Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Model car wheels

Most everyone here doesn't know that I have a little side business at home making model car parts out of turned aluminum. I make a wide assortment of parts from aircleaners, engine pulleys, oil filters and complete wheels.
      I was out in the shop this morning running rims for an order and decided to make some one-off rims for a 1/16th scale '56 I am working on.

These are for the front, using tires from a dollar store toy truck. The tire specs work out to a 295/30R-19 in 1/16th scale and the tread pattern is darn close to the rear tires I will be using. I still need to come up with a center design and I am leaning toward a BBS style center. What do you think? Anyone have a suggestion as to what would look good on a '56?

Here is a pic with a 1/25th scale Pro Street tire for comparison.

Once I get the conversion done I want to build two of these cars. One as a straight axle style gasser and the other as a Pro Touring car (what else?). These tires and wheels will be for the PT car of course. The rear tires I will be using are from another kiddie toy and they scale out to a 420/20R-23. I need to order the aluminum for those. It will take some 1 1/2" dia. X .19 wall tubing to make them.
      Thanks for looking.

Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Neat. Custom made wheels for models cars...You could make key Fobs that match a persons wheels.

can you make wheels like on my camaro?

and what type of model cars can your wheels work on?

How much do custom wheels and tires usually go for? I got the big Monogram 1/12 ?? (maybe?) 69 Camaro done up like mine. Just don't have the 17" TTII's wheels to match the rest. Any ideas?
      Also, need more info on the '56 to be able to pic the wheel style.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Hey I've bought stuff from you in the past. I didn't even know you posted on here. What kind of car did the tires come from? I'm working on a 1/16 Ford Ranger and a 1/6 scale Ranger myself.

Hey guys, thanks for the positive response, it's good see you all appreciate the "little" things too.
      I haven't made any key fobs but I have made a few sets of earrings...
      Venomous Type, anything is possible, your wheels are pretty complex but it could be done.
      Shmoov69, cost really depends on complexity. TT-II's would be much easier to replicate then what Venomous is running.
      Hi Brandon, yea, I know you. The truck I bought was actually at Big Lots. It is one of a series that all have the same tires and wheels on them. The fronts are smaller. The truck I bought looks like a customized F150. I can pick a few more up if you are interested. They are five bucks apiece and there would be shipping on that.
      PM me if you are interested.
      Mark
      Mark:

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer
      Hi Brandon, yea, I know you. The truck I bought was actually at Big Lots. It is one of a series that all have the same tires and wheels on them. The fronts are smaller. The truck I bought looks like a customized F150. I can pick a few more up if you are interested. They are five bucks apiece and there would be shipping on that.
      PM me if you are interested.
      Mark
      I'll check my Big Lots today and see what they have and then I'll let you know. Below are some pics of the 1/6 scale Ranger I've just started on. I'm planning on using the Revell 1/6 Ford 427 engine. It has a full interior but no chassis. I plan on making a lot of my own parts by modeling them in Pro E Wildfire and then running them through a rapid prototyping machine. First few pics are of the Ranger with a 1/25 Ranger in front of it for reference. Next few shots are of my wheels I designed (scale out to 18x9 and 20x12) and the turbo I plan to prototype.

Pretty cool stuff yourself there Brandon... very cool.
      Where did you get the 1/6th scale Ranger body?
      The Foose Nitrous wheel is nice also. I want a set of those for my '56... I like the "millertime" logo... Yea, I get it.
      Do you have easy access to a 3D printer? If you do we need to talk.
      Mark
      Mark:

I am building a 56' nomad right now, nothing to the qulity of your build im sure, but i just thought i would share a picture with the wheels siting under the fenders so you can see what the ones i using look like.
      I am just using the ones that came with the kit but there good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer
      Pretty cool stuff yourself there Brandon... very cool.
      Where did you get the 1/6th scale Ranger body?
      The Foose Nitrous wheel is nice also. I want a set of those for my '56... I like the "millertime" logo... Yea, I get it.
      Do you have easy access to a 3D printer? If you do we need to talk.
      Mark
      The body and interior are from an Artin R/C truck. I have access to a 3D printer but I pay for the services but I get a better deal on pricing.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com