Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Pro Comp aluminum BBC heads any good?

I am very new to building chevy engines so i am asking if anyone has used these aluminum heads for a BBC?I can get what seems like a great deal on a bare set ($700)Here are the specs that the dealer gave me...They look to be closed chamber, rectangle port, 115 cc chambers 320cc intake, raised exhaust ports, cut for 2.25 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves, 11/32 valve guides, out of the box they flow 360cfm intake 240 exhaust, I am wanting to build a good street/strip 454 and want to use these heads. Do these seem like good heads or has anyone used them?

I would avoid them. There's been a lot of interest in these because they're so cheap...but there's a reason they're so cheap!

They're a lot lighter than your typical Brodix or Dart, which should tell you about the quality of the metal. I looked at them at a swap meet a few weeks ago and was not impressed.

I've also read that they need a lot of work to be set up correctly, so by the time they get machined, you're close to the price of an Edelbrock or GM Performance parts head.

And finally, I'd call that 360 cfm flow number bs...I know a CNC chamber Brodix Race Rite doesn't flow that much or maybe even some AFR's.

Unfortunately, a good, cheap BBC aluminum head just doesn't exist. Your most affordable, quality choice is probably the Edelbrocks or Canfields...Competition Products has great prices on Canfields, but their raised exhaust port can be a header nightmare depending on your car.

Hope this helps,
      Jason

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by moparguy
      I am very new to building chevy engines so i am asking if anyone has used these aluminum heads for a BBC?I can get what seems like a great deal on a bare set ($700)Here are the specs that the dealer gave me...They look to be closed chamber, rectangle port, 115 cc chambers 320cc intake, raised exhaust ports, cut for 2.25 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves, 11/32 valve guides, out of the box they flow 360cfm intake 240 exhaust, I am wanting to build a good street/strip 454 and want to use these heads. Do these seem like good heads or has anyone used them?
      Chevelles.com is a great place to read up on BBC stuff. It seems the Pro-Comps are from the far-east and are not well regarded.

The AFRs are the top dog in the HP department, but are pricey. Edelbrocks are not bad, Chapman sells CNC versions that cost as much as AFRs (maybe more), flow well but have large to huge ports.

I'd save up for a set of AFRs personally.

Check out the performace forum on Chevelles.com

AFR heads!!! Bite the bullit and you can get a set for (the last I bought )$1790 complete and ready to run.
      You can order AFR as cast, 70% (port work )or 100% for your application.
      I do belive that RHS has some big block Pro Line, or Pro One heads or some such too but not sure.
      RHS or AFR are my choice for street or Race heads. Brodix will never get another dollar from me ever again.
      Last 3 sets had a abysmal valve jobs , the port work was beyond attrocious and well the castings looked like crap.
      Good luck Caveat Emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer
      Brodix will never get another dollar from me ever again.
      Last 3 sets had a abysmal valve jobs , the port work was beyond attrocious and well the castings looked like crap.
      Good luck Caveat Emptor.
      My Brodix Race-rites look pretty good, but then again they are a brand-new product from Brodix. Maybe they corrected some issues with these. I don't know, as this is my first set of aftermarket heads.
      I am not saying anything against AFR's, the numbers don't lie, they flow air and make power better than anyone. I would have gone with AFR's but didn't want to risk major header headaches with the raised exhaust ports. The Brodies should flow plenty for my power level anyway.
      1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Chevy Big Block 468, TKO 600 Trans, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, Eaton/Motive 3:73's, 18" Coddington Junkyard Dogs, Nitto NT555 rubber, Autometers http://www.fquick.com/Bandit
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2458763

I have AFR 305's on the 468 in my El and they sure seem to work but the header fitment issue was a major PITA. I have a brand new set of Brodix Race Rites for the 454 that I'm putting together for the Chevelle. The only reason I went with them is to avoid the header fitment issue. As for their quality, the Brodix' look pretty nice to me. Hopefully they work as good as they look.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com