Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

18's and 20's on a 72 chevelle?

does anyone know what size this car would take ? i want 18's on the front assuming it would be the same as a camaro , but the rear could take a wider wheel . i was thinking 20x10, any help would be great . i am buying a stock car and lowering it and bolting up wheels , not fender rolling or fab work i want to do ? possibly airride !

any pics would be great !

Quote Originally Posted by datsbad
      does anyone know what size this car would take ? i want 18's on the front assuming it would be the same as a camaro , but the rear could take a wider wheel . i was thinking 20x10, any help would be great . i am buying a stock car and lowering it and bolting up wheels , not fender rolling or fab work i want to do ? possibly airride !
      any pics would be great !
      You can run a pair of 18x8's with 4.5" backspace and 20x10's with 5.5" backspace,easily.

i need a pic of a car to look at . are you sure on backspacing . i want the car down over the tire in the back , no rubbing allowed. also i don t need the max widest wheel . this is for looks only , i dont want to hammer anything or roll lips .

Pics in Chevelle magazine

Jason if you can find a copy of winter 04chevelle special magazine - same as Camaro Performers - there are 2 cars in there with 18s and 20s - a mild custom monochromanic red 72 and a very stock black 71. It depends on what look your after. If you want all wheels and rubber band tires 18x8 with 255/35/18s and 20x10s with 275/35-20s. If you want a little more tire side wall 245 or 255/40-18s front - 295/40-20s rear. If you want lots of tire 245 or 255-45-18s front - 275/45-20s rear. Sorry I don't have a scanner or I would send them to you. Good Luck with your project - Jack

thanks jack , i am going to bolt up my wheels from the blue camaro on monday or tueday to see how they fit it . i will probably use the same in the front , but now sure on the rear ? i will be looking for that magazine for sure!!!!!!!! send me an email if you still have my address.

Quote Originally Posted by datsbad
      i need a pic of a car to look at . are you sure on backspacing . i want the car down over the tire in the back , no rubbing allowed. also i don t need the max widest wheel . this is for looks only , i dont want to hammer anything or roll lips .
      Yes,I am sure about the backspacing figures. If you need more wheel & tire input,spend some time over at Team Chevelle instead of here.(Camaro Central)

thats funny i did some measuring this mornng and came up with 18x8 4.5 and a 20x10 with a 5.25 . i just relized how close i was to your specs. thanks alot

20" rims up front '71 chevelle

I was wondering if anyone here has seen 20" rims on the front of a 1971 Chevelle. I am wanting to put some on, but I have no idea what tire size I would need to clear my steering and fenders. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.

Country Flag: Canada
      72 with 20's. Not the best looking wheels but non-the-less.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/719469/2

-Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Thank you

Thanks for the response, from looking at the photos I don't think the front rim would fit. I have Hotchkis 500 lb lowered springs and wheel well turning clearance will be a problem.

Country Flag: United States
      Here is some more pics, I think I got more at home I'll look when I get there.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Here some of the 70-72 Chevelles I pulled from my collection of pics. I know some sizes on some of the cars so if you see one you like let me know. They range from 17s to 22s. I also have like 3 or 4 Chevelle special issue mags which have quite a few in there if you want me to scan a few I can. Let me know.
      Shane Wagner
      1970 Chevelle "Cholula"
      2010 Camaro "Proven1"

Hi,
      I am new here and I just bought a 71 Chevelle convert. I want to run some big wheels but I also like the car to look good and run some nice springs do you have any pictures of a chevelle with 20's that does not have air bags or do all chevelles with 20's have air bags.
      I drive a 95 impala SS with 20's and I like them allot in handling and in looks. I really don't like the look of 18's and 20's looks funny to me. I use to work in a hot rod shop and I have owned a few roadsters and sleds but I never liked air bags.
      Any input or advise would help me a great deal
      I have a set of billet spec.18's Vintec's but they came off my 92 Chevy truck and I think they have the wrong bolt pattern. it does have two bolt patterns but i have not looked at them but my work with spacers???
      Thanks

I scanned the attached a couple pictures of one Chevelle(white one) with 20s without air bags and one with 20s and 18s (which I like better). I personally think that with this size of wheel you need to lower the car substantially. Also you will need to upgrade the brakes to help stop the additional rotating mass. Not to many performance tires are offered in a 20, thats why I'm probably going to go with 18s or 19s. Hope this helps.

Shane Wagner
      1970 Chevelle "Cholula"
      2010 Camaro "Proven1"

Thanks for the pictures it helps me a bit more. The disk brake part is no biggie there are a lot of kits out there. I think I am leaning more towards the Wilwood set up I have used them on Harleys and hot rods.

I like the look of the white 70 it looks good to me. I want it to handle good so I am sure I will do all of the rear end mods along with A arms in the front.

I don’t need a race car I wouldn't mind one but then I would have to build a different car. I would build another 32 roadster. I wanted more of something that the wife can also drive and that it isn't a new car its also a plus that she loves Chevelles & Camaro's

19s and 22s. back can go down about 3-5 inches more, gotta trim the lip tho.

Quote Originally Posted by slownova
      [IMG]19s and 22s. back can go down about 3-5 inches more, gotta trim the lip tho.
      Just curious but why do you need to trim the lip? Wrong backspacing?

I dont want to steal your thread but could someone post some more pics of 68s and 69s?

The look of that red 68 is just super nice, I'd like mine to be like that when done. (I'll go for black though)
      Are those TT 2's

ciao
      André

No offense intended,Brian,but 18" and 19" front wheels & tires can increase cornering performance. If that's not the case,why do so many ultra high performance cars use them? Vipers and C6 Corvettes use 19" rear wheels,too. 22's might be over the top but I really doubt most of us could tell a huge difference between 19's and 20's,all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1
      Just curious but why do you need to trim the lip? Wrong backspacing?
      no, aftermarket quarters with huge lips on them. its maybe the wrong backspacing but i doubt i could of found anything that would fit without cutting. the price im gonna have to pay for a 22x10 i guess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com