Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Restomod
      SO SORRY!! I was correct ,I think you cant do it for $1500 and I think you cant do it for $3000!! I think Monzaracer nailed it,the 396 were not the top of the heap when it came to big HP #'s! Yep I pay Ron....I pay him no mind! He has his hands full with Ford and the use of the word Mustang.
      In fairness, he said $1500 was "half the money needed to buy a used LS1 and trans" not half of what it would cost to buy one AND install it in a car.

If you tried hard enough you could certainly buy and install an LS1/trans combo in your car for under $5k.

Nonetheless, big blocks are just plain cool

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2

Big blocks are cool, and with proper technology make impressive power with unmatched reliability.

A 396 or 402 is a waste. Why cart around the weight of a BBC for the CID that a stroked LS2 can get you?
      Junkyard engines aside, if you are going to build a BBC you are wasting your time and money if you build anything less than a 496.

I have less than 8k in my 540, brand new everything, including AFR CNC heads. It will make at least 500rwhp on 85 octane gas. I don't think the $/hp with operating costs taken into account could be matched by even an LSX. Premium gas usually is octane enhanced with additional ethanol thus has less energy in it. Big CID with lower compression seems like a good plan to me.

In fairness, he said $1500 was "half the money needed to buy a used LS1 and trans" not half of what it would cost to buy one AND install it in a car.

If you tried hard enough you could certainly buy and install an LS1/trans combo in your car for under $5k.

Very true Steve, but I will say that it is really like compairing apples to oranges. And yes Big Blocks (bigger is better!!) are VERY cool!!
      1968 F100 sb full vic chassis swap
      1965 Mustang coupe 347 5 spd cheap touring SOLD
      2003 Porsche 996 Outlaw LS2 swap SOLD
      1992 Lexus SC400 daily SOLD
      1966 Porsche 912 Outlaw SOLD
      1968 Ford F-100 sb SOLD

I remember when you said small block, you implied 302,350 ,351,and sizes that were bored over for big power. Big blocks were 426,427,428,429,440,442,455,501 if you were packin something brutal.

Now a small block is 427 to 440 cu. and a big block is reaching 800 cubes if you want to play.

If you are running old school power like I am it is more than likely run what ya brung and it's too late to turn back now

I like the old school stuff but the new LSX has me drooling, but so does driving my car. So I will go there when It is time. The old school stuff combined with the new is the height of the best it could ever be before it got swallowed up with the competition.

Run what ya brung is on the road and not in your garage!!

I remember when a friend bought a Nova back in the day with a 396- 375HP. I thought it was an animal. Now I have a 410 small block. I like the LSX's - some day.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

I have Less than $5000 into my 512 EFI... including all the EFI stuff... I dont think I could get a stock 5.7L hemi into the engine bay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer
      CraigMBA,

Although Ron Bramlett does own the trademark for "restomod", he has done virutually nothing to protect his trademark and would therefore have a difficult if not impossible position to defend in a trademark infringement court case.

I did not see the article to which you refer. I have known that Ron has held the trademark for years. I am surprised that he has never defended his rights to the trademark given the fact that he has built his Mustang business around the "restomod" theme of modifying Mustangs. I did see an article about the continued use of the term at Barrett Jackson in 2006. He said he was pleased that the term had become mainstream in the old car vocabulary.
      With all due respect, I would have to say that I have never heard this before and this is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, can I trademark my name?!? Man, if Steilow would have only trademarked the term "Pro-Touring" or whoever claims to be the first now! The car company's have people on the payroll that police trademark enfringements, primarily with the use of the name of the model, ie, Camaro or Chevelle, but this, "Restomod", this is very funny to me. By the way, what exactly is a "Restomod"? How can it be a restoration when you modify it?? Just thinking out load! I will sit back and wait for this one to unfold.
      Later - Craig

[email protected]

'70 Chevelle (in storage now, probably will never be back on its wheels again!)

