly for a customer of mine in Sweden which consisted of that very same 4340 Eagle forged 3.75 crank, Eagle H-beam rods, Speed Pro pistons/ring set and Clevite bearings for just over $1580 before shipping. Do you get an actual dyno sheet with the motor if you decide to buy it outright? -Jabin
      I bought the lightweight Eagle 3.75 4340 crank, eagle h beams, and wiseco pistons, with all clevite bearings and hastings rings off of ebay. All new parts with no defects(magnafluxed and measured everything). Cost was $1082 including shipping. Just need to watch for the deals.
      1965 Buick Skylark

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com