Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Xx-007-xX Guest

Temporary Paint booth ideas

Hey folks I'm trying to decide if I should paint my own car by myself(it looks like fun, and challenging) and I am leaning towards doing it myself.

I sure would love to see some good ideas on how to construct a temporary paint booth inside an existing garage (stand alone designs are welcome too, heck,I have 14 acres on which to build one on) Please include designs of filtration and fan set ups, or evacuation of vapor set ups...........thanks 007

I do have some decent fans and I have a 20' x 30' garage/workshop(I can make the booth ten feet tall if need be) totally dedicated just for my Camaro. I have the freedom to configure it any way that I need.

I also have plenty of thick construction grade plastic sheeting, and I think I am going to make the frame out of PVC pipe(it does'nt tear the plastic and it is easy to dissassemble and use another day.

I also have some sunscreening, should I just make the ceiling of the booth out of that and the rest of the enclosure out of plastic sheeting, thus making my ceiling the air intake? or should the intake be placed on the opposite end from the exhaust? I would love to filter it also(gotta keep the environment in mind, why give folks more reasons to ban our classics?) so some good filtering ideas would be appreciated.

I have the time to do it the right way the first time.

also whats the best thing to use for drying my compressed air for the gun (keep in mind low cost)

Thanks ...............007
      PS- pictures would be greatly appreciated, keep in mind I live near Athens Georgia and we have all the season around here

Here is a pic of my garage

Country Flag: United States
      poke around www.camaros.net and www.chevytalk.com. IIRC, both had some good information if you do a little searching.
      Brian

I have an unlimited budget. That bad part is I have already used it up.

that carport area would work nice, and make it easy to set up, Only thing that comes to mind with that is weather, COLD/Hot, Humid/ DRy, but then again your in GA and its prob always humid and hot. AS for painting, all you need is a clean room (no dust, bugs, and a filtration system. You could just setup a platform with a paintbooth filter and a good fan, one sucking in, and one blowing out. PLastic will work but on a hot day, it'll be really hot in there, haha! Do a google search for home made paint booth and u should get some pretty good Ideas. Good Luck
      72 Chevelle Done!

67' Hell Camino- Under the knife

Some day: Porsche GT3/ C6R inspired 69

pant booth

my buddy painted his car in a car size tent he bought at harbor freight or nothern for about 200 bucks. it worked good, just put fans at either end, one in and one out, pretty redneck, but worked great!!!

Done this a few time myself .

FIRST OFF - DO NOT use the screening as a Roof / AIR INTAKE !!!
      If your pulling air from the top that leads to pulling DUST or Debris STRAIGHT DOWN ---You dont want that for sure.
      SOLID PLASTIC ACROSS THE TOP!

You can construct a PVC frame easily and cover with plastic like your thinking with a 2 foot overlap at the front or side for easy entry and at the end by the back or front of the car , set up 2 24" fans ( ONE ON EACH SIDE and cardboad or plywood between them.
      This will pull the air out down low and equally from side to side.

TO allow air , use 2 or 3 furnace filters or actually go buy some filters for a paint boot ( sometimes they have a sticky residue like a tack rag that will help keep the dust down)
      and set them up in the opposite end from the fans.

Lighting is a bit harder to set up in a plastic booth..

if you have a number of stands with the dual halogens on it you can put one at each corner but you have to becarefull the they dont catch the plastic on fire. But you need good lighting .

Dont know if that helps but its some pointers for free!

Good luck
      The Voices in my head tell me i need more cars

You could by some cheap, flourescent shop lights to put on the floor so they shine up to light the rocker panels, gravel pan, and front lower valence. You can't have too much light in a shop, but that particularly applies to paint booths.

I agree, do a lot of searching. Included nastyz28, hotrodders.com and autobody101.com

I have seen guys rig flourescent fixtures to sit on the floor. Plexi over the bubs, some kind of feet to hold them. You might be able to rig then into the side of the temp booth. Halogens are too freaking hot.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by marty69212
      just put fans at either end, one in and one out, pretty redneck, but worked great!!!
      Careful with that advise. if you live in a dust bowl, you dont want fans blowing air in if it creates the possiblity of getting crap in the paint job.

EDIT: 63SW has some good advice on air travel up there.

Have you tried booth rentals? Some places will just rent you a booth to spray in.

Something else i remembered from one of my quickie paint booths...

