Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      my car isn't the "rule-book" pro-tour car. i have global west upper-lower tubular control arms, B-body spindles, 13.5 wilwood brakes in the front, air-ride shockwaves, and a 1 1/4 sway bar. i mean i guess i could of kept in the QA-1 coil overs i took out for the air-ride but the shockwaves seem nicer then the coil overs as far as handling anyway. im gonna try to see what 19s and 22s will do as far as handling. i mean i guess i coulda bolted some 18s on it and been like everyone else, but hey if someone didn't try to turn the page, we would all still be stuck in pro-street style stuff.

Last edited by TonyL; 02-28-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Country Flag: United States
      (dont come in here to bash someone elses build choice,)
      TonyL
      Last edited by TonyL; 02-28-2005 at 07:54 AM.

im not going to argue with you. im stupid for putting bigger rims on my car, this i know. as far as degrading the car, i don't agree with you. im not really worried about YOUR opinion as far as I like what i have. i feel that your degrading me by talking about my car when all i did was posted a picture when someone asked for it. i have a 68 firebird for pro-touring "theme". why did i spend the money on the suspention? once again it is MY car. MY large rims will do exactly what i want them to, and im sure i can still outhandle most cars on the road. but once again, what do I know becouse im just a degrading part of this site.
      Last edited by TonyL; 02-28-2005 at 07:55 AM.

BAZ67, I am new here but you should do your home work a little better!!

Please read I am courious what you wil say about this one……

CAR & DRIVER
      Porsche Carrera GT
      suspension—unequal-length control arms all around with race-car-style, pushrod-activated coil-overs mounted to the structure—will yield very little to a lowly road undulation, and because the structure will not bend even to the degree that stiff steel or aluminum cars will, all the movement is transferred to your unrestrained body bits. Unlike that of many super sports cars, or even mere sports cars, though, the Carrera GT's ride is not harsh. It doesn't feel nervous or skittish on imperfect roads. And unlike other fat-tired sports cars (the Porsche wears 265/35ZR-19 Michelins up front and 335/30ZR-20s in back), the GT doesn't suffer from bump steer. Truck troughs and crowned roads are beneath its consideration.

KUSTOM_DUDE

OH! by the way I have owned a STREET ROD TOO !! 32 Roadster.. more of a race car than a Camaro.. kinda like a Indy car ... big wheels, No fenders, no top, no AC/heater

Quote Originally Posted by slownova
      no, aftermarket quarters with huge lips on them. its maybe the wrong backspacing but i doubt i could of found anything that would fit without cutting. the price im gonna have to pay for a 22x10 i guess
      I'm guessing the backspacing is inadequate,Slow. However,before I stick my foot in my mouth,what car are you trying to fit 22" wheels on?

BTW,Do you really like the air ride Shockwaves? I'm seriously thinking about pulling off my QA1 & Strange Eng. coilovers for a set of those.

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1
      I'm guessing the backspacing is inadequate,Slow. However,before I stick my foot in my mouth,what car are you trying to fit 22" wheels on?

BTW,Do you really like the air ride Shockwaves? I'm seriously thinking about pulling off my QA1 & Strange Eng. coilovers for a set of those.
      i can vouch for his shockwaves by saying there the heat! i really thought the car would sway alot with the air bags opposed to coil overs but his car doesnt really want to move side to side. because of his car i'm actually considering putting shockwaves on my camaro the adjustability and ride of air bags and the stiffness of coilovers you just cant beat that.

70 chevelle. i could of probually of done it diffrently but not acived the look or the backspacing i really wanted. i guess you could call it "rolling the lip". it just has about a 2 inch lip that needs to get taken care of so i can lower the car without contacting the quarter panel. and yes i really do like the shockwaves. i had to modify the opening in the frame to make them fit but thier a real nice peice. i don't regret ditching the QA-1s at all.

I thought you were referring to a 70 Chevelle but since your handle is SlowNova,I had to ask. To run a 10" wide rear rim on a 68-72 Chevelle/El Camino will require a wheel with at least 5.5" backspacing. I installed 20x10 TT II's w/5.5" BS and 275/35/20 Michelins on the rear of my former 68 El Camino back in 1999. They fit fine w/o any clearance concerns. If needed,I could have used a wheel with 6" backspace. What size 22" tire are you using and how tall is it? A 68-72 GM A-Body can handle a tire of at least 31" diameter.

I thought you were referring to a 70 Chevelle but since your handle is SlowNova,I had to ask. To run a 10" wide rear rim on a 68-72 Chevelle/El Camino will require a wheel with at least 5.5" backspacing. I installed 20x10 TT II's w/5.5" BS and 275/35/20 Michelins on the rear of my former 68 El Camino back in 1999. They fit fine w/o any clearance concerns. If needed,I could have used a wheel with 6" backspace. What size 22" tire are you using and how tall is it? A 68-72 GM A-Body can handle a tire of at least 31" diameter.
      well i used a 5 in backspacing i belive. i'll have to look. now i have to trim a little bit of the lip out becouse of it. no big deal, it will look alot better im my opinion. its a 285/35/22. trust me thier is a 2in lip on these quarters and i would of had to trim/roll them no matter what.

another pic

We put 19's and 20's on the Overhaulin Chevelle:
      Attached Images Attached Images      

I'd still like some pics of '68s and '69s with big wheels, but now I'd like some of Courtney Hansen too.

ciao
      André

Quote Originally Posted by Tigergutt
      I'd still like some pics of '68s and '69s with big wheels, but now I'd like some of Courtney Hansen too.

ciao
      André
      Ask and you shall receive.
      You can thank me later...

Jon
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Jon,

I was wondering what are the tires sizes and back spacing on the Chevelle form the over hauling show.

I am diging the Famosa FL's wouldn’t mind running the same combo on my 71 Chevelle. Do they make knock off's for them?

By the way the pics of Courtney Hansen rock!

Street Rods are '48 and down. Even if you could find a decent street-rod site. They'd think you're crazy for asking about a Chevelle.

You're in the right place.

scheise guys!
      Did you see that nice wooden steering wheel in Jon's pics.... haha
      she is just amazing.

THANKS!
      André

I'm a rookie at this and I have seen pro-touring cars with 20x12 on the rears. My own GTO will have 18x8 up front and 20x10 in the back. It all still fits under the wheel wells. Remember you are up sizing your rim for less tire. It all works out in the end. R.P.
      Last edited by TonyL; 02-28-2005 at 07:52 AM.

knock the fighting off. This is getting stupid. If you dont agree with what a poster is doing, stay out of his thread, Unless your negative input is asked for.

pro-touring.com is pro-touring oriented not pro-touring exclusive
      Last edited by TonyL; 02-28-2005 at 08:14 AM.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com