I always thougt of it as this Pro-Touring = GM ,Restomod =Ford , G-Machine = Mopar...........
      1968 F100 sb full vic chassis swap
      1965 Mustang coupe 347 5 spd cheap touring SOLD
      2003 Porsche 996 Outlaw LS2 swap SOLD
      1992 Lexus SC400 daily SOLD
      1966 Porsche 912 Outlaw SOLD
      1968 Ford F-100 sb SOLD

Trademark : any name, symbol, figure, letter, word, or mark adopted and used by a manufacturer or merchant in order to designate his or her goods and to distinguish them from those manufactured or sold by others. A trademark is a proprietary term that is usually registered with the Patent and Trademark Office to assure its exclusive use by its owner.

You can trademark your name if you use it as a name for a product or service. Otherwise, you'd want to copyright it.

I think I'll TM : restored + modified = "Restified" for my current rendering.

Country Flag: Great Britain

66 gto

Guys how much does a LSX cost and how much HP does it produce ?, I take it you can by it in a crate format ?

Has anyone put a LS7 in there car what was the cost ... beleive they now come in crate with almost 500 hp ...
      1966 GTO HELL BEAST PROJECT

Words have been trademarked in the rap industry: "Def" and "Phat," but I also think that a sound has been trademarked by George Lucas for his THX sound systems....a sound! I believe he also sued a rapper for using his trademarked sound and won.

George Lucas has the $$$ to persue legal action against anyone that uses his trademarked sound, on the other hand Im not so sure that the owner of "Restomod" has pockets that deep (an assumption of course).

I'm stuffin a modified LS7 wet sump into my " RESTIFIED" (tm) 69 vert. Got the LME power plant yesterday. ETA May. Byran @ LME guesstimates 615-635hp @ the fly. Not bad for a NA SBC. You can buy a crate LS7 @ SDPC, go to their site for some of the best prices. Go to the Penny Lives thread to hear a top notch LS2 in action. Thanks Steve.

Ok so my 402 with no budget making good torque is a piece of junk.
      BUT if I decide to do anything I am probably going to find a 454 block and use the rtating assembly in it an build a 427.
      I have a buddy who has a set of slightly older AFR BBC heads and i can getthem for a song(like under $500 cause they are "outdated") and probably wouldnt even need to freshen them, but I will.
      I figure either a 402 or 427 with good heads and a used TNT NOS kit and low buck EFI I can make anywhere from 650 to 850 and drive it.
      I have priced LSx engines and if I pay $500 for shipping I can buy one with 40k on it and pay $3000 crated.
      Well sorry I can build my 402 or a 427 for $3500 and add a used NOS system.
      My problem is that anything I want to put the BBC in everyone thinks they need all original COPO price for.
      A fella had a 67 4dr 300 chevelle and it was rough but had a new windshield in it and he was asking $4k for(rediculous) and it had no paint.
      Oh well Ill find something sometime.
      For me I just havent went LSx yet, just not enough avaiul;able in my price range.
      I cant knock those engines but they arent mainstream yet around here.
      Heck I am looking at a 4.0 DOHC Aurora V8 (basicly a small Northstar) to play with.
      I have 2 Monzas and iam thinking of a 283 in the 77 and a Arora in the 75 but time will tell.
      All I am saying is that while the numbers looked "bad" you have to take in the fact that the torque numbers are most likely much bigger and the fact that those parts are making the engine more efficient even they dont give you the extra 100 hp for $50 (not quite realistic).
      But you also need good exhaust and induction for the big bang toy addons like NOS to work more efficienty.
      I know a lot of people think I am nuts using a 283 in my Monza but its free (all I need are 2 more pistons and a set of rings, got everything else to build the short block)and I may even give it a remote turbo setup in the future.
      OH well run what ya brung and hope you brought enough (and neverget caught cheating).
      Lee

Lee, I think your 402 is great. I had a carb iron 383 that ran well that was built on a limited bugg. I was thinking of either bottle or blower to pump it up. But I had an experience with it that pointed me in a different direction with a LSx, and being simple minded I needed to keep it simple. With my project, it was never original but I wanted to pay a little semblance of respect to the heritage of that generation. They did have an optional all aluminum 427. The swap has been quite a learning experience, it sure helps that it has already been done, with details and color pics to boot. Eventually it will get cheaper to do it, it already has from when I first decided to take the plunge. Whatever you do, BB or SB/ FI or not, if you do it well with care and passion, it will always be valued.