MENARDS , Home Depo , so on , carries a BIG ZIPPER for thing like this ( SOUNDS GOOFY BUT IT SERVES A PURPOSE and WORKS GREAT.

it is actuall made for use with plastic seeting and you can buy it in 8 or 10 ft lenghts.

Once you have you plastic up , you unroll the zipper out of the box , You place it on the plastic and peel the backing off the tape and press it to the plastic - ITS INDUSTRIAL STRENGHT TAPE and Sticks VERY WELL to the plastic.

Once you do that , You unzip the zipper , take a razor blad and slice the plastic .
      Making a very nice entry way!

Its usaull back where they sell the rolled sheet plastic.

Just move enough air to clear out the fog between coats. The more air you move, the more chance for dirt and trash.

Quote Originally Posted by 69keith
      Just move enough air to clear out the fog between coats. The more air you move, the more chance for dirt and trash.
      Agreed...too much air flow is worse as far as debri than too little air flow.

To help cut down on the bugs, dust, heat, etc get the car ready to shoot the day before and then early the next morning while the dew is still on wipe it down with a tack rag as well as wax and grease remover then shoot away. Bugs arent out in force early in the morning there is minimal activity by other things to stir up dust/debri and the sun still has a few hours before it turns the booth into a steam room.

Use regular home HVAC filters you can get from lowes/home depot. Just spray them lightly with some type of adhesive like the stuff they sell in spray cans that ppl use for re-glueing head liners. This helps trap the air born debri. Works like a charm.

PVC will work great for a frame and as you mentioned heavy plastic works fine as long as you attach it (duct tape is your friend) so it doesnt flap around and stir up more debri.

Ive painted a hand full of cars on my own like this and while its a little work the paint jobs turned out every where from a pretty nice 10' job to down right stunning piece of work (IMO).
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

Paint booth.

A friend of mine constructed one out of 1/2" electrical conduit for the track on top by the ceiling. He then bought a couple heavy 6ml plastic sheets and had his wife sew eyelets along the top like a shower curtian, used shower curtain loops too. and then bought cheap swingset chain and had her sew it into the bottom of the curtian for weight. Then made a wooden door frame and put filters the full lenght of the center of the door. It worked really slick! Then when he's done, he takes it down for full use of his 2 car garage.

I made mine in a two car garage. I put up a temporary wall to divide the garage, and covered it in super thik plastic I bought at Home Depot. I used the rafters as my intake ducts, drawing the air from the non-painting side of the garage. I set up a three sided duct on the floor, under the car, that pulled the air off of the floor using an old furnace fan to pull the air through.

DUCTDUCTDUCTDUCT
      D D
      FLOORFLOORFLOORFLOORFLOORFLOORFLOOR

The duct had about a 1/2" gap at the floor.

In the ceiling, I used those very nice/expensive heppa furnace filters as my intake filters. While this set-up moved a lot of air, you could not feel the air movement in the "booth." I have a very nice Sharpe air filtration/water/oil seperator in my air line when I spray, and I shot my car with a Sata Jet HVLP. There was almost no paint spray cloud in the booth, and after only a few moments you could actually remove your respirator and not smell the paint you just sprayed.

Air movement is very important! Not only for your protection (isocynites absorb through your skin too) but to make the paint cure. Modern urethanes require air movement to dry properly.

I've painted 5 cars with this set-up with no real dust problems, and no complaints from my neighbors.

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"
      www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Gotta love those SATA"S huh Bill .

theres a number of ways to get the job done , whether you do it yourself at home , Rent a booth at a shop , or just pay to have it done...
      DOING IT YOURSELF is certinly more satisfying .

Your probably going to get some dust or defect in it at home no matter how much care you take but with wet sanding and buffing , it can look as good as ANY professional job.

as long as you dont have any serious hangers on it.. ( RUNS)

My first paint job - YEARS AGO - was at a shop and i had never painted before ...
      when i came out of the booth , the manager asked how it looked...
      I said fine except for the run i got....
      He asked how many runs i had ... I told him only 1 ( WHICH IT WAS - BUT IT WAS FROM THE FRONT BUMPER TO THE REAR BUMPER )

needless to say he wasnt happy!

Just remember that the plastic enclosure will act like a "greenhouse" and temp will be hard to control. This isnt a problem if you have slow enough reducers.Take into account that most flash and 2nd or 3rd coats are based on 70deg and 50% hum so the farther away you get from those mumbers you need to adjust accordingly.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com