Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      LOL that would be it,Why dont you guys jump on that??

Quote Originally Posted by nowukno
      Hey check this out, Im still going to wait for Marcus's stuff to come out though.This bar can be used on the street too..
      http://www.spottsperformance.com/suspension
      thats the H&R swaybar the pics are right from their site and the information is word for word from the site.

Quote Originally Posted by GBodyGMachine
      I have always wondered about the rear sway bar.

DID I HEAR SOMETHING ABOUT A 3-LINK. I would buy that in a second.
      Jeff
      There was some talk about Marcus working on something a while back, hes a busy man I'm sure if hes working on it it will come out eventuially.

Quote Originally Posted by nowukno
      LOL that would be it,Why dont you guys jump on that??
      From what I have herd while it may be an improvment over a stock setup, it isnt all that spectacular of a design, something about the design of the torque arm if i remember right.

I could see alot of power being a problem for that setup
      JEFF SHORTT
      -IDEAL STEEL

Country Flag: United States
      That rear bar from Paul Spotts is the same overall design. Paul`s about 45mins. from us,nice guy. Note the emphasis on drag racing again though. The rate of that bar is only slightly less than the solid Spohn drag bar. Okay to drive on the street on a drag car with big n little and 90/10s because you can`t go around corners fast with it anyway. Still too much rate for a car that corners though (unless you have a 2" dia. front bar to go with it).
      The 3 link isn`t too much of a secret,we`ve been testing and tweaking it in our G-5 Cutlass for the last 3 years. We`re making some real progress in getting it production ready now though. The secrets are in the details. Mark SC&C
      Last edited by Marcus SC&C; 10-16-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbodyolds
      From what I have herd while it may be an improvment over a stock setup, it isnt all that spectacular of a design, something about the design of the torque arm if i remember right.
      Being pin connected to the chassis and bolted to the pumpkin to prevent pinion angle rotation all by itself is its biggest disadvantage for anything other than the dragstrip. Bushing compliance is necessary for this arrangement to work without substantial binding, and the bolts through the chassis side bushings for it and the two lowers should be collinear (or closely so) for the same reason.

It's a rather unique setup that falls somewhere between the third link in a 3-link and a torque arm without really being either. Actually, "traction arm" may be the best description.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

Quick update,I just got confirmation today that the dies are being made for the road race type rear swaybars. That takes about 6-8 weeks so you can expect it to be available right around the new year. Mark SC&C

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus SC&C
      Quick update,I just got confirmation today that the dies are being made for the road race type rear swaybars. That takes about 6-8 weeks so you can expect it to be available right around the new year. Mark SC&C
      can we get a ballpark idea on what the price will be??

Quote Originally Posted by Gbodyolds
      can we get a ballpark idea on what the price will be??
      Yeah!! What he said

Yep,same as the Pro-Series drag bar $395. Mark SC&C

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus SC&C
      Yep,same as the Pro-Series drag bar $395. Mark SC&C
      Works for me take my order now buddy!!!!

geez...something else to buy from you all!!!!

Put me on the list. Just let me know when. Andy

Ill take one !!! let us know when you start taking orders...

Anyone wanna buy a lightly used ATR swaybar ???

Mark,
      First, sorry I have not called you yet.
      Second, could I get the quick explaination why this bar is better, i know it mounts to the rear spring pockets off the frame. What if I dont Have those, I run coilovers.
      Jeff
      JEFF SHORTT
      -IDEAL STEEL

I just seen the new Hotchkis swaybar on the opening page of PT.com, looks interesting and has a slightly different mounting design than most swaybars like it. I called Hotchkis for some details the guy said the only info he has on it is 1 1/4" hollow and the G body version wont be out till next year, not a bad price either but looks like it might hang a little low considering the way the endlinks hang down off the trailing arms this problem would probably be even worse if someone is using LCA relocation brackets. Ill still be waiting for Marcus, I was never impressed with anything I ever bought from Hotchkis I always felt like I was buying a name and not a well thought out and designed part.

woops double post!

The end links actually bolt to the crossmember where the upper arms mount so it won`t matter if you have coilovers. There are 2 main reasons why it`s better than a factory style bar. The first is that the rate of a 7/8" dia. factory bar when sitting on the workbench is about 247lbs/in. but when you bolt in onto the 19.5" long lower control arms the rate drops to a really lame 47lbs/in due to all the extra leverage! That`s why there are companies making HUGE rear bars for G bodys. Fact is it takes a bar of well over 1.30" dia. to get the same rate the factory rear bar is supposed to be. But that leads to a problem with the 2nd reason,binding. When the rear axle articulates the arms need to be able to twist to maintain free movement. That`s why hard bushings and solid box tubing arms often cause problems. Now what happens when you bolt a swaybar to the lower arms? In order to twist now they have to bend the bar. The thicker the bar the more resistant to bending and the more the lower arms remain fixed. In extreme cases I`ve seen several bars that broke where they bolt on the arms,it takes a LOT of binding forces to do that! Makes for an exciting ride when they break too! The ProTouring bar is just designed the way it`s supposed to be,like any modern performance car. We worked closely with Spohn to tailor it to the G chassis and it`s needs. BTW A body will be along soon also.
      Just saw the post about the Hotchkis rear bar. If you read the rest of this post you`ll already see where they dropped the ball and why it has to be so huge...did I say that out loud? Mark SC&C
      Last edited by Marcus SC&C; 10-25-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GBodyGMachine
      ---------------------------
      Disclaimers first here. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dennis Kirban who sells that GNX suspension package, his son who is one of the installers in the upper East Coast region, Jack Cotton's whose facility has installed several of the GNX suspensions, or Mr. Richard Clark, who I believe currently builds the set-up, and who, I believe might have designed it originally, but I have had opportunity to ride in several turbo Buicks with the GNX rear suspension, both real GNX's & a couple of non-GNX turbo Buicks converted over, and I think that what we have today is superior in price, function, & weight savings. You need to rent the welding jig for the installation, have all of the recommended suspension up-dates, (GNX bushings, replacing of the missing body bushings, (#'s 3 & 4 lower as a minimum), Stiff springs, good rear lower control arms like GW-spherical & Del-a-Lum, & a custom exhaust as the standard turbo Buick exhaust won't work, and as much as ATR made and sold one, ATR being history. Definitely for the purist only. It is an impressive ride, though. installation probably not for the backyard mechanic. HTH. Been there, but didn't do that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com