My old 2000 SS made 317 rwhp BONE STOCK

Oh, and it got 28 mpg on the freeway.. lol
      My 2000 SS only made 309 rwhp with a K&N filter only, and the best milage I got was 27... I was driving 85 though...
      1969 Camaro..getting closer to being done..I think
      1994 Camaro... Future N.A.S.A racer... maybe
      Victory Circle South West Tour race car (SCCA)
      2006 SS Trailbrazer (Wifes)
      2007 LTZ Chev Silverado 4x4 with the sports suspension package

Greg is my other name...

Web page..
      http://www.youtube.com/user/itlbtu?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer
      Ok so my 402 with no budget making good torque is a piece of junk.
      BUT if I decide to do anything I am probably going to find a 454 block and use the rtating assembly in it an build a 427.
      I have a buddy who has a set of slightly older AFR BBC heads and i can getthem for a song(like under $500 cause they are "outdated") and probably wouldnt even need to freshen them, but I will.
      I figure either a 402 or 427 with good heads and a used TNT NOS kit and low buck EFI I can make anywhere from 650 to 850 and drive it.
      I have priced LSx engines and if I pay $500 for shipping I can buy one with 40k on it and pay $3000 crated.
      Well sorry I can build my 402 or a 427 for $3500 and add a used NOS system.
      My problem is that anything I want to put the BBC in everyone thinks they need all original COPO price for.
      A fella had a 67 4dr 300 chevelle and it was rough but had a new windshield in it and he was asking $4k for(rediculous) and it had no paint.
      Oh well Ill find something sometime.
      For me I just havent went LSx yet, just not enough avaiul;able in my price range.
      I cant knock those engines but they arent mainstream yet around here.
      Heck I am looking at a 4.0 DOHC Aurora V8 (basicly a small Northstar) to play with.
      I have 2 Monzas and iam thinking of a 283 in the 77 and a Arora in the 75 but time will tell.
      All I am saying is that while the numbers looked "bad" you have to take in the fact that the torque numbers are most likely much bigger and the fact that those parts are making the engine more efficient even they dont give you the extra 100 hp for $50 (not quite realistic).
      But you also need good exhaust and induction for the big bang toy addons like NOS to work more efficienty.
      I know a lot of people think I am nuts using a 283 in my Monza but its free (all I need are 2 more pistons and a set of rings, got everything else to build the short block)and I may even give it a remote turbo setup in the future.
      OH well run what ya brung and hope you brought enough (and neverget caught cheating).
      Lee
      I don't think your nuts. A 283 is almost a 302, and we all know what they can do. Besides, a Monza is a pretty light car, isn't it?
      1969 Camaro..getting closer to being done..I think
      1994 Camaro... Future N.A.S.A racer... maybe
      Victory Circle South West Tour race car (SCCA)
      2006 SS Trailbrazer (Wifes)
      2007 LTZ Chev Silverado 4x4 with the sports suspension package

Greg is my other name...

Web page..
      http://www.youtube.com/user/itlbtu?feature=mhee

They both have their place. I like driving my 73 Pontiac TA 455 as much as I like driving my LS7 vette. Two different animals. I do prefer the old school car as I can work on it versus the new car needing the dealership for service.
      1973 TA G Machine
      2000 BMW 540 G Sedan

Wow...we could go back and forth all day. With $$$ you can get any motor to run good. My deciding factor in going with my (original) 396 (with many upgradeds) is....it will always be "cool". In 5-10 years will the LSX motors still be "the thing to do"....maybe, maybe not? Just my 2 cents-

Quote Originally Posted by jdub396
      Wow...we could go back and forth all day. With $$$ you can get any motor to run good. My deciding factor in going with my (original) 396 (with many upgradeds) is....it will always be "cool". In 5-10 years will the LSX motors still be "the thing to do"....maybe, maybe not? Just my 2 cents-
      5-10 years we will have this same talk about how bad the LSX is compared to something new
      "Too bad Dare to Be Different these days could mean Dare to Be Fast. What ever happened to the Cars that Scared people?" John Pearley Huffman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com