Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Tire leaking at rim seal - how to fix

one of my cars with old rims & tires that look good but not sure how old, are leaking from the rim seal. can this be repaired? i was going to bring it by a shop. do they just clean the rim up? why would this happen?

it's doing this at only one spot of the wheel, not everywhere, and the other 3 are fine.

thx.

I had this problem before and took it to the tire shop.All they did was wire brush the rim where it seals.

Should be fine if you do this.

You didnt say if the rim was steel or aluminum.Im assuming you have a steel wheel.
      -Ed Nelson

1967 Firebird.......
      1970 Corvette. -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hidro
      I had this problem before and took it to the tire shop.All they did was wire brush the rim where it seals.

You didnt say if the rim was steel or aluminum.Im assuming you have a steel wheel.
      yip, steel. thanks for the reply. good news.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Hidro

This is true assuming there are no bends in the lip. They may even use a little bead sealer to help the situation.

i got all fixed up last night. didn't ask them how they did it, just paid them $14. it's a super old wheel so it prob just had to have the surface cleaned up at the bead.

thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      For future reference: I used to run into this quite often when people brought in old rims and old tires. To fix it, I cleaned the rim then smeared the tire with a bit of grease. The grease softens the tire and helps it seal.

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"
      www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com