Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

68 camaro convertible suspension- need help

i have a 68 camaro convertible and i will be ordering several new parts and i will be needing a little help with the suspension for a pro touring stance.

the car right now feels like its floating and the rear leafs are sagging one side lower then the other by over an inch. the car has been sitting for what feels like an eternity but i am trying very very hard to get it on the road within the next few weeks.

i already replaced the body bushings and transmission mount when i install the new 700r4 to energy suspension polys.

the parts i plan on getting will be:
      summit racing brand 1 1/8th front sway bar
      energy suspension sway bar end links
      addco 7/8 rear sway bar
      energy suspension control arm bushings
      energy suspension motor mounts
      summit racing brand 2" lowering leaf springs
      qa1 single adjustable front coilovers

my questions:
      its a 68 convertible with a 400 sbc with aluminum heads and a vortech supercharger, power steering and no A/C, what size spring should i use with the qa1 coilovers? they come in 250, 350, 450, or 550 springs.

for the rear sway bar, i plan on getting a four link in the Fall season and was wondering if i will be wasting my money if i buy this now? will i still be able to use it with the four link suspension or something similiar to the four link (i'm still undecided what direction i want to go on this). with that said, i am definitely getting the leafs now since they are sagging so badly and i cant put money towards the four link until the car is at least on the road so i can make sure everything else is working properly.

im am completely open to any suggestions, such as parts i should also add or parts i dont need etc, as i hate wasting money by buying things twice.

long term plans: four link, subframe connectors.

if i hit the lottery long term plans: full frame or new subframe and 1 piece rear frame (integrated subrframe connectors)

thanks in advance, geno

Country Flag: Sweden
      Check the leaf springs. I had the same problem until somer years later I realized a leaf spring (mono) was broken at the front eye, very hard to see.

What to do is depending on how much money you are willing to spend on the ride.

I'd start by calling SC&C and get their Stage 2 Plus kit. You should replace your control arm bushings/balljoints/tierod ends anyway, and Marcus' kit will not only renew those items but add the necessary caster and fix the negative camber gain issue. Definitely a great system for the budget-minded. Don't forget to replace the lower control arm bushings with delrin.

Forget the rear swaybar, most setups don't need it.

Coilovers are not really a necessary expense unless you're really going to use the adjustability for weight jacking. You could go with some 2" drop springs and then try regular QA1 adjustable shocks.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I could sell you a Hotchkis TVS kit for less then all that off brand stuff will cost you. Summit is a fantasitc company to buy brand name parts from, we often refer customers to them when we simply cannot compete on price. But they are WAY down my list of suspension companies!

And as 68 Formula mentioned, you could pass on the rear sway bar. Most people like leaf spring cars better without a rear sway bar, which would save you some coin deleting it from the TVS kit also.

And FYI, if you looking to lower the car more then 1 1/2" in front, forget the coil over conversion. They are designed for a maximum 1 1/2" from stock drop. We are QA1 distributors and can sell them to you for less then Summit. But believe me you would be better with Hotchkis.

Also, I saw nothing mentioned about subframe connectors. Nothing will make a bigger improvment in a convertible especially then frame connectors. Hotchkis has the very best UNDER FLOOR frame connectors you can buy.

Anyway, with our 20% off sale the stuff get real affordable.

Here is a link to the Hotchkis first gen Camaro page

http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?...mitForm=Search

listen to frank......he talked me into the tvs sytem and now my 67 vert drives like a new car. i think the biggest improvement was the frame connectors, reaaallly tightened up the car. i too thought one leaf was sagging cause one side seemed to bottom out more with the new install one side is still lower. must be bad install on 1/4's years ago before i bought it. trust franks thoughts

before i begin, i just want to say thanks to those that wrote back.

ok so this weekend i had some free time and ended up researching the rear end suspensions i was interested in. i narrowed it down to the watts link 3 link and the truckarm kits. basically neither one of these needs a rear sway bar so thats out. also found out the summit sway bar is supposed to comes with end links, so the end links might be out.

rear leafs definately need to be replaced. the passenger side leaf has a curve in from where the lakewood style traction bars are pressing against them. the summit leafs are temporary summer driving springs, so i can dial in the charged motor and substitute until later this winter when ill be installing the watts or truckarms.

subframe connectors are not going in until i get the serious rear suspension. do it all at once during this coming fall/winter.

control arm bushings- not trying to fully rebuild them as i will be getting tubular arms in late summer. if i sell my atv (getting to old to be riding, my old man back is giving out on me, lol), i just might get a full subframe package.

frank at prodigy, if you could get me the hotchkis front sway bar for a better price then the summit sway bar for $140 then ill take them, without even thinking twice about it.if you can get me the hotchkis springs for $97 dollars like the summit springs ill take them too.

the coilover is basically the only part i actually plan on keeping on the car. is there a better coilover out there that has a broader range? and why in the hell does qa1 advertise 0-3" if its useless beyond 1 1/2"? i hate when companies do that. ideally i want a full coilovers at all four corners. i had coilovers on several of my imports and they drove exactly like i wanted them to high or low with adjustable comp/rebound. its my first time putting them on a domestic. qa1 seemed to be the popular choice, but its seems none of the pros like them.... (not just from this thread, but ive been reading a lot since my initial post on multiple forums) i dont know who to believe anymore.

frank, how low do you have that black and red 67 camaro with the five star 19" wheels from stock height? its a good looking stance. i realize that car is as custom as it gets, but i just want know the distance.

That is a 5" drop on the Black and Red car done with a custom chassis.

No, cannot match the Summit price springs, but there sway bar is most likely a solid bar, not a hollow bar. And I would not trust their springs.

Go to Hotchkis website and take 20% off.

whats the difference between a solid and a hollow sway bar? i searched, didnt find much.

whats the difference between a solid and a hollow sway bar? i searched, didnt find much.

The difference is weight. There is little twisting resistence to the inside of a round bar (based on 25 year old engineering class...)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com