Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Carbon Fiber parts - how to work with them

I am new to this forum, I have a question for the fabricators and builders. I was thinking of getting a front clip including the hood made out of carbon fiber for my 69 Camaro Road Racer Project. The manufacturer said he could also make inner fenders but I do not want that kind of a look. I think that metal would help as I plan on making the entire front clip lift off like pro stock drag cars. I have only done work with metal and need some help in understanding how to work with carbon fiber. Carbon fiber doors are also available. My dash board is already fiberglass as well as the inner door panels. My whole object is to save weight as much as possible without sacrificing safety. I plan on a full frame, race car style roll cage. This project is still in the planning stages as I want all the parts sorted out before building it. Already have my engine and trans from a previous project - 358 all aluminium sbc, Kinsler EFI, basically a destroked 410 sprint car motor with lower comp ratio for the street, 700 hp, 550 lbs torque, power band 4500 -9000 rpm. Any body have experience with 4L80E trans, would it handle this kind of power? On paper these gear ratios would be best for what I plan on using thie car for: 1st - 2.48 - 2nd - 1.48 - 3rd - 1.00 - 4th - .75. Final drive ratio 4.10. This would be 75 mph in 1st, 124 mph in 2nd shifting at 9000. Feed back welcome.

You could also just buy the front clip from Anvil, all of their pieces fit very well and they have everything you would need.

Could you tell me more about the Carbon doors? Who is the manufacturer? Thanks

Casey

I will have to check my project book that is at the shop, once I have the contact info I will send it to you. I do know that you can use power windows as that is what I am doing. If I remember right there were only 2 manufacturers doing doors.

Quote Originally Posted by sbcbuilder View Post
      Casey

I will have to check my project book that is at the shop, once I have the contact info I will send it to you. I do know that you can use power windows as that is what I am doing. If I remember right there were only 2 manufacturers doing doors.
      Thanks! that would be great.

Casey

Here is one link:

http://gtsfiberglass.com/1969-camaro-body/

$1550 for a front clip and $800 for doors

reply from ultra-carbon.com

Doors are $2400/pair and can be done within the next six weeks. The trunk lids are $700 and can be done in the next four weeks.The weight of carbon fiber versus fiberglass is very subjective. It usually ranges from 1/2 the weight to 1/4 of the weight.

Not sure of why the big price difference, hard to tell just with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by sbcbuilder View Post
      Casey

Here is one link:

http://gtsfiberglass.com/1969-camaro-body/

$1550 for a front clip and $800 for doors

reply from ultra-carbon.com

Doors are $2400/pair and can be done within the next six weeks. The trunk lids are $700 and can be done in the next four weeks.The weight of carbon fiber versus fiberglass is very subjective. It usually ranges from 1/2 the weight to 1/4 of the weight.

Not sure of why the big price difference, hard to tell just with pictures.
      Thanks for the link, I figured the doors would be around that price. Carbon parts are crazy expensive for sure.

There is also a complete body in carbon fiber as well, it said to call for price so that means ultra high!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com