Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To Acid Dip & E-Coat or not to? That is the question!

The Mule was dipped and e-coated. Should I? I have heard a mixed bag about it. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences.

I am going to be starting to strip down my car and wanted to know what i should do.

I have done media blasting before, but that stuff gets everywhere. I want something that is clean, and going to be the best long term solution.

I like that the fact that dipping and e-coating gets in every nook and cranny. I have heard that can be bad too though...

Thoughts?

do you know if it is available in your area, you may have to trailer you car a long ways to get it done. cars from the factory are always e-coated, so i don't think that it would be a bad idea at all. being able so seal all the places you could never get to with a paint gun is great, no chance of rust. some people say that when you acid dip parts the acids get in some places and it can't be washed out and it will eat away at the metal. but i think if the place you are going to know what they are doing they will be able to neutralize all the acid. good luck with what ever you decide.

Had my subframe dipped and ecoated by carponets and I would highly suggest it!! Add up the cost of blasting inside and out then cost of epoxy prime and your at the same if not more.And it still wont be as good as a full on dip. Make the trip to Detroit and youll be happy.
      Chris
      1971 RS Z28 Pro-touring thing......will it ever be done??

Country Flag: Canada
      Does anybody know of a company that can E-coat parts here in Ontario, Canada? The trip to Detroit isn't so bad, it's the hassles and BS of taking something over the border and then bringing it back.
      Ken

If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Carponents

Not sure but I heard carponents went out of business. I'm sure Kyle would know. I had him take my car over to get dipped and e-coated and I love it. My body man loved it too.

It truely is like having a new car. Plus you don't have the sand or what ever you use in every nook and cranie.

How much does something like this cost? about 5 grand or so?
      -David

I'd like to know the same... how much, and is there a place in Vegas/SoCal that can do it?
      Doug
      67 Camaro - Project: Retribution

"Honda: The most efficient means of converting gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower."

cost

I just looked at my invoice and it was 1800. I thought there web site was ekoatking.com (Spelled wrong). But the link looks dead.

There is a company in Vancouver BC that does it. It isn't called e-coating but it is an electrostatically charged phosphate coating process exactly like e-coating. They have done several cars before. My conern is that i have heard people saying that the acid is impossible to neutralize completely in all areas. This company does an Acid dip, a neutalizer dip, a pressure wash, and then a electrostatic coat dip.

Here is the website: http://www.redi-strip.com/page2.htm

Also i heard that the e-coat gets everywhere and goops up in small area's etc.

What about the roof? i know the mule had small holes drilled in it... does anyone know the proper process for that?

I'm with flyboy. if anyone knows of a place. I'm in the bay area, but would travel about 600 miles tops.
      -David

Nutsy questions

I was under the impression that my e-coat was electrostatically applied. I did not have any spots where it gooped up. It was clean as a whistle.

will the e-coat get into places like the inner rockers? Mine are not rotted, but i'm sure there is surface rust from the years. I want something to take all that ooff then something to seal it so it wont happen again
      -David

Quote Originally Posted by F70t/a
      will the e-coat get into places like the inner rockers? Mine are not rotted, but i'm sure there is surface rust from the years. I want something to take all that ooff then something to seal it so it wont happen again
      It should. They put the entire car on a rack and dunk it in to the tank(s). So unless it's sealed off from the outside environment, it's going to get the same treatment as the rest of the car.
      Doug

"Honda: The most efficient means of converting gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower."

that would be cool.Now just gotta find a place hopefully not too far. Maybe we can do a group thing and get a deal j/k
      -David

that would be cool.Now just gotta find a place hopefully not too far. Maybe we can do a group thing and get a deal j/k
      Haha, yeah, i'm sure they'd go for that.

It's funny that it costs so much to get done, considering how very little effort actually goes in to the process itself. `Bout the most labor intensive thing that occurs is getting the car on the rack.
      Doug

A group thing, what an awsome idea!

But mine probably won't be ready till late next year.

Man thats going to be a haul frome Fl. Gan you say ROADTRIP.

Roger

Ya i know, tell me about it. Really I just want to find a place that does great work. I dont want a sloppy job done and then still have acid in the car.

Ya mine wont be until at least summer of 05. Maybe if we can find a place, maybe just maybe cut us a deal? time will tell
      -David

Ya mine wont be until at least summer of 05. Maybe if we can find a place, maybe just maybe cut us a deal? time will tell
      That would be just about right for me as well, as I will be returning from Pakistan at the end of May/early June and will have some $$ to play with. I would just be looking to do my subframe though, not the whole car.
      Doug

Maybe we can get a deal from a place or something. it might work.
      -David

Country Flag: United States
      the cost most likely has to do with the chemicals themselves, imagine going to the "better business bureau" or whatever in the area and telling them you want a vat of acid big enough to dip cars in. the permits to run it have got to be pretty costly. im still looking into it for my own car. any leads in the indiana/illinois area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com