Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best electric water pump for a Big block Chevy.

I know a mechanical pump is better and if I don't get any decent reccomendations I will have to go that route but I have a motor plate which makes it a PITA.

I need to know what the best electric water pump is for keeping a big block cool in regular city traffic driving if indeed there is one. Not just a 5 minute fairground cruise.

Thanks as always.

Country Flag: United States
      I don't know if this one is the best, but I'm pretty sure it's a darn good one. It's for sale if you're interested... $279.95 new, make me an offer.

Here's the description:

CSR Billet Aluminum Electric Water Pumps
      Clear anodized
      Flow Rate @ 12 Volts (gpm): 35-37 GPM
      Hose Adapter Required (Included)
      Overall Depth (in): 6.000 in.
      Amp Draw: 5.80 amps
      Weight: 5.5 lbs.

Generating an incredible 37 gpm of coolant circulation, CSR Performance billet aluminum electric water pumps give you the flow you need, without costing you horsepower. CNC-machined from T-6 aluminum, these lightweight pumps have a direct-drive 12 v motor, spinning a redesigned impeller on a stainless steel shaft. CSR pumps draw just 5.8 amps. Because they don't run off of your crank, they won't eat up race-winning horsepower. Other features include corrosion-resistant anodized finishes in several colors, superior RFI suppression, and a removable center section for cam adjustment or replacement.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

We run a CSR on our 55. It has a 427 with 11:1 and we are running a 16" electric fan and a STOCK 1955 V8 Radiator. It stays below 190 driving around on the street. This is in a tubbed car with a glide and 4.71 gears.

hi,

i have been usuing mezeire pump for a long time,nop so far in city and highway

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2068527

regards
      sami

Country Flag: United States
      Meziere 55 gpm will move a lot more water than that CSR. Meziere also makes (at the time) a 35 gpm or so, but they recommended the 55 gpm for sustained street use with a higher hp setup. I used the remote mounted 55 gpm (which I still have on the shelf) for a Procharged 406 in a Cobra replica. Those are known for heating up anyway, then add the blower............ it never broke 190 even in 100+ temps idling forever. I had to run the remote to clear the custom blower drive I made to fit the car, and I was nervous about running a remote electric. But it was flawless, worked great.

Jody

Jody is right you want the Meziere 55gpm pump for the street but not so much for the flow but rather the preasure it builds in the cooling system. That's what we use if a customer has to use an electric or remote pump regardless of horsepower.

Go with the Meziere 55 gpm. One other thing with the Meziere is that is has better shielding for EFI computers, etc.

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Project "Freebird"

Just bought a blue 55gpm mezaire pump. Will see how it goes when the engine arrives. I only hope it fits with a pro charger. I am using a custom ally rad and a leccy fan.
      Thanks guys.

Is your rad mounted in front or behind the core support?

When ours was behind the tip of the pump touched the rad.

It's in a '57 race car with a tube front. The rad support went about 20 years ago! Thanks for the advice though as I was thinking of doing the same to my stock '55. I will probably put a rad in the L6 position on that anyway just for the extra clearance.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com